Russell Gage talks wisdom gained from Julio Jones: If you're going to make a mistake, make it at full speed - AtlantaFalcons.com

look at all the hesitation moves.

go to the .40 second mark

I'm honest to god going through every Julio career touchdown right now and i haven't come across him doing this yet.

Edited by abcranford2

56 minutes ago, jetpac said:

Absolutely obvious he did not. And his attempt at critiquing arguably one of the great WRs to ever play is hilarious. Like I get it the guy doesn't play for us anymore but these types of "observations" never happen if he still has a Falcons Jersey on.

I love Julio...he's a bama boy.  One of the greatest to ever do it.  I've been saying this for years though.  He's probably the greatest ever at breaking db's off at the top of his routes though.  What he does to db's when he breaks his routes off is just nasty.  It just doesn't seem to translate as well to the redzone where the field is condensed. 

Edited by abcranford2

5 hours ago, abcranford2 said:

Same reason he gets tripped up on the 1 yd line all the time.   When he catches the ball he runs full speed right at the defender.  Just slow down a bit, put a hesitation move on them or hold them off with your long arms, and walk into the endzone.  

Julio?  Nope...running full speed and gonna trip over the defender after running him over.

What a crock of ****..  

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

That is absolutely not why. He draws extra coverage in the Redzone. You think AB slows down in the Redzone? If you understand DC’s the one thing they focus on is trying to take your best player away. Bill Belichik lives by this. Take the main guy away and MAKE the other guys beat you. Their mindset is they may score but it ain’t gonna be Julio or AB or Hopkins or Irvin or Moss etc…

Not just that, but the back of the end zone becomes another defender. Julio excels in space and it's hard to run past multiple defenders when you run out of it.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Not just that, but the back of the end zone becomes another defender. Julio excels in space and it's hard to run past multiple defenders when you run out of it.

Yes they use the boundary as an extra defender. 

4 hours ago, jetpac said:

Absolutely obvious he did not. And his attempt at critiquing arguably one of the great WRs to ever play is hilarious. Like I get it the guy doesn't play for us anymore but these types of "observations" never happen if he still has a Falcons Jersey on.

Exactly 

3 hours ago, abcranford2 said:

I love Julio...he's a bama boy.  One of the greatest to ever do it.  I've been saying this for years though.  He's probably the greatest ever at breaking db's off at the top of his routes though.  What he does to db's when he breaks his routes off is just nasty.  It just doesn't seem to translate as well to the redzone where the field is condensed. 

A lot of that also had to do with Matt has never been a beast In the Redzone either. At least not without creative play calling. He won’t make the kind of throw that Aaron Rodgers would make in the red zone. As soon as the ball is snapped he makes a fast ball throw. That’s not Matt’s game. Again, Julio draws an @ss of coverage in the red zone and Matt just doesn’t attempt to throw to him unless it’s a desperate attempt. Again why would you force the ball to Julio when you have other guys more than capable of catching the ball in a 1 on 1 situation? The times Julio was left 1 on 1 in the Redzone he made them pay. But those were few and far in between. 

That was the take away?

On the serious tip though, this philosophy reminds me of the concept that was popular in IT for a few years which was "fail fast and often.". Aside from being a bad idea, it was misexecuted by most managers(SHOCK) and caused problems everywhere I encountered it, as well as long lasting residual issues.

32 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

A lot of that also had to do with Matt has never been a beast In the Redzone either. At least not without creative play calling. He won’t make the kind of throw that Aaron Rodgers would make in the red zone. As soon as the ball is snapped he makes a fast ball throw. That’s not Matt’s game. Again, Julio draws an @ss of coverage in the red zone and Matt just doesn’t attempt to throw to him unless it’s a desperate attempt. Again why would you force the ball to Julio when you have other guys more than capable of catching the ball in a 1 on 1 situation? The times Julio was left 1 on 1 in the Redzone he made them pay. But those were few and far in between. 

yea, i just always wished Julio would add that element to his game like that video I posted of Moss.  Stacking the defender early.  Julio is a master at getting on top of the defender and forcing the defender to flip his hips before breaking his route off though.