Falcons At Crossroads

18 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Learn what exactly? Are you implying that Ryan was a bust of a pick 13 years ago because he isn't "physically gifted?"

What's your boy Watson done that Ryan hasn't? Well, besides messing around with massage therapists...

I'll wait...

Im starting to think him hating on Ryan has nothing to do with his football skills. Falcons were not going to draft him. Let it go or go be a Bears fan already. 

Edited by ROMERO

13 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I’m not sure what you saw last year that makes you think Fields is some generational type talent. You wanna see generational type talent, go look at that other Clemson kid that’s gonna start this year. That kid is gonna be an absolute stud, better than Lawrence or Watson.

Ryan Day SAID Justin Fields is a generational quarterback to Nagy.  You misspoke for me, wrong.  But, I just happen to agree with Day.  As far as D.J. at Clemson, I BEEN said he is better than Lawrence and got clowned on this board for saying it. Started a WHOLE thread about it back in 2020.  I even PREDICTED the Falcons would ride this Matt Ryan thing out BACK IN OCTOBER 2020.  The Falcons are about status quo, not winning championships. I bet they don't clown YOU for saying D.J. is a stud...

1 hour ago, Draftnut57 said:

Ah.... The biggest gamble we could have made was to draft a Rook QB ,, and no telling how long it would be before he'd be ready to take over anyway.... Plus a Rookie QB has a higher Bust risk than any other players. To me that's a 10 to 1 odds of a chance to make a playoff birth will Ryan  this season..  Now,, All that matter is this season NOW! Next year will take care of itself.  WE don't want a Supper bowl in the sweet bye and bye.. WE want to go to the Super bowl in the Sweet Now and Now !!  Come on Man !!!  Think !

Agreed on all fronts.

7 hours ago, JDaveG said:

We took Matthews at 6 overall and Vic at 8 overall. It wasn’t just the last 3 years. It’s the last 3 years of every regime of the Dimitroff era. 

Which is to say, it’s a pattern. 

You are right ...I missed those guys... seems like a life time ago.

The last 3 TD drafts have actually been very productive.

We have right now at a minimum 5 starters from 18,19, and 20. ( Ridley, Foye, Lindstrom, McGary, Terrell)

And it could be upwards of 10 depending on what the new regime does with Gage, Oliver, Davidson, Hennessy & Walker. 

And that is not even counting guys who may get meaningful  snaps like Cominsky, Ollison, & Hawkins.

11 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I was in a store today and there was a copy of USA Today Sports there with Matt Ryan on the front page and it said “can Matt Ryan recover from losing Julio Jones?” Like really? WTH?

Good god. 

Can Julio Jones recover? Boy the world hates Matt and all he does is step up.

20 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Physically gifted QB that stunk against the only good Big 10 teams he played this past year and was trash against Alabama. Dude was missing wide open guys. Sure he did well against Clemson, but that’s 1 out of 4 games where he wasn’t a liability for his team.

He was better his sophomore year, grant it once he had to play outside of that trash conference he was exposed.

Sure he was “hurt” in the 19 Clemson and 20 Alabama games, but if he gets hurt against the two most physical teams he plays, that’s not good news in the pros where teams are much more physical. 

Just watching film from this past year of the top guys (not gonna count Lance because he only played 1 game) and it was pretty clear Fields was the 4th best guy of the 4. He also played with the most talent (he’s got 2 guys that will go in the first round at WR and then some, plus he didn’t lose his 2nd guy halfway through the year) and he also played bad competition (second only to Wilson, but Wilson also didn’t play with that much talent). 

Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I’m not sure what you saw last year that makes you think Fields is some generational type talent. You wanna see generational type talent, go look at that other Clemson kid that’s gonna start this year. That kid is gonna be an absolute stud, better than Lawrence or Watson.

bookmarked.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

bookmarked.

Please do. He could be good. But from watching him play? I didn't see anything that made me say this guy is going to be some generational type talent. He was missing open guys against Alabama. I see someone who is extremely inconsistent. A typical Big 10 QB as of late that dominates against the slow Big 10 defenses, but struggles in other games. It's not about the Ohio State factor, it's the Big 10 factor. Who was the last Big 10 QB to come in and do well in the NFL? Kirk Cousins? He's had a good career, but he's average in the league. Russell Wilson? The guy who played at NC State before playing a year at a Big 10 school? That doesn't count lol. Has it really been since Brady and Brees

Big 10 defenses make elite athletes (which make no mistake, Fields is) look like elite QBs, but when they are among other elite athletes, what happens? Look at the NFL. It's not an Ohio State thing, it's a Big 10 thing. If Fields had stayed at UGA (which I don't care one way or the other) he would have faced elite competition both in practice (which he got at Ohio State) and in games. It would have helped him in the long run. 

Until the Big 10 evolves from an archaic brand of football to the modern era, I personally think they'll continue to have the same issues 

19 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Ryan Day SAID Justin Fields is a generational quarterback to Nagy.  You misspoke for me, wrong.  But, I just happen to agree with Day.  As far as D.J. at Clemson, I BEEN said he is better than Lawrence and got clowned on this board for saying it. Started a WHOLE thread about it back in 2020.  I even PREDICTED the Falcons would ride this Matt Ryan thing out BACK IN OCTOBER 2020.  The Falcons are about status quo, not winning championships. I bet they don't clown YOU for saying D.J. is a stud...

I expected a Bears/Ohio State fan like yourself would be on the Fields is a generational type talent train. It's pretty clear you love the guy lol. It's not just one post either, it's multiple posts. But the film shows something different. It shows a guy that is extremely inconsistent. In the 3 most physical games he played (2 vs Clemson and 1 vs Alabama) he went 1-2 and looked meh in 2 and superb in 3. That's the kind of inconsistency that worries me and I'm sure worries other teams. 

Lawrence is a tad overrated too IMO, but has the physical traits. DJ played better against Notre Dame than he did and that was on the road. I really think if the Falcons want a winner, they should go after a guy that I think is going to prove something. Not a guy with consistency issues like Fields or a guy who played 1 season of FCS ball in Lance. Can't fault them for sticking with a former MVP instead of that. Not worth the risk. 

6 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I expected a Bears/Ohio State fan like yourself would be on the Fields is a generational type talent train. It's pretty clear you love the guy lol. It's not just one post either, it's multiple posts. But the film shows something different. It shows a guy that is extremely inconsistent. In the 3 most physical games he played (2 vs Clemson and 1 vs Alabama) he went 1-2 and looked meh in 2 and superb in 3. That's the kind of inconsistency that worries me and I'm sure worries other teams. 

Lawrence is a tad overrated too IMO, but has the physical traits. DJ played better against Notre Dame than he did and that was on the road. I really think if the Falcons want a winner, they should go after a guy that I think is going to prove something. Not a guy with consistency issues like Fields or a guy who played 1 season of FCS ball in Lance. Can't fault them for sticking with a former MVP instead of that. Not worth the risk. 

your research is extremely poor if you believe Fields has consistency issues.   He has completed passes in college at a phenomenally high rate.

Passing
SEASON TEAM
UGAUGA
OSUOSU
OSUOSU
Career  

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG SACK RTG
27 39 69.2 328 8.4 4 0 57 4 173.7
238 354 67.2 3,273 9.2 41 3 60 31 181.4
158 225 70.2 2,100 9.3 22 6 65 21 175.6
- - - - - - - - - -

16 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

The numbers ( Ryan fans spout them every chance they get) say that Justin Fields was more consistent than ANY other division 1 quarterback last season.  Then you spout this stuff about the Big 10.  Northwestern and Indiana had top defenses in the country last season.   They slowed Justin Fields down but didn't stop him because the last time I checked, he beat both of them teams, meanwhile, the guy who REALLY didn't play anybody AND LOST to Coastal Carolina, is above dissection like Justin Fields.   And Trevor Lawrence had to read only ONE SIDE OF THE FIELD because he can't read defenses and NOBODY talks about it...

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/trevor-lawrence-isnt-held-to-the-same-standard-as-justin-fields/

And if you want to dive in a little deeper on those numbers, 4 of the 6 defenses that Fields has faced this season are in the top 31 nationally in terms of yards per pass attempt, while Lawrence has faced just 1 in his 9 games (Miami). In 2019, Fields faced 7 top-30 defenses, while Lawrence faced 3 (Texas A&M, Ohio State and LSU), none of which were even from his own conference. Not surprisingly, Fields also has had a better overall grade from Pro Football Focus in each of the last 2 seasons: 92.4-92.0 this season and 91.5-91.1 last season. Considering that Lawrence rarely plays in bad weather while playing in substandard passing conditions is a way of life in the Big Ten, Fields has quite the resume.

Dilfer went on to describe Lawrence’s long delivery, how Clemson’s offense cuts the field in half and limits Lawrence’s reads and how he can be overconfident with his arm.

Just now, g-dawg said:

your research is extremely poor if you believe Fields has consistency issues.   He has completed passes in college at a phenomenally high rate.

Passing
SEASON TEAM
UGAUGA
OSUOSU
OSUOSU
Career  

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG SACK RTG
27 39 69.2 328 8.4 4 0 57 4 173.7
238 354 67.2 3,273 9.2 41 3 60 31 181.4
158 225 70.2 2,100 9.3 22 6 65 21 175.6
- - - - - - - - - -

Read the entire thing lol. The Big 10 makes guys look better than they are. Against the 3 best teams he played (19 and 20 Clemson and 20 Alabama) he went 1-2 and struggled. He better look good against those slow Big 10 defenses. He was definitely inconsistent against teams that could match Ohio State in terms of athleticism. No one else in the Big 10 is really that close to them. Ohio State is in a class with Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, and Oklahoma. 

1 minute ago, Spts1 said:

The numbers ( Ryan fans spout them every chance they get) say that Justin Fields was more consistent than ANY other division 1 quarterback last season.  Then you spout this stuff about the Big 10.  Northwestern and Indiana had top defenses in the country last season.   They slowed Justin Fields down but didn't stop him because the last time I checked, he beat both of them teams, meanwhile, the guy who REALLY didn't play anybody AND LOST to Coastal Carolina, is above is dissected like Justin Fields.   And Trevor Lawrence had to read only ONE SIDE OF THE FIELD because he can't read defenses and NOBODY talks about it...

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/trevor-lawrence-isnt-held-to-the-same-standard-as-justin-fields/

And if you want to dive in a little deeper on those numbers, 4 of the 6 defenses that Fields has faced this season are in the top 31 nationally in terms of yards per pass attempt, while Lawrence has faced just 1 in his 9 games (Miami). In 2019, Fields faced 7 top-30 defenses, while Lawrence faced 3 (Texas A&M, Ohio State and LSU), none of which were even from his own conference. Not surprisingly, Fields also has had a better overall grade from Pro Football Focus in each of the last 2 seasons: 92.4-92.0 this season and 91.5-91.1 last season. Considering that Lawrence rarely plays in bad weather while playing in substandard passing conditions is a way of life in the Big Ten, Fields has quite the resume.

Northwestern and Indiana also benefited by playing in the crappy Big 10. Of course they are going to look better lol. Northwestern would have been lit up in the SEC or Big 12. Possibly the ACC as well. And Indiana? They lost to a middle of the road SEC team in Ole Miss. Their defense looked good because of the crappy conference they played in. Northwestern beat Auburn, a mighty SEC team (lol I can't even say that with a straight face). 

Big 10 teams look good statistically because they beat up on teams with no athletes. They play an archaic brand of football. So yeah, it's going to look like Fields played these top defenses. 

But hold on. I don't really care about Fields. He's on the Bears. I really just can't stand Ohio State and the Big 10 which I've said before. My biggest issue with Fields is that he played in the Slow 10. If he played for say, FSU, I honestly wouldn't have near this much to say. I just really can't stand the media hype the Big 10 gets EVERY year in football (and basketball) only to consistently come up short when it matters most. Most overrated conference in sports. 

I wish Fields had stayed at UGA. He would have likely been picked higher because he would have been able to put up stats against teams that weren't trash. 

23 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

I don't think that's it at all.  If I were coming in from the outside I would have kept Ryan also.  In this era of football I am a firm believer in building the oline and defense before getting the QB.  Maybe not every piece but at least getting a good start in the right direction.  To me, a franchise QBs rookie contract is a potential gold mine for the team.  If I were building a team, and I felt it was going to take a couple of years to get the roster and cap straightened out, I wouldn't want to draft my next QB.  

While I understand that for many it was hard to watch our team use a top 5 pick on a position other than a QB, when I look at the QBs for playoffs teams over the last few years, I feel even more confident that a team does not need to have a top 5 pick to get their franchise QB.  I put this together a couple of weeks ago and the number of playoff QBs that either weren't drafted top 5 or aren't even playing for the team that drafted them surprised me.  

I get that it's risky to build a team and then go look for the QB.  This is much easier for me to say not being responsible for making the decision.  Colts have been a very good team the last two years and have suffered from not having that guy.  That said, teams like Seattle, KC, Baltimore, Dallas, etc have shown us that you can get your guy without such a pick, 3 of these being playoff caliber teams when these guys were drafted and the fourth were in the process of building an elite defense.  Teams like NO, TB, TEN, and the 49ers have shown us you don't even necessarily need to draft your guy.  (though that's my preference)

The format didn't quite translate but I think it is still readable.

Playoffs - 2018-2020 Seasons   Appearances Went with original team? Still with original team?  
Player Team Draft piece of poop Playoffs CCG SB  
Goff Rams 1st - 1 2 1 1 Y N Top 5
Mayfield Browns 1st - 1 1 0 0 Y Y
Luck Colts 1st - 1 1 0 0 Y N
Trubisky Bears 1st - 2 2 0 0 Y Y
Wentz Eagles 1st - 2 1 0 0 Y N
Rivers Chargers/Colts 1st - 4 2 0 0 Y/N N
Allen Bills 1st - 7 2 1 0 Y Y Top 10
Tannehill Titans 1st - 8 2 1 0 N N
Mahomes Chiefs 1st - 10 3 3 2 Y Y
Big Ben Steelers 1st - 11 1 0 0 Y Y 1st
Watson Texans 1st - 12 2 0 0 Y Y
Rodgers Packers 1st - 24 2 2 0 Y ?
Lamar Ravens 1st - 32 3 0 0 Y Y
Brees Saints 2nd 3 1 0 N N 2nd or 3rd
Jimmy G 49ers 2nd 1 1 1 N  N
Wilson Seahawks 3rd 3 0 0 Y Y
Dak Cowboys 4th 1 0 0 Y Y 4th or lower
Cousins Vikings 4th 2 0 0 N N
Brady Pats/Bucs 6th 3 2 2 Y/N N
Heinicke* Washington UFA 1 0 0    

* - played due to injury

5 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Northwestern and Indiana also benefited by playing in the crappy Big 10. Of course they are going to look better lol. Northwestern would have been lit up in the SEC or Big 12. Possibly the ACC as well. And Indiana? They lost to a middle of the road SEC team in Ole Miss. Their defense looked good because of the crappy conference they played in. Northwestern beat Auburn, a mighty SEC team (lol I can't even say that with a straight face). 

Big 10 teams look good statistically because they beat up on teams with no athletes. They play an archaic brand of football. So yeah, it's going to look like Fields played these top defenses. 

But hold on. I don't really care about Fields. He's on the Bears. I really just can't stand Ohio State and the Big 10 which I've said before. My biggest issue with Fields is that he played in the Slow 10. If he played for say, FSU, I honestly wouldn't have near this much to say. I just really can't stand the media hype the Big 10 gets EVERY year in football (and basketball) only to consistently come up short when it matters most. Most overrated conference in sports. 

I wish Fields had stayed at UGA. He would have likely been picked higher because he would have been able to put up stats against teams that weren't trash. 

Ohio State beat Clemson...

1 minute ago, Spts1 said:

Ohio State beat Clemson...

I referenced that in the post above: 

28 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

5 minutes ago, kschreck said:

I don't think that's it at all.  If I were coming in from the outside I would have kept Ryan also.  In this era of football I am a firm believer in building the oline and defense before getting the QB.  Maybe not every piece but at least getting a good start in the right direction.  To me, a franchise QBs rookie contract is a potential gold mine for the team.  If I were building a team, and I felt it was going to take a couple of years to get the roster and cap straightened out, I wouldn't want to draft my next QB.  

While I understand that for many it was hard to watch our team use a top 5 pick on a position other than a QB, when I look at the QBs for playoffs teams over the last few years, I feel even more confident that a team does not need to have a top 5 pick to get their franchise QB.  I put this together a couple of weeks ago and the number of playoff QBs that either weren't drafted top 5 or aren't even playing for the team that drafted them surprised me.  

I get that it's risky to build a team and then go look for the QB.  This is much easier for me to say not being responsible for making the decision.  Colts have been a very good team the last two years and have suffered from not having that guy.  That said, teams like Seattle, KC, Baltimore, Dallas, etc have shown us that you can get your guy without such a pick, 3 of these being playoff caliber teams when these guys were drafted and the fourth were in the process of building an elite defense.  Teams like NO, TB, TEN, and the 49ers have shown us you don't even necessarily need to draft your guy.  (though that's my preference)

The format didn't quite translate but I think it is still readable.

Playoffs - 2018-2020 Seasons   Appearances Went with original team? Still with original team?  
Player Team Draft piece of poop Playoffs CCG SB  
Goff Rams 1st - 1 2 1 1 Y N Top 5
Mayfield Browns 1st - 1 1 0 0 Y Y
Luck Colts 1st - 1 1 0 0 Y N
Trubisky Bears 1st - 2 2 0 0 Y Y
Wentz Eagles 1st - 2 1 0 0 Y N
Rivers Chargers/Colts 1st - 4 2 0 0 Y/N N
Allen Bills 1st - 7 2 1 0 Y Y Top 10
Tannehill Titans 1st - 8 2 1 0 N N
Mahomes Chiefs 1st - 10 3 3 2 Y Y
Big Ben Steelers 1st - 11 1 0 0 Y Y 1st
Watson Texans 1st - 12 2 0 0 Y Y
Rodgers Packers 1st - 24 2 2 0 Y ?
Lamar Ravens 1st - 32 3 0 0 Y Y
Brees Saints 2nd 3 1 0 N N 2nd or 3rd
Jimmy G 49ers 2nd 1 1 1 N  N
Wilson Seahawks 3rd 3 0 0 Y Y
Dak Cowboys 4th 1 0 0 Y Y 4th or lower
Cousins Vikings 4th 2 0 0 N N
Brady Pats/Bucs 6th 3 2 2 Y/N N
Heinicke* Washington UFA 1 0 0    

* - played due to injury

You didn't read my post where I said the. Falcons could've traded back and got a additional first round pick...

College football - you play maybe the best player in the state and a bunch of guys who are good enough to play in college.

NFL - you play the best football players in the world.

Give the kid a couple of years in the NFL before crowning him.

7 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

You didn't read my post where I said the. Falcons could've traded back and got a additional first round pick...

I don't know what that has to do with anything. I can't really say what kind of value they could have gotten as that would be total speculation unless someone with inside knowledge has specifically shared what offers were made to them and I missed it.  Obviously they felt that taking Pitts was the best move they could make at the time and I'd think the Julio situation played some part in that. 

Either way, that doesn't really change the idea that some would rather get the QB first and some would rather build around the QB first.  There's more than one way to do a lot of things.  They decided they wanted a potential stud TE.  Maybe that's so two years from now a rookie QB has a developed TE to throw to.  Maybe they felt that was the best pick for the short and long term, usually a TE takes a little time to emerge.  

3 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

I don't agree 100%.  But anyone is entitled to their opinion.  

I do not hate the Titans, in fact, I am married to a ravenous Titans fan and (True Story) when my first child was born the nurse brought her into the recovery room and my wife was watching Steve "Air" McNair clean house.  The first words my kid heard from mom on earth were "Go Titans! Touchdown!"  and I have that on film (because you never let someone forget the first words they say to their baby are about football).

Anyway, Tennessee has a shot at being legit this year, deep run or maybe conference finals.  I would not be surprised to see Julio do pretty well there especially with guys like Henry taking up some slack.  We'll see.  

I think ATL will be good this year but great by 2022.  That's OK with me because of all the changes.  If I'm wrong and we win a ship that's awesome.  But I think we have a lot of work to get there.  There are wins on the horizon for sure.  

This is what I don't understand, if the roles were reversed and the Falcons were the Titans and the Titans were the Falcons no one would be putting the Falcons in the SB because they'd be dogging them because of how bad the defense is but since it's the Titans everyone has just conveniently forgot about that side of the ball, despite the fact that the Titans defense was worse than the Falcons last year.

16 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Sorry guys, I've kind of let my anti-Big 10/Ohio State bias de-rail the thread a bit...

I'm not anti-Big 10 and I don't hate OSU but I think it's up to the QBs from OSU to prove that one of them can make it in the league.  It's reasonable to be skeptical.

I do agree with @Spts1 that from what I've seen so far, DJ looks like he could be a monster but that will also have to be proven on the field.  A lot of potential though.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

What made that even worse was we traded a future 1st to draft TE Kelly. 

Dan was an Excellent HC, but sucked royally as a GM.

A pick that ended up being the 5th overall pick and the Ravens picked Jamal Lewis and rode him all the way to a SB win. Reeves the GM was horrendous. You can tell the TD haters weren't here for the Reeves years.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

What made that even worse was we traded a future 1st to draft TE Kelly. 

Dan was an Excellent HC, but sucked royally as a GM.

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

You are correct sir and I said that in my post as well.  It was a horrible move by Reeves considering we had drafted TE OJ Santiago the year before.  

Oh, and don't forget 1997 when he drafted Michael Booker with a guy named Tony Gonzalez still on the board.

4 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

This is what I don't understand, if the roles were reversed and the Falcons were the Titans and the Titans were the Falcons no one would be putting the Falcons in the SB because they'd be dogging them because of how bad the defense is but since it's the Titans everyone has just conveniently forgot about that side of the ball, despite the fact that the Titans defense was worse than the Falcons last year.

Signing a 32 year old WR doesn't come anywhere close to solving their biggest issue and doesn't make them more likely to be SB contenders.  Any team that's bottom 4 in defensive passing yards and TDs allowed, in this day and age, has a lot of work to do to truly contend.