The Falcons could make a deep playoff run in 2021.

27 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

I'm curious why you're on these boards, when there is absolutely nothing about this team that you like.

Im a huge falcons fan top to bottom.. But im also honest with myself.. Im not going to post foolish things here just because im a fan of the team.. Ive been here since 2010, but I also know a turd just by the smell.. And we absolutely do not have a competitive team this season.. Would you rather me be delusional and say i believe we'll be a good team in our current form?? Im just not that guy, sorry

2 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Im a huge falcons fan top to bottom.. But im also honest with myself.. Im not going to post foolish things here just because im a fan of the team.. Ive been here since 2010, but I also know a turd just by the smell.. And we absolutely do not have a competitive team this season.. Would you rather me be delusional and say i believe we'll be a good team in our current form?? Im just not that guy, sorry

Delusional is thinking the Falcons will only win 3 games this year.

2 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Delusional is thinking the Falcons will only win 3 games this year.

Its very possible imo, im taking everything into consideration.. Including the lack of depth we have in several key positions along with the age of Ryan.. Im actually a fan of AJ, but im not sold he can lead this team if Ryan does go down. Imo, our success depends on what type of second half team we are.. If we can play 4 quarters of competitive football we have a chance.. But thats a long shot right now imo

I’ve been pretty vocal about not being high on this roster, but I’m not counting out the possibility of a 10-7, wildcard type of season. Smith is a good coach and so is Pees. Ryan is still out QB. We have enough offensively and looking back over our defense it’s not quite as bad as I initially evaluated, granted it’s still the lower half of the league in terms of talent. I don’t think this team will win less than 6, and especially not 3-4 games like some people people are saying in both the media and on these boards, the schedule is just too favorable for us to be that bad. 

Glad I have someone on ignore.  It is OK to be positive.  It is OK to be negative.  It is not OK to be negative because everything top to bottom sucks.  When you start believing everything is good, or everything is bad, you need to look within.  The thing you are assessing and condemning is not because of the thing in assessment.  It is you.  You are the problem.  Go fix that and come back later.  You are not converting the forum to your sky is falling dogma.  You are not convincing anyone on here there is no hope.  Why do you continue?  Do you know you are ineffective?  Do you see the rejection in this thread alone?  Do you see anything for what it is? 

I go into every season being optimistic. I think we can compete with any team. Im not the type of fan to go "oh we are a playoff team" or "we're going to the super bowl" All that does is setting you up for disappointment if things go sour during the season. Now I wont do is calling our team not competitive because that is a insult to the guys busting their tails off in camp. How can you say that and the season hasnt started yet? We dont need that negativity. 

1 hour ago, Slumerican said:

If the Falcons make a playoff run in 2021, ill make a movie about it.. And honestly itll be the most unbelievable sports documentary in history of sports lol

If so, can I play Julio Jones at the beginning of the movie high-tailing it for the Titans?

I'm 5'8 and white... will that be a problem? 🙃

48 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Yep sloppy. Why make a guard play center who never played center before? Cause your lil Kyle.

He was trying to piece the line together. It was all we had.  We didn't have a true center thanks to TD. Mack was a huge improvement and made most of the difference. 

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

Also went to 11-5 with Mora after Reeves. 8-8 and then 11-5 immediately after Smitty.

Yeah the year after a coaching change seems to be one of our better years. I'm hoping for 10-7 and expecting 9-8. Would be nice to pick up one playoff win as a WC but I'm not expecting it. 

We play half our games against teams with first year QBs on their new team or rookie QBs. We have as good a shot as they do to win those games.

You’re omitting Mora to Petrino and then Smith to Quinn.

Falcons ended up with top 10 picks in those years.

One thing Mora and Smitty had that Quinn & Arthur Smith did not. A true stud pass rusher on the roster.

1 hour ago, Slumerican said:

Well said.

So ******* tired of every fanboy getting upset when a poster writes something that most likely will be the truth. Like all the sudden that 18-30 record, culminated by that wonderful 4-12 showing last year just never happened. 3 straight seasons of being ELIMINATED by mid season never happened. It's like 10 year old kids that claim their dad is stronger and can beat up another kids dad.

But, those who are realist(or called pessimists) here are always accused of being trolls and "non-fans" despite being definitely more "right" than the fanboys in the last 3 years..

Plenty of good happening with this team, plenty to look forward too. We got a GM and coach that appear to be fantastic(especially AS in my opinion), Pitts, but its not enough to stop there. Apparently you have to constantly win the super fan award to be in the "accepted crowd". 

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Packers offense in 2019 wasn't all that great. They made the playoffs in 2019 thanks to one of the best defenses in the NFL.

But this has happened lots of times in the NFL. Teams go from bad to really good in the span of a year. The Rams went from 4-12 to SB champs in 1999.

The Falcons definitely seem like the type of team that could flip that switch. Especially if Pitts is a beast.

6 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Well said.

So ******* tired of every fanboy getting upset when a poster writes something that most likely will be the truth. Like all the sudden that 18-30 record, culminated by that wonderful 4-12 showing last year just never happened. 3 straight seasons of being ELIMINATED by mid season never happened. It's like 10 year old kids that claim their dad is stronger and can beat up another kids dad.

But, those who are realist(or called pessimists) here are always accused of being trolls and "non-fans" despite being definitely more "right" than the fanboys in the last 3 years..

Plenty of good happening with this team, plenty to look forward too. We got a GM and coach that appear to be fantastic(especially AS in my opinion), Pitts, but its not enough to stop there. Apparently you have to constantly win the super fan award to be in the "accepted crowd". 

That's the way the Falcons have always been. They have seasons where they come out of nowhere and make deep playoff runs. 1991, 1998, 2002 2004, 2008 and 2016 all came out of nowhere. But I admit I'm not expecting a deep playoff run until 2022 or 2023. I'm expecting a wild card birth in 2021 with a possible playoff victory. The Falcons are due a playoff birth. They haven't missed the playoffs 4 straight seasons since the 80's.

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

That's the way the Falcons have always been. They have seasons where they come out of nowhere and make deep playoff runs. 1991, 1998, 2002 2004, 2008 and 2016 all came out of nowhere. But I admit I'm not expecting a deep playoff run until 2022 or 2023. I'm expecting a wild card birth in 2021 with a possible playoff victory. The Falcons are due a playoff birth. They haven't missed the playoffs 4 straight seasons since the 80's.

Not saying it can't happen because it could. Just there is literally no indicators that we should be that type of team. New system, no Julio(who many are simply butthurt at and discount his value), and Dean Pees has literally walk on water with the "Bad news Bears of defense".

Lets let AS and TF get this thing the way they want, and then worry about predicting deep playoff runs.

57 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Well said.

Being a realist myself, I respect the take. However, some on here (not you) post it in a way that isn't the most respectful or thoughtful way to approach things. I've had trade Julio threads long ago and bring in Huron at safety before it happened and many disagreed, but I was never accused of being a troll or not a fan. 

3 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Ridley has already proven himself to be a #1 receiver and Gage played very well as the #2. If Pitts is everything he's billed to be, then that's just one more weapon. Davis is a better running back than anyone we had last year, and we actually have depth on the offensive line now. Then take all of that and realize it's being schemed by a guy that had the #10 and #4 scoring offenses in 2019 and 2020, and there really isn't a reason to be worried about the offenses ability to put up points. 

Defensively, I have full trust in Pees who's had 8 of his 12 defenses, across 3 different teams, finish with a top 10 scoring defense. 

One more note - even if the defense doesn't make much improvement, in may not matter. The 2020 defense allowed just 0.5 points more per game than the 2016 defense. We went pretty far with that squad. Even still, I expect at least a small jump from the defense given Pees being in control. 

And no, I'm not some overly optimistic offseason guy. Last year I was saying 'we know what Koetter is and we know what Quinn isn't' - I just didn't think it would look that bad. Put Pees and Smith in charge of last years team, and they're in the playoffs. 

I completely agree with your take. One negative factor I could see with the offense is the Matt Ryan new OC adjustment season that we saw with Shanny in ‘16, Sark in ‘17, and Koetter in ‘18. I’m hopeful Arthur Smith’s scheme is close enough to Shanny’s ‘16 that we will have a minimal scheme adjustment period and the offense will be rolling early in the season, but admittedly this is my biggest fear for not making the playoffs this season.

I'm really getting sick of all of these smug self-appointed "realists" around here. All doom and gloom with nothing to back it up, and somehow convinced that if you're being a negative d1ck, then it makes you right by default, and that if you have any optimism as a fan you're a "homer" which apparently just means that you want your team to do well. 

One thing that all you gritty, "hard-nosed", bootstrap-pulling, "realists" that are too afraid to love again after being burned are not taking into account is how easy our schedule is looking right now. Eagles, Giants, Jets, Jags, Panthers, Lions, Cowboys, are all very very winnable games for this roster. 7 "easy" wins right there.

Edited by ATLskinjob

2 hours ago, ROMERO said:

I go into every season being optimistic. I think we can compete with any team. Im not the type of fan to go "oh we are a playoff team" or "we're going to the super bowl" All that does is setting you up for disappointment if things go sour during the season. Now I wont do is calling our team not competitive because that is a insult to the guys busting their tails off in camp. How can you say that and the season hasnt started yet? We dont need that negativity. 

I'm excited every season. This will be the 45th for me. One of my lowest points as a fan was one off the Marion Campbell II seasons. We opened against the creamsicle Bucks in Tampa and they best us like, 45 to 10. During the post game show, one of the announcers, I believe Ahmad Rashad, said " It's impossible to say who will be in the Super Bow after game one, but you sure can say who won't be, and the Atlanta Falcons won't be." I believe that some of our most recent fans don't realize how rotton if has been,from time to time, in the past!

GO FALCONS!!!!

41 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

I'm really getting sick of all of these smug self-appointed "realists" around here. All doom and gloom with nothing to back it up, and somehow convinced that if you're being a negative d1ck, then it makes you right by default, and that if you have any optimism as a fan you're a "homer" which apparently just means that you want your team to do well. 

One thing that all you gritty, "hard-nosed", bootstrap-pulling, "realists" that are too afraid to love again after being burned are not taking into account is how easy our schedule is looking right now. Eagles, Giants, Jets, Jags, Panthers, Lions, Cowboys, are all very very winnable games for this roster. 7 "easy" wins right there.

You gonna be ok if those easy win teams spank our rump?? Cause that what bothers me.. I heard several times last season we should win this or that game and when we didn't everybody wanted to fire the staff.. And not saying it wasn't warranted, but the lack of talent was also a huge factor 

45 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

And straight up, the Lions, Jags, Jets and Cowboys gonna be alot more competitive than I think you're giving credit for 

1 minute ago, Slumerican said:

You gonna be ok if those easy win teams spank our rump?? Cause that what bothers me.. I heard several times last season we should win this or that game and when we didn't everybody wanted to fire the staff.. And not saying it wasn't warranted, but the lack of talent was also a huge factor 

Personally I think they Art is building the team to not lose these should-win games. Our team would just get physically pushed around by bigger but less talented teams all the time due to Quinn's stupid fast and physical mould. Smith and Fontenot are already buffing up the size of the guys we've got.

Also, Dean Pees is a really really really good defensive coordinator. Like, so good that his defenses have been responsible for multiple Super Bowl wins.

And we know that Arthur can make chicken salad out of chicken ****. King Henry had done almost nothing before Smith got there, and Ryan Tannehill was really straying into bust territory, but Smith turned him into a top 5 QB. And we already know that Ryan thrives in a good WCO that runs the ball effectively, and that's exactly what Smith does.

I just don't get why you have zero optimism for this season, when there's clearly so much to look forward to.

6 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

And straight up, the Lions, Jags, Jets and Cowboys gonna be alot more competitive than I think you're giving credit for 

Dak is legit, I'll give you that. But they hired Dan freaking Quinn to run their D and let him pretty much run their entire draft. That tells you all you need to know about that team.

Lions are in a full scale rebuild and they picked up Goff, who has been pretty mediocre. And they have no defense.

Jags have disaster written all over them. Urban Meyer is already making tons of mistakes. We'll see if TLaw can handle losing. That roster ain't very good also.

Jets have very little talent on that team. Everyone that was talented got out. I do think that eventually they'll be pretty ok. I think Wilson will be legit. But they ain't gonna be good this season.

5 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

Dak is legit, I'll give you that. But they hired Dan freaking Quinn to run their D and let him pretty much run their entire draft. That tells you all you need to know about that team.

Lions are in a full scale rebuild and they picked up Goff, who has been pretty mediocre. And they have no defense.

Jags have disaster written all over them. Urban Meyer is already making tons of mistakes. We'll see if TLaw can handle losing. That roster ain't very good also.

Jets have very little talent on that team. Everyone that was talented got out. I do think that eventually they'll be pretty ok. I think Wilson will be legit. But they ain't gonna be good this season.

What makes us a better team? Detroit lost Stafford and the Falcons lost Julio, Detroit beat us last season but they suck and rebuilding and we are legit. Good stuff.

Edited by PointSwayzee

11 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

What makes us a better team? Detroit lost Stafford and the Falcons lost Julio, Detroit beat us last season but they suck and rebuilding and we are legit. Good stuff.

You kidding me? Stafford and our defense won that one for em. They never should have been even close in that game. Our roster is objectively way way better. And wasn't that the game where Gurley ran in the TD instead of kneeling and that lost it for us? We were one stupid mental error away from winning that one.

And while we both have new head coaches, at least Smith has been running a very successful offense for the last few years. Like top 5 successful. Dan Campbell was pretty much just a TE coach for the Saints that got bumped into being a HC. He's got way more to prove than AS.

Also, the Lions haven't even sniffed being good since Calvin Johnson was there. We at least made the playoffs and won some games. 

Furthermore, they have stated that they are rebuilding. We have stated that our coach thinks that we can be competitive with this roster, and I believe him. He knows his X's and O's.

I'm curious as to what makes you think that the Lions are better than us this coming season, cause they look like crap on paper.

Good stuff though.

Edited by ATLskinjob