6 minutes ago, kschreck said:

I'm not anti-Big 10 and I don't hate OSU but I think it's up to the QBs from OSU to prove that one of them can make it in the league.  It's reasonable to be skeptical.

I do agree with @Spts1 that from what I've seen so far, DJ looks like he could be a monster but that will also have to be proven on the field.  A lot of potential though.

We need to look for a QB at some point and that may be a good year to tank lol.

Don't think we will be bad enough though. I'll be interested to see how Bryce Young looks this year for Alabama. He was the number 1 overall recruit on the 247 composite rankings and he has unlimited potential. He's smaller, but dude has an arm. Could see him being there in the 10-15 range because he is a smaller guy 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So let me get this straight...We should have passed on the best player in the draft to draft the 4th best Quarterback who went 11th??

Im gonna miss everybody.     

I've been a Falcon fan over half a century now. I've seen it all. I think I'll give Terry and Arthur a fair chance before I prepare for impending doom because we traded a 32 year old WR.

21 minutes ago, kschreck said:

I don't know what that has to do with anything. I can't really say what kind of value they could have gotten as that would be total speculation unless someone with inside knowledge has specifically shared what offers were made to them and I missed it.  Obviously they felt that taking Pitts was the best move they could make at the time and I'd think the Julio situation played some part in that. 

Either way, that doesn't really change the idea that some would rather get the QB first and some would rather build around the QB first.  There's more than one way to do a lot of things.  They decided they wanted a potential stud TE.  Maybe that's so two years from now a rookie QB has a developed TE to throw to.  Maybe they felt that was the best pick for the short and long term, usually a TE takes a little time to emerge.  

Take quarterback out of the equation.  I said back in 2020 that the Falcons were gonna status quo and ride Ryan out till he can't play anymore and thats the situation.  People keep going for low hanging fruit and trying to attack me by saying that I wanted the Falcons to draft Justin Fields.  I said that neither Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence OR Trey Lance was in play for them back in October 2020. Search this thread and you will see my quote. 

The suspense of the draft WASN'T whether the Falcons were gonna draft a quarterback.  The suspense was whether they would be ignorant enough to draft a tight end when they got holes everywhere and no depth on that roster.  The Dolphins were rolling in first round picks.  You can't tell me that the Falcons couldn't have found a taker for the 4th pick and moved down and picked up a additional first round pick or AT WORST additional PICKS in the second round THIS season.  That could have been in ADDITION to the picks they got with the Julio trade.  Its about building assets, and using those assets to either build or get better assets...

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Sorry guys, I've kind of let my anti-Big 10/Ohio State bias de-rail the thread a bit...

You got me going and of course,  the "SPTS1 wanted the Falcons to draft Justin Fields" crew comes out in full force because I defended the Big 10 and Justin Fields...:lol:

6 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

We need to look for a QB at some point and that may be a good year to tank lol.

Don't think we will be bad enough though. I'll be interested to see how Bryce Young looks this year for Alabama. He was the number 1 overall recruit on the 247 composite rankings and he has unlimited potential. He's smaller, but dude has an arm. Could see him being there in the 10-15 range because he is a smaller guy 

You skipped my response to your post about D.J. at Clemson.  He will not be available until 2023 draft.  He is the only quarterback I see thus far in that draft thats worth drafting.  I'm not sold on either C.J. Stroud OR Bryce Young yet...

14 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Take quarterback out of the equation.  I said back in 2020 that the Falcons were gonna status quo and ride Ryan out till he can't play anymore and thats the situation.  People keep going for low hanging fruit and trying to attack me by saying that I wanted the Falcons to draft Justin Fields.  I said that neither Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence OR Trey Lance was in play for them back in October 2020. Search this thread and you will see my quote. 

The suspense of the draft WASN'T whether the Falcons were gonna draft a quarterback.  The suspense was whether they would be ignorant enough to draft a tight end when they got holes everywhere and no depth on that roster.  The Dolphins were rolling in first round picks.  You can't tell me that the Falcons couldn't have found a taker for the 4th pick and moved down and picked up a additional first round pick or AT WORST additional PICKS in the second round THIS season.  That could have been in ADDITION to the picks they got with the Julio trade.  Its about building assets, and using those assets to either build or get better assets...

I'm not attacking you, I do disagree with you on some things.

You were correct in saying they would keep MR this season, but realistically his contract made that the most likely outcome.

I don't agree with the negative reasoning you apply to the decision, stating they don't want to win a championship.  I think that's what AB wants more than anything.  Doesn't mean I agree with everything he's done to get there but I think there's enough info out there to indicate he truly cares about bringing a Lombardi to the A.  Just because he takes an approach that I don't agree with doesn't mean he isn't trying.  Keeping DQ last year being a perfect example.  I had 0 expectations for 2020 once DQ was retained.  We already knew he couldn't get it done but I feel one of the things that holds the Falcons back is ABs loyalty. It's an admirable trait but realistically you can't make emotional decisions with players/coaches.

And as far as the 1st round pick, I will stick with the facts that I have no idea what kind of offers they received.  Is it possible someone offered them two firsts? Sure it's possible, I just don't know who felt they needed to get up there for a given player.  

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Read the entire thing lol. The Big 10 makes guys look better than they are. Against the 3 best teams he played (19 and 20 Clemson and 20 Alabama) he went 1-2 and struggled. He better look good against those slow Big 10 defenses. He was definitely inconsistent against teams that could match Ohio State in terms of athleticism. No one else in the Big 10 is really that close to them. Ohio State is in a class with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Oklahoma. 

you don't want facts - got it

6 minutes ago, kschreck said:

I'm not attacking you, I do disagree with you on some things.

You were correct in saying they would keep MR this season, but realistically his contract made that the most likely outcome.

I don't agree with the negative reasoning you apply to the decision, stating they don't want to win a championship.  I think that's what AB wants more than anything.  Doesn't mean I agree with everything he's done to get there but I think there's enough info out there to indicate he truly cares about bringing a Lombardi to the A.  Just because he takes an approach that I don't agree with doesn't mean he isn't trying.  Keeping DQ last year being a perfect example.  I had 0 expectations for 2020 once DQ was retained.  We already knew he couldn't get it done but I feel one of the things that holds the Falcons back is ABs loyalty. It's an admirable trait but realistically you can't make emotional decisions with players/coaches.

And as far as the 1st round pick, I will stick with the facts that I have no idea what kind of offers they received.  Is it possible someone offered them two firsts? Sure it's possible, I just don't know who felt they needed to get up there for a given player.  

As far as moving or not moving Ryan because of his contract, they would've stayed the course with him regardless.  Again, proof is they added a wide receiver under the guise of a tight end, with holes and depth problems throughout that roster.  They could've kept Dimitroff and Quinn and done that, which leads me to who I say is REALLY running the Falcons,  Rich McKay.

The big disagreement with me and folks who are looking at this objectively is, do the Falcons have a championship caliber team before or after this draft?   On paper, they do not.  Blank wins regardless.  I say the Falcons are about status quo and there is ZERO they have done to convince me otherwise...

38 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

You skipped my response to your post about D.J. at Clemson.  He will not be available until 2023 draft.  He is the only quarterback I see thus far in that draft thats worth drafting.  I'm not sold on either C.J. Stroud OR Bryce Young yet...

I agreed with you on DJ I thought. Think he's got the highest upside of anyone in the coming years. Heard good things about the Ewers kid committed to Ohio State too, but I have the same concerns about him playing in a very weak conference with poor athletes. Kind of hope he goes to Texas and plays with Sark. 

Then of course there is the Arch Manning hype. The expectations are going to be unreal on that poor kid 

1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

I agreed with you on DJ I thought. Think he's got the highest upside of anyone in the coming years. Heard good things about the Ewers kid committed to Ohio State too, but I have the same concerns about him playing in a very weak conference with poor athletes. Kind of hope he goes to Texas and plays with Sark. 

Then of course there is the Arch Manning hype. The expectations are going to be unreal on that poor kid 

We agree on D.J.  Ewers bounced away from Texas to sign with Ryan Day. He has  potential. The question there is whether Ryan Day will stay at Ohio State to coach him. The NFL has been looking at him...

Just now, Spts1 said:

We agree on D.J.  Ewers bounced away from Texas to sign with Ryan Day. He has  potential. The question there is whether Ryan Day will stay at Ohio State to coach him. The NFL has been looking at him...

Ohio State will be fine either way. Alabama, OU, and them are the three best programs in football historically. They'll get someone in who will get him coached up

36 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Why so aggressive lol

It's just football. It's nothing personal at all

you want to tell us how you feeeeeeeeeeel.     "I feel like Justin Fields isn't a good quarterback".

you don't want facts.   not aggressive - just wanting to deal in fact and not feelings and emotion. 😉

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Wow….that’s crazy. OMG Booker was so bad. 

because of his pedigree at Denver and the one magical season and SuperBowl in Atlanta - people forget how horrid Dan Reeves was running the franchise w/ personnel control - his drafts were horrid.   Also, Dan was part of the history of Falcons never having back-to-back winning seasons.