Do you think that it was Arthur Smith's and Terry Fontenont's plan all along to trade Julio?

I know that Julio Jones requested a trade back in March but looking back I would not be surprised if it was Terry Fontenont's and Arthur Smith's plan to trade Julio all along.

I remember at first Arthur Smith never even mentioned Julio Jones. He mentioned Matt Ryan, Chris Lindstrom, Koo and Calvin Ridley when discussing the roster.

Perhaps TF and AS looked at Julio as an expensive luxury and not a need on a team that had Calvin Ridley and could draft Kyle Pitts or Jamaar Chase at 4.

I would definitely feel a lot better if it was the front offices plan to trade Julio all along because that would mean we are probably more likely to be successful if it was the plan all along. Losing your best skilled player for a 2nd round pick would be awful unless it was the plan all along.

100%. I think the fact that they didn't even approach Grady about a restructure or adding years on to his deal proves that JJ was gone. We should have been able to see in advance that it was happening. They didn't have very many options, and when they chose to not contact Grady, it was a foregone conclusion that JJ was gone.

I think the success of any GM or HC has less to do with coming up with a master plan, and much more to do with their ability to quickly come up with contingency plans.

I doubt they both wanted to jettison Julio the moment they arrived, but I'd imagine that it was fairly obvious early on that he had no intention on staying with this team... so they set to work on a contingency plan, which so far looks pretty darn good.

As far as compensation, the Falcons had very little leverage due to the need to make cap space & other factors, and teams knew that. Additionally, for a great as Julio potentially still can be, there's no guarantee he will be since he's getting older & coming off an injury which cost him half of last season. That further diminished his value. Then there's the fact he flat out said he was out of here on live TV. That's one more notch against us having leverage in negotiation a trade.

So to be fair, the fact they got a 2nd, a 4th , and most importantly of all... they got a team to pick up the entire remainder of his contract... that is actually a huge success, not a disappointment.

With the cap situation, it seems one of the obvious options was to move Matt and/or Julio.  

One was content and one was not. 

One was reportedly missing from a lot of practices, one was not. 

Matt, age an obvious concern but in this system should be able to play for at least a couple years if needed, while building the rest of the team for our future QB. 

Julio, a 32 year old WR with a history of getting dinged up.

An offensive system that doesn't rely on WRs to the extent that many others do.

On top of all of this, while many of us are emotionally invested in this team and it's players (especially stars) the new regime only had to deal in facts without emotion.  This was a very logical outcome that seems to be what's best for both parties.

Considering Julio put in his trade request at the beginning of the off season is what was reported, and I'm not sure if that means as soon as our season ended or after the Super Bowl. Either way it would've been one of the first things TF and Smith became aware of, so I'm sure they were fine with trading him instead of possibly having a disgruntled player to start their first year off. 

4 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

100%. I think the fact that they didn't even approach Grady about a restructure or adding years on to his deal proves that JJ was gone. We should have been able to see in advance that it was happening. They didn't have very many options, and when they chose to not contact Grady, it was a foregone conclusion that JJ was gone.

Clearly.

TF probably knew before he took the job that Julio wanted out - or, at the very least - knew the issues surrounding him having hard feelings towards the Falcons.

like the fansided article says - the last thing a new regime wants is a star player and team leader in a lockerroom and unhappy.    You cannot change a culture w/ that kind of discord from your star player.

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

I think the success of any GM or HC has less to do with coming up with a master plan, and much more to do with their ability to quickly come up with contingency plans.

I doubt they both wanted to jettison Julio the moment they arrived, but I'd imagine that it was fairly obvious early on that he had no intention on staying with this team... so they set to work on a contingency plan, which so far looks pretty darn good.

As far as compensation, the Falcons had very little leverage due to the need to make cap space & other factors, and teams knew that. Additionally, for a great as Julio potentially still can be, there's no guarantee he will be since he's getting older & coming off an injury which cost him half of last season. That further diminished his value. Then there's the fact he flat out said he was out of here on live TV. That's one more notch against us having leverage in negotiation a trade.

So to be fair, the fact they got a 2nd, a 4th , and most importantly of all... they got a team to pick up the entire remainder of his contract... that is actually a huge success, not a disappointment.

Agree completely, they made lemonade out of the lemons.

1 minute ago, TheHeartless said:

Considering Julio put in his trade request at the beginning of the off season is what was reported, and I'm not sure if that means as soon as our season ended or after the Super Bowl. Either way it would've been one of the first things TF and Smith became aware of, so I'm sure they were fine with trading him instead of possibly having a disgruntled player to start their first year off. 

It was reported that Julio asked for a trade back in March.

10 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I do think they wanted to dump some salary... The faster that happens the faster you can truly build in your image

Clearly part of it.  Their hands were essentially tied behind their back.  They had finite avenues to enact their plans.  It helps when you have no ties to any of the current team.

If someone makes it clear they no longer want to be a part of any organization, sports or otherwise, here is what you do:

Step 1: Meet with the person and see if it makes sense to even attempt to resolve the issue or it it best to end the relationship. 

Step 2: if it makes sense to resolve it then try to do so. 

Step 3: if it cannot be resolved then make the separation immediately. 

If someone doesn’t want to be there then you shouldn’t want them there. 

46 minutes ago, ROMERO said:

Blank said it was up to the new regime on what they wanted to do with Julio and Ryan. Julio is no longer a Falcon. He asked for a trade and they did right by him by listening to offers. He got what he wanted. Lets move on. 

This. Even prior to not mentioning JJ often, it was made clear that the new FO had no restrictions on what they did with JJ and MR.

And then not even contacting Grady for a restructure or extension is another indicator that this was being looked at from the beginning.

It might not have been their intention to trade him immediately, but you have to figure the first players they spoke with upon arrival was JJ and MR to get an idea what their intentions and future goals were. Then they devised their plans based on that feedback.

They knew pretty quickly what that outcome and direction was going to be. Considering Julio doesn't play his best ball against NO (has only put up like 4 100-yard games against NO since 2015, and had other games with fumbles and one with as little as 1 reception and 16 yards vs NO), TF probably figured JJ wasn't worth the hype or the money. He was more expendable than MR and Grady.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

On 6/9/2021 at 2:53 AM, Faithful Falcon said:

I'm willing to bet if Arthur Smith would have been talking about how good it would have been to ha e Julio, this would have gotten thrown into the merged thread.

I was thinking if Julio hadn't have said on live TV that he wanted out, many Falcons fans would be absolutely furious with Terry Fontenont and Arthur Smith for letting Julio go like that. So in a way it's good Julio is taking the heat.

1 hour ago, kschreck said:

With the cap situation, it seems one of the obvious options was to move Matt and/or Julio.  

One was content and one was not. 

One was reportedly missing from a lot of practices, one was not. 

Matt, age an obvious concern but in this system should be able to play for at least a couple years if needed, while building the rest of the team for our future QB. 

Julio, a 32 year old WR with a history of getting dinged up.

An offensive system that doesn't rely on WRs to the extent that many others do.

On top of all of this, while many of us are emotionally invested in this team and it's players (especially stars) the new regime only had to deal in facts without emotion.  This was a very logical outcome that seems to be what's best for both parties.

I think Matt could go another 5 years. 4 at a high level.

1 hour ago, nomak said:

Not being a jerk, or meaning to be any way, but I'm glad its over and should had been done sooner. And then to read in a goodbye letter from Julio "ready to get to work" would had been nice to have heard that from Julio the past few years. 

Had to be done after June 1st for cap reasons

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

or, at the very least - knew the issues surrounding him having hard feelings towards the Falcons.

Outside of the merry go round of OC’s he & MR dealt with in their careers & the lack of significant wins, how is it that Julio could have “hard feelings”??

Lack of winning & changing OC’s would hardly justify feelings of animosity, resentment, bad blood or ill feelings.  This team treated him not just with respect, but even bent over backwards with leniency, tolerance & gentle handling.

We even took it to another level of pampering when we restructured his contract much to the detriment of our team’s bottom line. Two full years prior to it’s date of expiration I might add!  His demands were less than fair considering he & his agent negotiated & signed the existing contract at the time.

And yet his position developed not into one of appreciation but one of entitlement & bitterness??? I don’t get it. I don’t appreciate it either.  I love Julio Jones but began to observe in him less desirable traits in the latter quarter of his playing days. “Playing” days… hmmm, isn’t that another phrase that doesn’t line up in Julio’s column??

I believe our new regime couldn’t help but notice that the old regime enabled this attitude & that’s never a healthy, symbiotic relationship.  

Frankly it’s easy for me to see that the move was a no brainer for TF.  All things considered he did the smartest thing. Cut ties while you can get the most for JJ.  He measured the value of the player in terms of his productivity.  Arriving at the conclusion that his contract isn’t worth the distraction, the cap crunch, the coddling, or the injury difficulties. Kudos to TF for doing what’s best for our team.