12 personnel? What about 21 personnel?

Most of the credit in this article goes to Vrabel and GM Robinson, but smells like OC call to me based on the usage of 1% to 19% of fullback after signing this guy off of a practice squad. Both running and passing was BEST success rate in 21 set after. Specifically the 13.3 YPA in passing for 21 AND 12 personnel.  We about to run.. but nah here is a pass.

This move has Smith all over it. If they are not happy with Keith Smith(I like the guy) could see a move for FB. Ollison seems to be this guys same size BTW.

Expect to see lots of 21 sets as well with RB and FB with Ridley and Pitts out wide Hurst in line, with motion by Pitts inline to 12. 

Ryan was a **** magician with footwork and ball fakes in 2016, I'm thinking see the same in 2021.

While there is no doubt that trade for Ryan Tannehill was Tennessee Titans general manager Jon Robinson’s biggest and most important acquisition, there is one that is swept under the radar but needs to be brought to light. A seemingly innocuous mid-season signing of a running back off the Vikings practice squad, Khari Blasingame.

On the surface, it didn’t seem like much. The team cut Rod Smith and had only two backs on the roster, so they added Blasingame, an undrafted rookie out of Vanderbilt. But that’s when things start getting interesting.

The signing occurred during the Titans’ bye week. Both head coach Mike Vrabel and Robinson scouted Blasingame at Vanderbilt’s Pro Day and invited him to the Titans’ practice facility for a visit. Blasingame wasn’t just a running back, however, he also doubled as a fullback. The Titans’ prior fullback, David Fluellen, was placed on IR after playing in only two games much earlier in the season.

The Titans hadn’t used a fullback on the field in weeks but came out of the bye against the Jaguars and ran a whopping 17 plays with a fullback on the field.

All told, after going 0% two-back sets for weeks, a full third of the Titans’ plays against the Jaguars featured a fullback. Tennessee saw tremendous success in 21 personnel.

• Runs recorded 9.7 YPC, 83% success, and 0.32 EPA/att.
  • Passes recorded 14.5 YPA, 100% success, and 0.85 EPA/att.

Robinson, Vrabel, and offensive coordinator Arthur Smith had found something.

After using two-back sets on just 1% of plays the first 10 games of the season, the Titans closed the year using two-back sets on 19% of plays the rest of the season.

With the team thrashing four of their final six opponents to close the regular season, it’s more important to look at first half production in those games.

In the first half of games the rest of the season, the Titans’ most productive rushing grouping by far was 21 personnel (RB and FB on the field together):

21 personnel: 6.3 YPC, 68% success, 0.16 EPA/att
11 personnel: 5.4 YPC, 56% success, 0.04 EPA/att
12 personnel: 4.9 YPC, 49% success, 0.08 EPA/att

And if we look at the full games the rest of the season, the most productive passing grouping was likewise 21 personnel:

21 personnel: 13.3 YPA, 91% success, 0.51 EPA/att
12 personnel: 13.3 YPA, 62% success, 0.43 EPA/att
11 personnel: 7.8 YPA, 52% success, 0.07 EPA/att
13 personnel: 10.9 YPA, 50% success, -0.35 EPA/att

Credit is due here to the general manager and head coach for bringing in a capable fullback, but a significant amount of credit is also due to Smith for seamlessly incorporating him mid-season and doing so to the tune of the most efficient rushing and receiving production the team delivered the rest of the season.

While switching to Ryan Tannehill at QB was the catalyst for the Titans 2020 turnaround and playoff run, no one has discussed the mid-season acquisition of a FB off the Vikings practice squad and his less frequent buy highly valued impact, as the Titans won four of their final six games down the stretch to finish with nine wins on the season and make the playoffs.

Great read.  One thing that is a little skewed with this article, there was a very clear split with there 12 vs 21 personnel. 

Pass play success rate
12: 54%
21: 44%

Run play success rate
12: 52%
21: 62%

So they had more success in run game out of 21 but more in the pass game out of 12.

Not sure what the site is using as “success” as it seems very high vs normal success rate.  I’d be curious to see what that calculates.  Thanks for sharing.

I honestly forgot K Smith was still on the roster but would be hesitant to use Ollison as the FB. I think we'll need to rely on him more as a RB this year. I know he's big enough but can he even block? I'd feel more comfortable with Lee Smith filling in as the FB or starting out as a TE in the formation before motioning back to FB. Whoever it is, I hope they help set the tone for our new offense.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Snozberies17 said:

I'd feel more comfortable with Lee Smith filling in as the FB or starting out as a TE in the formation before motioning back to FB. Whoever it is, I hope they help set the tone for our new offense.

The signing of Smith was first move of free agency and thought was highly curious with his relative high price tag for amount of cap space the team had. Looking at how A Smith like to use his packages makes me wonder if this team may see several 30+ rushes per game throughout the season. If so would have to imagine Davis gets 250+ and Patterson 150+(Patterson thought blows my mind)

Edited by OrthoPTSD
context

I was hoping we'd go and find a legit FB but looks like another year of Kevin Smith. Him and Ortiz have been awful the last several years. That's another reason the run game has been crap. I got tired of counting how many times Smith would run one way when the guy that needed to be blocked was the other way. So annoying to see. Boy how I miss the days of Ovie Mughelli.

4 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I was hoping we'd go and find a legit FB but looks like another year of Kevin Smith. Him and Ortiz have been awful the last several years. That's another reason the run game has been crap. I got tired of counting how many times Smith would run one way when the guy that needed to be blocked was the other way. So annoying to see. Boy how I miss the days of Ovie Mughelli.

I thought Smith was going to be good

On 6/10/2021 at 8:37 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

On 6/10/2021 at 8:42 PM, RING OF HONOR said:

I thought Smith was going to be good

K Smith has value on special teams but still... we need a FB who can block, catch -and- run the ball some.  Mike Alstott was a devastating weapon for the Bucs.

If Ollison can block or we can find another FB in FA, seems to me Smith might be too expensive to keep.