The Falcons could make a deep playoff run in 2021.

I hope so, but I’m not going to get my hopes up. Would honestly be happy with 9-8 just to be above .500. Making the playoffs would be nice.

I really just expect a 6-8 win season though. Offense will be better, but the defense needs some work 

4 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Im a huge falcons fan top to bottom.. But im also honest with myself.. Im not going to post foolish things here just because im a fan of the team.. Ive been here since 2010, but I also know a turd just by the smell.. And we absolutely do not have a competitive team this season.. Would you rather me be delusional and say i believe we'll be a good team in our current form?? Im just not that guy, sorry

3 hours ago, PointSwayzee said:

Well said.

So ******* tired of every fanboy getting upset when a poster writes something that most likely will be the truth. Like all the sudden that 18-30 record, culminated by that wonderful 4-12 showing last year just never happened. 3 straight seasons of being ELIMINATED by mid season never happened. It's like 10 year old kids that claim their dad is stronger and can beat up another kids dad.

But, those who are realist(or called pessimists) here are always accused of being trolls and "non-fans" despite being definitely more "right" than the fanboys in the last 3 years..

Plenty of good happening with this team, plenty to look forward too. We got a GM and coach that appear to be fantastic(especially AS in my opinion), Pitts, but its not enough to stop there. Apparently you have to constantly win the super fan award to be in the "accepted crowd". 

The reality is, when you post stuff like this, you are basically just deflecting. It’s a defense mechanism. Nobody on these boards actually thinks this is a SB team. Most people think the team will however be better now that Quinn and Koetter are gone. Which is actually fair and realistic expectations. 
Neither of you are actually “realists” by thinking the team will suck. Slum, your skepticism on the team isn’t what’s “foolish”. The foolish posts from you are when you say things like “Watch the Titans win the super bowl now…Arthur Smith must’ve owed his old team” is pure emotion and quite foolish. 

1 hour ago, ATLskinjob said:

I'm really getting sick of all of these smug self-appointed "realists" around here. All doom and gloom with nothing to back it up, and somehow convinced that if you're being a negative d1ck, then it makes you right by default, and that if you have any optimism as a fan you're a "homer" which apparently just means that you want your team to do well. 

One thing that all you gritty, "hard-nosed", bootstrap-pulling, "realists" that are too afraid to love again after being burned are not taking into account is how easy our schedule is looking right now. Eagles, Giants, Jets, Jags, Panthers, Lions, Cowboys, are all very very winnable games for this roster. 7 "easy" wins right there.

I wouldn’t put the Giants, Panthers, or Cowboys with those other teams. Giants defense is legit, Cowboys have one of the most talented offenses in the league, and Carolina is actually talented on both sides, they just mainly depend on if Darnold can perform or not. Even the jags have talent albeit mostly offensively, but I wouldn’t count them out. With that said, every game except the giants and cowboys, we should be the favored team. The fact that our schedule is so favorable is why I don’t think this team is going to be worse than a 6 win team. 

4 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Rams were 4-12 in 2016 and brought in an offensive minded head coach and were a playoff team in 2017 with an explosive offense. The Jaguars were 3-13 in 2016 and made the AFC championship game in 2017. Probably should have won that game. The Packers to were bad in 2018 and brought in a new offensive minded creative head coach and they made the nfc championship game with offense looking explosive.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Falcons offense was explosive in 2021 and we made some noise in the playoffs. In fact it I expect it because of Arthur Smith and Dean Pees.

4 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

We were 4-12 with (Pigtrino) in 07' turned it around to 11-5 under Smitty in 08'. We can point to our own history for this. 

4 hours ago, celtiksage said:

Also went to 11-5 with Mora after Reeves. 8-8 and then 11-5 immediately after Smitty.

Yeah the year after a coaching change seems to be one of our better years. I'm hoping for 10-7 and expecting 9-8. Would be nice to pick up one playoff win as a WC but I'm not expecting it. 

We play half our games against teams with first year QBs on their new team or rookie QBs. We have as good a shot as they do to win those games.

If you want to know the formula for winning games, it is really simple.... so simple it infuriates me that our coaches, at times, seem to refuse to do it.   Here is the formula that will lead us to winning games again:

Run... The... Dayum... Ball!

When Reeves came in, the Falcons went on a big losing streak because Jamal Anderson (the RB ok) was out.  Anderson came back, and the Falcons started winning.  Next season we went to the Super Bowl behind Anderson's running.

Mora came in, brought Alex Gibbs with him, who turned the Falcons into in of the best running teams the NFL has ever seen.   We won some games under Mora.   Big reason Petrino lost wasn't just losing Vick, it was having no run game.  Smitty got hired, but before that happened the Falcons went after Michael Turner, who lead us to five consecutive winning seasons.   Quinn went 8-8 but could have easily gone 12-4... thing is, Quinn allowed Kyle Shanahan to get away from the run game.  When Quinn finally put his foot down and made Kyle run the ball?  The Falcons beat the 14-0 Panthers.  In 2016, behind a very good -overall- offense, we went to the Super Bowl.  Even last season, when we ran the ball well, we tended to win those games.

Arthur Smith has an idea how to win.   He will emphasize the run game.  When he does that the Falcons will be one of those "surprise" teams you referred to.....

1 minute ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I wouldn’t put the Giants, Panthers, or Cowboys with those other teams. Giants defense is legit, Cowboys have one of the most talented offenses in the league, and Carolina is actually talented on both sides, they just mainly depend on if Darnold can perform or not. Even the jags have talent albeit mostly offensively, but I wouldn’t count them out. With that said, every game except the giants and cowboys, we should be the favored team. The fact that our schedule is so favorable is why I don’t think this team is going to be worse than a 6 win team. 

I think that the Cowboys have the best chance at being competitive just because they've got a good roster. But Mike McCarthy couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Lol he hired Quinn because Mccarthy was the one coach he could always beat.

And I do admit that the Giants have assembled a stout D, but that offense is such a mess. They've had lots of coaching failures recently too. They just don't have that it factor. They look beatable to me.

I'm really betting that Darnold doesn't magically blossom in Carolina. He's been very very bad. Especially last season. Carolina was crazy to pick Horn over Fields and Mac. I do appreciate their offensive scheme though. It was very friendly to Bridgewater. Nice and simple with a strong running game, and they've devoted a lot of draft capital to the defense, but that has yet to really pan out. I really think that Pees and Smith will easily out scheme them though. The Panthers are still trying to find their way too much to be a real threat though. And anyways, I only counted them as 1 win and not 2. 

4 hours ago, Slumerican said:

I absolutely believe we'll be a good team in 22..but I don't believe AS has the pieces he needs right now to put his plan together.. But come 22 im expecting huge improvements

It won't work bro . Common sense on this message board during the off season doesn't exist. And now you're going to be killed by all these message board bullies who have like a thousand post on here which automatically makes them experts. If you want to get along with them, I'll give you a few tips. 1- Matt Ryan's going to be the best quarterback in this division. 2 - Arthur Smith will be the best coach in this division. 3- Ridley  will be the best wide receiver in this division. 4-our defense will be the best defense in division. 5- we'll go from worse to first in the division. 6- Matt Ryan will win MVP. 7- and the Falcons will go along and win the super bowl. Oh by the way did I mention that Pitts will be the greatest tight end ever to play the game. 

I don't think the Falcons will do well this year either. Our offensive line is concerning. Our secondary is concerning. Our pass rush is concerning. Our depth is concerning. Our brand new staff is trying to teach a bunch of guys a new system with new terminology and lots of new responsibilities. It isn't how fast you can run from A to B, A to C, or A to D. It is how quick will you realize where you need to go. Give them three years. Let them get out of cap trouble and get some guys they like that fit their system in here. 

And stop telling everyone that doesn't think we are going to the playoffs this year that they don't belong here. They do. It takes a real fan to stick with a team like ours year after year. It is easy to be a Patriots or a Chiefs fan. 

2 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

It won't work bro . Common sense on this message board during the off season doesn't exist. And now you're going to be killed by all these message board bullies who have like a thousand post on here which automatically makes them experts. If you want to get along with them, I'll give you a few tips. 1- Matt Ryan's going to be the best quarterback in this division. 2 - Arthur Smith will be the best coach in this division. 3- Ridley  will be the best wide receiver in this division. 4-our defense will be the best defense in division. 5- we'll go from worse to first in the division. 6- Matt Ryan will win MVP. 7- and the Falcons will go along and win the super bowl. Oh by the way did I mention that Pitts will be the greatest tight end ever to play the game. 

Go find a post from a vet that has said any of this…good luck 

5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Rams were 4-12 in 2016 and brought in an offensive minded head coach and were a playoff team in 2017 with an explosive offense. The Jaguars were 3-13 in 2016 and made the AFC championship game in 2017. Probably should have won that game. The Packers to were bad in 2018 and brought in a new offensive minded creative head coach and they made the nfc championship game with offense looking explosive.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Falcons offense was explosive in 2021 and we made some noise in the playoffs. In fact it I expect it because of Arthur Smith and Dean Pees.

It's not crazy.  I think we are fundamentally a better team.  How we fair remains to be seen.

5 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

I don't think the Falcons will do well this year either. Our offensive line is concerning. Our secondary is concerning. Our pass rush is concerning. Our depth is concerning. Our brand new staff is trying to teach a bunch of guys a new system with new terminology and lots of new responsibilities. It isn't how fast you can run from A to B, A to C, or A to D. It is how quick will you realize where you need to go. Give them three years. Let them get out of cap trouble and get some guys they like that fit their system in here. 

And stop telling everyone that doesn't think we are going to the playoffs this year that they don't belong here. They do. It takes a real fan to stick with a team like ours year after year. It is easy to be a Patriots or a Chiefs fan. 

I think our OL will be better than you think. Always felt our biggest issues on that front were coaching related and now we've got the right guy in. Getting a good running game will help us in the passing game, the late game situations, and on defense so I think we will be better than last year (although we were probably more like a 6/7 win team than a 4 win team last year).

The defense though will take some time. With better scheming, I think we can be better, but I agree that the pass rush concerns me a bit (and it has for like 20 years it feels like...). Don't sleep on some of the secondary guys though. Terrell looked good and I think this Grant kid is going to do some good things too.

Overall I think we will be more fundamentally sound in all phases of the game which will get us from 4 wins to 7 or 8 quickly. I'd probably say looking at the schedule 8-9 or 9-8. But if you factor in the Falcons sadness factor, I lower that to between 6-11 and 8-9 lol.

47 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Carolina is actually talented on both sides, they just mainly depend on if Darnold can perform or not.

I agree with a lot of what you say but not this. They're universally regarded as having one of the worst rosters. Now, that doesn't mean anything since teams surprise all the time. On paper, they're bad even before we discuss QB concerns, though.

Well said.

So ******* tired of every fanboy getting upset when a poster writes something that most likely will be the truth. Like all the sudden that 18-30 record, culminated by that wonderful 4-12 showing last year just never happened. 3 straight seasons of being ELIMINATED by mid season never happened. It's like 10 year old kids that claim their dad is stronger and can beat up another kids dad.

But, those who are realist(or called pessimists) here are always accused of being trolls and "non-fans" despite being definitely more "right" than the fanboys in the last 3 years..

Plenty of good happening with this team, plenty to look forward too. We got a GM and coach that appear to be fantastic(especially AS in my opinion), Pitts, but its not enough to stop there. Apparently you have to constantly win the super fan award to be in the "accepted crowd". 

What makes the 2021 Atlanta Falcons worst than the 2020 Atlanta Falcons? Please do tell how the Falcons will quite possibly be worse in your "realistic" prediction.

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Falcons definitely seem like the type of team that could flip that switch. Especially if Pitts is a beast.

Especially since they weren't nowhere near as bad as their 4-12 record made them out to be. Coaching directly lost 4 games for the Falcons last year. But nope, somehow the Falcons are worse than they were last year and are only gonna win 3 games.

Not saying it can't happen because it could. Just there is literally no indicators that we should be that type of team. New system, no Julio(who many are simply butthurt at and discount his value), and Dean Pees has literally walk on water with the "Bad news Bears of defense".

Lets let AS and TF get this thing the way they want, and then worry about predicting deep playoff runs.

Wide receivers do not make or break seasons. The Falcons offense should be BETTER in 2021 than it was in 2020 simply because of coaching. We're going from one of the worst offensive minds in football to one of the best and we still have loads of talent on offense even without Julio. And lastly, whether you want to admit it or not, Matt Ryan is still a top 10 QB in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Slumerican said:

And straight up, the Lions, Jags, Jets and Cowboys gonna be alot more competitive than I think you're giving credit for 

So will the team you're supposedly a "fan" of. Oh wait, that's right....Now I'm going straight homer again. Lions and Jets will be competitive but the Falcons won't? Holy delusional badman!!!

59 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The reality is, when you post stuff like this, you are basically just deflecting. It’s a defense mechanism. Nobody on these boards actually thinks this is a SB team. Most people think the team will however be better now that Quinn and Koetter are gone. Which is actually fair and realistic expectations. 
Neither of you are actually “realists” by thinking the team will suck. Slum, your skepticism on the team isn’t what’s “foolish”. The foolish posts from you are when you say things like “Watch the Titans win the super bowl now…Arthur Smith must’ve owed his old team” is pure emotion and quite foolish. 

Some how thinking the Falcons will be better than they were last year and potentially make the playoffs means they're gonna win the Super Bowl....Who knew?

8 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I know you weren’t. But I get annoyed when threads turn into people complaining that this place is filled with homers and you have to be one to be accepted. That isn’t true at all

I know. And you're right. No one should apologize for being a fan of the Falcons. I'm a fan of the Falcons. I just wish people could , what's the best way to say this, ...... keep things in perspective. Just be real. I do believe though there's a difference between a fan and a fanatic. So I'm going to quit using the word Homer, and start using fanatic. Anyway, you just keep doing what you do brother. 

56 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

So being a mod makes you qualified to make that assessment, huh? My wife is a clinical psychologist, so I'll make sure I give her your pearls of wisdom regarding deflection.

I don't disagree that we will be better, but check the title of the thread your responding in and you might want to retract that statement about being a contender. There was a thread not too long ago regarding record predictions. When multiple posters predict 11+ wins, you absolutely can not tell me that a fair portion of this board in fact believes we are a contender.

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

If you want to know the formula for winning games, it is really simple.... so simple it infuriates me that our coaches, at times, seem to refuse to do it.   Here is the formula that will lead us to winning games again:

Run... The... Dayum... Ball!

When Reeves came in, the Falcons went on a big losing streak because Jamal Anderson (the RB ok) was out.  Anderson came back, and the Falcons started winning.  Next season we went to the Super Bowl behind Anderson's running.

Mora came in, brought Alex Gibbs with him, who turned the Falcons into in of the best running teams the NFL has ever seen.   We won some games under Mora.   Big reason Petrino lost wasn't just losing Vick, it was having no run game.  Smitty got hired, but before that happened the Falcons went after Michael Turner, who lead us to five consecutive winning seasons.   Quinn went 8-8 but could have easily gone 12-4... thing is, Quinn allowed Kyle Shanahan to get away from the run game.  When Quinn finally put his foot down and made Kyle run the ball?  The Falcons beat the 14-0 Panthers.  In 2016, behind a very good -overall- offense, we went to the Super Bowl.  Even last season, when we ran the ball well, we tended to win those games.

Arthur Smith has an idea how to win.   He will emphasize the run game.  When he does that the Falcons will be one of those "surprise" teams you referred to.....

What's so funny about the run the ball thing is that I believe it was PFF that said last year that running the ball was overrated.

14 minutes ago, jidady said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but not this. They're universally regarded as having one of the worst rosters. Now, that doesn't mean anything since teams surprise all the time. On paper, they're bad even before we discuss QB concerns, though.

I disagree. CMC and Hubbard as the backup at RB and Anderson and Moore at WR are a problem. Their d-line has Burns, Brown, and Gross-Matos. Their LB corps is fairly lackluster, and easily the worst in the division (granted the NFC South is currently LB central). Their secondary isn’t great but Chinn is a baller and they’ve got some young prospects at CB. If Darnold plays well then the panthers are a dark horse playoff contender. 

40 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

waaa-i-need-a-safe-space.jpg