What we learned from third day of Falcons minicamp

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gage is a **** of a draft pick and find. 6th rounder. In year 3, as a slot receiver behind 2 solidified stud WRs and a 1st round talent tightend, he is putting up 72 catches, 786yds and 4 TDs. He is a

One thing I noticed the same with this minicamp...no Julio. Sorry....

I am really digging AS. No nonsense Xs and Os coach. Also shout out to Scott Bair who has done a real nice job as of late on these recaps. 

2 hours ago, EpicBird said:

Getting away from Koetter’s allergic to YAC, run to a spot, stop, catch ball, get drilled route trees will help Gage. He could be a real weapon in the right scheme. 

Gage was hung out to dry over the middle so many times. I can't believe he hasn't missed any significant playing time yet. He took some big hits, but he holds onto the ball.

I'm really hoping that Art can utilize his skills better.

3 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

So it’s good to see someone else besides MR answering stupid questions from the media with sort of mundane answers just for the sake of answering lol.  
Uh, hey Russell, we need to make this about Julio so what things did you learn from julio? lmao.  Gage is like Uh this & that, but kept reverting back to whatever AS wants him to learn.  The media is never your friend period.  Fk em & feed em fish heads.

Lol I know that line. Good one! I bet many here has never heard it. 

2 hours ago, Slumerican said:

I really liked the fact that Author said Ryan may think he's a smart as$ sometimes.. But he's here to be a coach and not a friend to Ryan.. I really like the fact Smith is keeping it all business and and trying to make friends with the players.. Imo, thatll go along way in the end

Matt is a professional he’s had a friendly relationship with every OC he’s ever had but he hasn’t tied himself to a coach the way the former #11 tied himself to DQ. AS is a professional as well I caught a few titan games and saw him laughing and joking with players on the sideline never seem to prevent him from doing his job unlike past falcon coaches

7 hours ago, ROMERO said:

Keeping the players accountable. No more clapping when you return to the sideline for giving up a TD.

Reminds me of how players who F’d up would take a diverted route to the bench in hopes the coach wouldn’t find him cause he didn’t want an a$$ chewing. There’s a video somewhere of Parcells slicing and dicing through players trying to get to a guy. Funny

4 hours ago, shockerfalcon said:

Matt is a professional he’s had a friendly relationship with every OC he’s ever had but he hasn’t tied himself to a coach the way the former #11 tied himself to DQ. AS is a professional as well I caught a few titan games and saw him laughing and joking with players on the sideline never seem to prevent him from doing his job unlike past falcon coaches

Matt likes being coached hard. He wants someone pushing him. Shanahan said that back when he was here and now AS says it too.  I think Matt likes this a lot better than DQs coddling style.

23 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Matt likes being coached hard. He wants someone pushing him. Shanahan said that back when he was here and now AS says it too.  I think Matt likes this a lot better than DQs coddling style.

You emulate what you see. Humans are simple creatures.  

12 hours ago, ROMERO said:

Keeping the players accountable. No more clapping when you return to the sideline for giving up a TD.

While This is true. But as a former player I can tell you sometimes you have to give a player reassurance because believe it or not some players are tougher on themselves than any coach. Like with Belichick he doesn’t chew out all his defensive players when they give up a TD 

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

While This is true. But as a former player I can tell you sometimes you have to give a player reassurance because believe it or not some players are tougher on themselves than any coach. Like with Belichick he doesn’t chew out all his defensive players when they give up a TD 

Ultimately, it's everyone accepting responsibility for their actions.  Coaches need to balance the Hickr'y Stick and the Sweet.

11 hours ago, EpicBird said:

Getting away from Koetter’s allergic to YAC, run to a spot, stop, catch ball, get drilled route trees will help Gage. He could be a real weapon in the right scheme. 

That was the most frustrating thing for me, the running to a spot (sometimes the same spot) then stopping even as Matt is in trouble trying to evade the pass rush,  the receivers are acting like “I’ve run my route, ain’t doing nothing else to try to get to an open spot”. For the good of the game, Dirk Koetter should never be allowed to coach ever again. 

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

I'm from North Texas and we did this from PeeWee leagues through high school.  I must have ran as everal marathons worth of laps.  Untold numbers of pushups in 100 degrees.  On game day, we were disciplined.  Losing was never an option.

The highschool I went to in GA was the same way...I was late for practice one day....coach told me to run 8 laps around the track....

If I couldn't do it....don't bother showing up on game day.....and I was the starting RB

Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

The highschool I went to in GA was the same way...I was late for practice one day....coach told me to run 8 laps around the track....

If I couldn't do it....don't bother showing up on game day.....and I was the starting RB

No favorites.  Coaches looked at us like we were a machine.  Add parts, remove parts.  No stars, no favorites, just whoever gets it done plays.  We were a small school, so many of our lineman played both ways.  I played TE/Tackle on offense then DT on defense.  All that running helped!  I tended to jump a half step too early.

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

No favorites.  Coaches looked at us like we were a machine.  Add parts, remove parts.  No stars, no favorites, just whoever gets it done plays.  We were a small school, so many of our lineman played both ways.  I played TE/Tackle on offense then DT on defense.  All that running helped!  I tended to jump a half step too early.

That's how you build not only a good program....but teaching boys to become men... nothing is given nothing is promised

I think a lot of coaches have lost that way of teaching...they let the talented ones get away with too much....and it shows when they become pros...