CFP panel recommends expanding to 12

Unknøwn

Auto bids only make any sense at all if there is relatively comparable difficulty in winning a conference. If we’re taking the subjectivity out of determining who the best teams are, blanketly rewarding conference champions is a poor objective measure.

All conferences are not created equally. I agree the playoff format could be better and benefit from a bit of expansion and inclusion, but there is a fine line here between improving the format and diluting the competitive integrity. 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Auto bids only make any sense at all if there is relatively comparable difficulty in winning a conference. If we’re taking the subjectivity out of determining who the best teams are, blanketly rewarding conference champions is a poor objective measure.

All conferences are not created equally. I agree the playoff format could be better and benefit from a bit of expansion and inclusion, but there is a fine line here between improving the format and diluting the competitive integrity. 

In terms of picking the best teams, and making the games the most competitive, you are absolutely right

In terms of making the most money...well

3 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

In terms of picking the best teams, and making the games the most competitive, you are absolutely right

In terms of making the most money...well

Yeah, like just about everything else profit motives override actual quality so I expect we will get the dumbest set of rules yet but it will bring in more $$$

We've learned that ACC commissioner Jim Phillips is part of the delay. He's concerned about health and wellness with the number of games. Hes also concerned the increased games will impact academics. He believes there's no rush to expand and now may not be the time. 

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

We've learned that ACC commissioner Jim Phillips is part of the delay. He's concerned about health and wellness with the number of games. Hes also concerned the increased games will impact academics. He believes there's no rush to expand and now may not be the time. 

If only there weren't a robust playoff system already in college football for many years lol... where do all these useless leaders come from

It’s really interesting to look at the FCS system. There is a 4 week playoff bracket with 24 total teams. Best teams get a bye. 

Even if you lead with the “but we have bowls” conversations they could be managed if the CFP took 12 teams with 4 earning bye. Plus the secondary result could be fewer stupid bowls. 

28 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

It’s really interesting to look at the FCS system. There is a 4 week playoff bracket with 24 total teams. Best teams get a bye. 

Even if you lead with the “but we have bowls” conversations they could be managed if the CFP took 12 teams with 4 earning bye. Plus the secondary result could be fewer stupid bowls. 

Never going to happen

Too much money in the schools who almost never get on prime time TV without a bowl and the companies that sponsor them

3 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

Never going to happen

Too much money in the schools who almost never get on prime time TV without a bowl and the companies that sponsor them

I know.  I'm not arguing that point.  But I do believe there is a realistic way the CFP can make more sense.  And it would benefit schools and sponsors to do so.  Even with a 12 team format with a bye for tops that only adds 2 weeks, both of which are already off weeks.  

As it is now, Cincinnati is a political decision, good, very good, but 5 SEC, 3 Big10, 2 Big12 and 1 PAC12 teams would make short work of them, as it is now, Bama gets a walk off win same as when the committee caved and let in Washington.  

In reality there is no technically fair way to accommodate a playoff system with the amount of programs and the amount of conferences.  So I completely understand the reason it has to be a small number.  

By the way, if you're bored enough, this is classic Arrow's Impossibility Theorem, there is no mathematically prudent way to choose fairly.  

I don't hate that it's a small group and I don't even hate the very subjective method for selection.  But with 5 Power 5 conferences, 5 Group of 5, and some stragglers, each with at least 10 teams expanding to 12 makes more sense than leaving "money on the table" every year.

Edited by Killing Floor

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

The CFP board is pretty corrupt. They’re never going to change unless it costs money to keep status quo. As it is right now they’ll have to cave in and put a weak PAC12 team in it next year to keep market share. 

SEC commissioner mentioned it's not in the best interest of the sport to not have half the country invested in the playoffs. He said that the SEC of course hasn't asked for expansion but he's open to it and that the ones who did ask for it are the ones that are balking and arguing about everything. He did mention he thinks the SEC deserves two bids. I could see that being a sticking point with other P5's. 

16 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

SEC commissioner mentioned it's not in the best interest of the sport to not have half the country invested in the playoffs. He said that the SEC of course hasn't asked for expansion but he's open to it and that the ones who did ask for it are the ones that are balking and arguing about everything. He did mention he thinks the SEC deserves two bids. I could see that being a sticking point with other P5's. 

I’m a Big12 guy by my own background. And even to me, if you’re honest, most years you could argue at least 4 of the best 8 are SEC. That’s the difference between fair and pleasing everyone. In reality there are no ACC teams in 2021 who were deserving. I’d go either way on Big10 this year even though most years there is 1 or 2 with a case. That’s why it’s reasonable to expand. If the 2 best teams in the country are in the same conference and they play each other one will lose. But that doesn’t mean they’re not the 2nd best team. Cincinnati, for example, was not even the 10th best team. So by expanding they can make space for teams with losses that are playing harder schedules. My opinion. 

38 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I mean...adding more teams will probably increase the chance of having 2 SEC teams in the Championship, but whatever they have to tell themselves I guess

That's probably part of the holdup. The Pac 12 has said they're willing to accept anything cause they desperately want that autobid. The other P5's probably want to cap the SEC. The last thing they want is 3 or 4 SEC schools in. They all went and formed that little alliance to stop the SEC. Seeding is probably an issue too. The plan is to have higher seeds host the first round or two on their campus. Those P5 teams probably aren't eager to travel to a G5 school if their champ is ranked higher. 

ACC commissioner says they will not support CFP expansion at this time. He said with the NCAA constitutional convention looming they need to worry about how the new NCAA will look. He basically said that with 4 years remaining in the current CFP agreement there's no need to do it right now. 

As has been mentioned how salty will everybody be when there are 3 SEC teams in the final 4. 

Mostly though I m against expansion, after watching Williamson go down. More games mean potentially more injuries, but lastly can we even find 12 teams that deserve a shot? 

Im thinking most years with 12 teams we would get 1 good game out of every 4 games. Not to mention the 2 final teams fans will have to make 3 trips to see their teams unless some games are played on campus . Which Im a proponent of as well, is a #12 seed Cincinnati gonna draw enough interest against Alabama to pack a stadium in Indianapolis or Los Angeles? Im sure Bearcat fans would show up in their best numbers but Bama fans will save for the 2nd round at least.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:00 PM, Unknøwn said:

I don't believe the SEC deserves 2 bigs.. They will get them as at large IMO regardless.  I hate the autobid idea.. Just take the 12 best teams, but include some actual computer data instead of people going in a room and voting on it ignoring actual information with the whole this team looks great with my eyes nonsense.. 

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

ACC commissioner says they will not support CFP expansion at this time. He said with the NCAA constitutional convention looming they need to worry about how the new NCAA will look. He basically said that with 4 years remaining in the current CFP agreement there's no need to do it right now. 

Basically the I won't get my way so I am taking my ball and heading home crap.  

• 1 month later...

Talks have officially died. The current format of 4 teams will remain unchanged until the current contract runs out in 2026.

Side note, the "alliance" has also basically collapsed. Big Ten said they've pretty much abandoned the scheduling talk and will remain at 9 conference games. No expanded playoffs and no alliance to defeat the SEC. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Talks have officially died. The current format of 4 teams will remain unchanged until the current contract runs out in 2026.

Side note, the "alliance" has also basically collapsed. Big Ten said they've pretty much abandoned the scheduling talk and will remain at 9 conference games. No expanded playoffs and no alliance to defeat the SEC. 

that was quick.. LOLOL i guess their hatred for the SEC wasn't strong enough to keep the together. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 7:00 PM, Unknøwn said:

Edited by ALERT