So, the three-game preseason schedule has been released. Falcons play home games against Tennesee and Cleveland and a road game against Miami. Makes me wonder if the second game is going to be treated like a dress rehearsal the way the third game used to be. I really would like to see what our starters look like against the Browns (which will be on national TV) but I seriously doubt we'll see our top personnel in that meaningless contest. Apologies if this has already been posted, y'all.

Week Date Game Time
PRE 1 08/13 vs Titans 7:00 PM EDT
PRE 2 08/21 @ Dolphins 7:00 PM EDT
PRE 3 08/29 vs Browns (NBC) 8:00 PM EDT

Based on the interviews with Coach Smith, I think all three pre-season games will be utilized to determine who can perform the best in which roles. 

Imagine that.  The Falcons will analyzed their players, put them in positions where they can succeed, and develop strategies and tactics to win games.  I can  dream.  Don't mess with my delusions. 

5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

So, the three-game preseason schedule has been released. Falcons play home games against Tennesee and Cleveland and a road game against Miami. Makes me wonder if the second game is going to be treated like a dress rehearsal the way the third game used to be. I really would like to see what our starters look like against the Browns (which will be on national TV) but I seriously doubt we'll see our top personnel in that meaningless contest. Apologies if this has already been posted, y'all.

Week Date Game Time

I think we will see our starters take a few snaps in all of preseason. Maybe two or three series. With a shorter preseason dont want to risk injuries. 

A series a game for the starters, maybe more in one of the games just to see if they can maintain something between series. Maybe none in the last game.

I think it - as it should be - will be about the backups and guys further down the roster.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

A series a game for the starters, maybe more in one of the games just to see if they can maintain something between series. Maybe none in the last game.

I think it - as it should be - will be about the backups and guys further down the roster.

That's concerning. Especially for the offensive and defensive lines. And even moreso because we're dealing with a new scheme everywhere. With no season-to-season continuity (and so many rookies) it's going to be hard to establish chemistry with minimal reps for the projected starters. 

Vs the Browns on NBC? I wonder what they'll talk about during the game?

Matt with 150 yards passing and a couple of TDs to Pitts and Ridley.

Collinsworth: "You really have to think about how the Falcons are going to get past the loss of Julio Jones."

Michaels: "Factor in that they were up 28-3."

Collinsworth: "Yeah you really need to wonder what they are doing out there."

12 minutes ago, BeenThere said:

So it's Julio vs the former OC from the Titans in preseason where Julio may or may not even play? 

I honestly wish they would just make the preseason games count or just start the season a little earlier. 

JMO.... 

They should make them part of the tie breaker formula. Doesn't have to be one of the first five or six factors but at least give them some weight.

16 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Collinsworth: "You really have to think about how the Falcons are going to get past the loss of Julio Jones."

Michaels: Well, it looks like Matt Ryan's done for the night after a couple of series. He finishes with 8 completions on 10 throws for 130 yards and a touchdown. You know, a lot of people were wanting the Falcons to take a quarterback in the draft.

Collinsworth: Yeah, while most think that Matt Ryan still has a couple of good years left they're going to be judged harshly if Justin Fields turns out to be an all-star.

(A.J. McCarron fires a 25 yard pass to a receiver to put the Falcons in field goal position)

Michaels: Young Justin Fields, who had an excellent night for the Bears last night. A lot of high hopes for that young man.

Collinsworth: Right, Al. The coaching staff has a lot of really good things to say about his willingness to listen and pick up on the game plan.

(McCarron scrambles on an RPO for 15 yards to the 18 yard line)

Micheals: Five quarterbacks selected in the first 15 picks. It'll be interesting to see how they compare to the immortal first round in 1983, when six quarterbacks were selected. Including a couple of hall of famers.

(McCarron fires a dart to Frank Darby, who makes a great catch on the sideline with two defenders covering him)

Collinsworth: That was a really good year for quarterbacks. Dan Marino and Jim Kelly are all-time generational talents. I wonder if any of this year's rookie QBs will reach that level of success?

Michaels: We'll talk more about them after this commercial break...

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

That's concerning. Especially for the offensive and defensive lines. And even moreso because we're dealing with a new scheme everywhere. With no season-to-season continuity (and so many rookies) it's going to be hard to establish chemistry with minimal reps for the projected starters. 

I don't think it's concerning at all. Those starters will be plugged into the new offense after training camp. They'll get enough reps to get the new system down before Preseason starts. They could also play into the first series of the 3rd quarter in a game. We've seen that in the past. I could also see the players that are battling for a starting position play longer too, like at LG, OC, WR2/3, CB2, Slot, DL, EDGE or wherever there's a position battle. 

And you're right, they may play a little longer because of the new system, but I don't think they'll need more than 2 series a game.

38 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I don't think it's concerning at all. Those starters will be plugged into the new offense after training camp. They'll get enough reps to get the new system down before Preseason starts. They could also play into the first series of the 3rd quarter in a game. We've seen that in the past. I could also see the players that are battling for a starting position play longer too, like at LG, OC, WR2/3, CB2, Slot, DL, EDGE or wherever there's a position battle. 

And you're right, they may play a little longer because of the new system, but I don't think they'll need more than 2 series a game.

I'm hoping you're right. Coaches are paid to figure things out and I'm sure L'il Arthur has a plan.

Fingers Crossed GIFs | Tenor

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

My god, I'm literally hearing him say that in my head.....

4 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Week Date Game Time

It was actually released the same time that the regular season schedule was released. But I was surprised that the Falcons are playing the Dolphins again since they play in the regular season this year. Add in that we're going to practice against them and that's a whole lot of Dolphins/Falcons cross over. Shouldn't be any surprises when they matchup in October. Was surprised they put the Falcons on a national TV game for preseason since they only got 1 prime time game this year during the regular season.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

Coach provided an answer at about the 6:00 mark of yesterday's presser.

17 hours ago, BeenThere said:

So it's Julio vs the former OC from the Titans in preseason where Julio may or may not even play? 

I honestly wish they would just make the preseason games count or just start the season a little earlier. 

JMO.... 

It's also the first one, so there will be  3 quarters of nothing but dead time. You might as well get yourself a working mute button now, because trust me, you'll need it. 😄

23 hours ago, Jesus said:

Add....

Collinsworth: As a former NFL receiver, I can tell you, they miss you when you leave.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:43 PM, NorthGaBoy said:

Based on the interviews with Coach Smith, I think all three pre-season games will be utilized to determine who can perform the best in which roles. 

Imagine that.  The Falcons will analyzed their players, put them in positions where they can succeed, and develop strategies and tactics to win games.  I can  dream.  Don't mess with my delusions. 

I was going to ask the question, which preseason game is now the game where the starters play 3 quarters? I think you answered it for me and praise Jesus that we are going to analyze players in preseason. Quinn had the absolute worst strategy regarding his play/players in preseason. 

On 6/10/2021 at 4:48 PM, Jesus said:

why did i read this and hear micheals and collinsworth talking lol 

On 6/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, JayOzOne said:

Week Date Game Time

That's a really good question about the 2nd game you bring up, hadn't thought about that.  I feel certain though that sll pre-season games will be handled better than they were under Quinn.