CFP panel recommends expanding to 12

In this format, the top four conference champions would get byes in the first round and the other eight teams would compete in first-round games on the campuses of the teams ranked Nos. 5-8. Those games would take place in the two weeks following conference championship weekend.

The quarterfinals would be played at bowl sites (games not specified), taking place on Jan. 1 (or Jan. 2 when New Year's Day falls on a Sunday) and an adjacent day. It has not yet been determined when semifinals and the national championship would be played, but the working group suggests the semifinals not be played as a doubleheader like presently constituted. 

NCAA meets next week to approve it

5 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Thats exactly what the ND AD referenced. He said i don't want to hear anyone ever complain about 1 less game again because they signed off on this format to limit themselves 

I've got no issues with them making it the past few years when they did honestly. They usually play predominantly P5 teams and if they go 12-0, sure why not. A lot of teams make it in at 12-1 so the extra game is kind of overrated. Even if they lost a conference championship, they'd be 12-1. I could be wrong, but I think the only 12-1 team that has ever missed it was 2018 Ohio State who lost by like a million to an average Purdue team. Give me ND over that all day.

Believe it or not, only 1 team has been ranked in the final CFP top 12 every year and that would be.... Ohio State.

Clemson and OU missed it in 2014
Alabama missed it in 2019

Interesting that only 1 team would have made it every year and it's not Alabama or Clemson who have won 5 of the 7 titles.

Another stat I think is cool is total title game appearances:

Alabama- 5 (3-2)
Clemson- 4 (2-2)
Ohio State- 2 (1-1)
LSU- 1 (1-0)
Georgia- 1 (0-1)
Oregon- 1 (0-1)

If you are looking at someone else to add their name to that list, check out Oklahoma this year. Think there is a good shot they make the title game with the top 3 all having new starters at QB. All 3 are mega talented, but only 1 has real game experiences and that would be DJ at Clemson. 

Here's what the 2020 playoffs would have looked like if this format was in place. 

#9 UGA vs #8 Cincy - Winner to Bama

#12 Coastal Carolina vs #5 ND - winner to Oklahoma

#11 Indiana vs #6 A&M - winner to Ohio State

#10 Iowa State vs #7 Florida - winner to Clemson

Bye Week: #1 Alabama, #2 Clemson, #3 Ohio State, #4 Oklahoma. 

On 6/11/2021 at 11:47 AM, Unknøwn said:

I feel its worth adding that Notre Dame is ineligible for a top 4 seed. Only conference champions can qualify for a bye and a 1-4 ranking. So ND can only be a #5, at best. Even if ND is 12-0 theyre the #5.

I've been very critical of Notre Dame over the years, but I must say. They held their own in the ACC in 2020.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:47 AM, Unknøwn said:

I feel its worth adding that Notre Dame is ineligible for a top 4 seed. Only conference champions can qualify for a bye and a 1-4 ranking. So ND can only be a #5, at best. Even if ND is 12-0 theyre the #5.

It's ironic that most of the seeding is based on rankings, which are basically opinions.