Falcons At Crossroads

10 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

True lol

Jerry still be trying to flex til this day about being the best WR ever along with rings. Crazy to think that he's almost 60 now.

Time does surely fly.

Every season that he used stick um doesn't count. Weird people love yo put an asterisk by every other team or individual accomplishment but he gets a free pass. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So let me get this straight...We should have passed on the best player in the draft to draft the 4th best Quarterback who went 11th??

Im gonna miss everybody.     

I've been a Falcon fan over half a century now. I've seen it all. I think I'll give Terry and Arthur a fair chance before I prepare for impending doom because we traded a 32 year old WR.

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Every season that he used stick um doesn't count. Weird people love yo put an asterisk by every other team or individual accomplishment but he gets a free pass. 

Exactly, Rice is one of the ultimate examples of how to get away with cheating.

He even admitted and came out that he used Stickum and still no one questions him.

Stickum was outlawed before Rice even hit the league, so he can't even say that he didn't know it was illegal.

1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Exactly, Rice is one of the ultimate examples of how to get away with cheating.

He even admitted and came out that he used Stickum and still no one questions him.

Stickum was outlawed before Rice even hit the league, so he can't even say that he didn't know it was illegal.

Bingo. For me, if everyone else gets negative energy for finding other ways to succeed, I gotta give that same energy to Jerry. It is what it is. 

13 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Well all pro's come in all rounds.

But yeah.....this was the first that that we picked in the top 5 since 2008.

Previously I think the highest that we had picked under TD was 15th.

Obviously the last 3 years have not ended as well as we wanted but the fact is TD put together multiple first or second seed teams with multiple nfc championship appearances and a Superbowl as well as multiple winning seasons and playoff appearances.....and those teams all had back bones of players drafted by TD.

So dude is clueless.

We took Matthews at 6 overall and Vic at 8 overall. It wasn’t just the last 3 years. It’s the last 3 years of every regime of the Dimitroff era. 

Which is to say, it’s a pattern. 

For me, there's no pressure for them to win at all, especially with the cap situation as it is. It gives them the perfect opportunity to evaluate the players they've got and answer some key questions without being on the hot seat. Questions like: has Matt Ryan still got it? Is Kaleb McGary any good? Is Calvin Ridley a true WR1? Can Dante Fowler step up? Is anyone in our secondary actually any good? They can then try and fix those problems next year and properly go for it. Any wins this year are a bonus.

13 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

I was just thinking that since Tennessee got Julio for a second rounder, maybe we could send them a first to get him back. They'd be crazy to turn it down.

Sounds silly?  Really no, we are the Falcons...:lol: I mean we gave a future 1st away to draft a blocking TE (Reggie Kelly) in the 2nd round that year after having drafting a TE the year before...book em Dano Reeves :tiphat:

"ending an era in Atlanta and bringing many questions to the fore.

Jones gives Tennessee improved odds to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, and his departure leaves Atlanta at a crossroads."

The writer lost me after these two statements.  

First of all, trading away a WR does not leave "many questions".  How our defense will rebound after the last couple years leaves many questions.

• The replacement #1 WR was already in place
  • A potential stud pass catcher of a TE was drafted this year
  • The play caller tends to focus much less on throwing to WRs than the previous OC.

Second, saying they've improved their odds to make it to the SB after trading for a 32 yo WR in June just seems a bit over the top for me.  Speaking of questions on defense, until the Titans prove they can improve their pass defense, they'll have a hard time "representing the AFC in the Super Bowl".  Let's wait for some games to be played before we start talking about teams making the SB.

Finally, for the crossroads comment, there's a new regime that has started down a new path with this franchise.  Their is still much work to be done, but IMO rebuilding the core of the team with young talent before you have your future QB on his rookie contract is exactly what I wanted to see happen.  This is a team that's on a path to recovery, not a team at a crossroads. 

I don't agree 100%.  But anyone is entitled to their opinion.  

I do not hate the Titans, in fact, I am married to a ravenous Titans fan and (True Story) when my first child was born the nurse brought her into the recovery room and my wife was watching Steve "Air" McNair clean house.  The first words my kid heard from mom on earth were "Go Titans! Touchdown!"  and I have that on film (because you never let someone forget the first words they say to their baby are about football).

Anyway, Tennessee has a shot at being legit this year, deep run or maybe conference finals.  I would not be surprised to see Julio do pretty well there especially with guys like Henry taking up some slack.  We'll see.  

I think ATL will be good this year but great by 2022.  That's OK with me because of all the changes.  If I'm wrong and we win a ship that's awesome.  But I think we have a lot of work to get there.  There are wins on the horizon for sure.  

19 hours ago, peoriabird said:

So let me get this straight...We should have passed on the best player in the draft to draft the 4th best Quarterback who went 11th??

Another way of looking at this. Atlanta could've traded back, still got a quarterback AND another first round pick.  Smith is gonna ride the wheels off Pitts ( he already is in OTA according to the article) to justify drafting a tight end instead of grabbing a franchise quarterback OR trading back and stockpiling picks.

Whether one of the two first round picks they could've had was a quarterback isn't the important issue. The issue is the current roster isn't good enough to win a Superbowl. The Atlanta Hawks kept going to the playoffs and not winning. They tore it down and currently have a team that CAN win the chip. Staying competitive with a top heavy roster doesn't win championships. You have to have depth.

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Sounds silly?  Really no, we are the Falcons...:lol: I mean we gave a future 1st away to draft a blocking TE (Reggie Kelly) in the 2nd round that year after having drafting a TE the year before...book em Dano Reeves :tiphat:

What made that even worse was we traded a future 1st to draft TE Kelly. 

Dan was an Excellent HC, but sucked royally as a GM.

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

What made that even worse was we traded a future 1st to draft TE Kelly. 

Dan was an Excellent HC, but sucked royally as a GM.

You are correct sir and I said that in my post as well.  It was a horrible move by Reeves considering we had drafted TE OJ Santiago the year before.  

20 hours ago, jetpac said:

It’s a gamble. Obviously if Matt stays healthy and productive for the next two, three years and we win a championship; the right move was made. Beyond that, to pass up on Fields (if he turns out to be **** hood; which he might NOT) will forever be looked at as a blunder.

Ah.... The biggest gamble we could have made was to draft a Rook QB ,, and no telling how long it would be before he'd be ready to take over anyway.... Plus a Rookie QB has a higher Bust risk than any other players. To me that's a 10 to 1 odds of a chance to make a playoff birth will Ryan  this season..  Now,, All that matter is this season NOW! Next year will take care of itself.  WE don't want a Supper bowl in the sweet bye and bye.. WE want to go to the Super bowl in the Sweet Now and Now !!  Come on Man !!!  Think !

15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah we will re-visit this "4th best QB" BS in a few years.  amazing how people cannot learn from history. 

I honestly can't wait right now I'm watching Chicago and Jacksonville very closely. I think we will regret this draft. By the way I think Kyle Pitts is great just don't think he was what we needed "right now" Basically we should have been blowing this up, but it's whatever.

Hopefully you and Spts1 are right. I'm rooting for Fields think he's getting a raw deal 2 times in a row with UGA and now Atlanta.

28 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

They were ecstatic about drafting Mitch Trubisky also.

They admitted that they over drafted Trubiscuit.  They made up for it with this draft. The funny thing is they learned from their mistake of not drafting a physically gifted quarterback. (passing on Mahomes and Watson). When will Atlanta learn?

48 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah we will re-visit this "4th best QB" BS in a few years.  amazing how people cannot learn from history. 

Chicago did. They saw the mistake of passing on a physically gifted quarterback (Mahomes and Watson) and are esctatic that Justin fell down far enough so that they could move up and draft him.  Fields is the best quarterback in this draft. Nagy said that Ryan Day pulled him aside months ago and told him that Justin Fields is a generational talent at quarterback...

2 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

They admitted that they over drafted Trubiscuit.  They made up for it with this draft. The funny thing is they learned from their mistake of not drafting a physically gifted quarterback. (passing on Mahomes and Watson). When will Atlanta learn?

Learn what exactly? Are you implying that Ryan was a bust of a pick 13 years ago because he isn't "physically gifted?"

What's your boy Watson done that Ryan hasn't? Well, besides messing around with massage therapists...

I'll wait...

4 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Chicago did. They saw the mistake of passing on a physically gifted quarterback (Mahomes and Watson) and are esctatic that Justin fell down far enough so that they could move up and draft him.  Fields is the best quarterback in this draft. Nagy said that Ryan Day pulled him aside months ago and told him that Justin Fields is a generational talent at quarterback...

Physically gifted QB that stunk against the only good Big 10 teams he played this past year and was trash against Alabama. Dude was missing wide open guys. Sure he did well against Clemson, but that’s 1 out of 4 games where he wasn’t a liability for his team.

He was better his sophomore year, grant it once he had to play outside of that trash conference he was exposed.

Sure he was “hurt” in the 19 Clemson and 20 Alabama games, but if he gets hurt against the two most physical teams he plays, that’s not good news in the pros where teams are much more physical. 

Just watching film from this past year of the top guys (not gonna count Lance because he only played 1 game) and it was pretty clear Fields was the 4th best guy of the 4. He also played with the most talent (he’s got 2 guys that will go in the first round at WR and then some, plus he didn’t lose his 2nd guy halfway through the year) and he also played bad competition (second only to Wilson, but Wilson also didn’t play with that much talent). 

Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I’m not sure what you saw last year that makes you think Fields is some generational type talent. You wanna see generational type talent, go look at that other Clemson kid that’s gonna start this year. That kid is gonna be an absolute stud, better than Lawrence or Watson.

6 hours ago, alexhead97 said:

For me, there's no pressure for them to win at all, especially with the cap situation as it is. It gives them the perfect opportunity to evaluate the players they've got and answer some key questions without being on the hot seat. Questions like: has Matt Ryan still got it? Is Kaleb McGary any good? Is Calvin Ridley a true WR1? Can Dante Fowler step up? Is anyone in our secondary actually any good? They can then try and fix those problems next year and properly go for it. Any wins this year are a bonus.

They certainly have a "grace period"