Falcons At Crossroads

11 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Not at a Crossroads. We don't have to decide on a direction, we've already set our course with Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenot. They are under ZERO pressure to win this year. They dam sure better be safe next year too because the mess DQ and TD left couldn't be cleaned up in a season.

If Blank gives these two the time he gave the previous regime, they will make the Falcons better than they've ever been before. You can take that to the bank.

We weren't in the top half of most power rankings before the trade. Most that I've seen have us ~21-24. Since we didn't get a player in return, it stands to reason that Fontenot and Smith have less pressure to make this work, not more. This season is a gimme for them. Only horrible on-field situational calls can put heat on either guy.

36 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

You said passing on Fields would forever be look at as a blunder right?  You also said that Matt has to stay healthy and we must win a championship for it not to be seen as a blunder?  What did I miss??

Oh so we’re doing selective reading. Okay let me help.

If Matt doesn’t stay healthy, we aren’t competitive, and we don’t win any championships. It will def be a blunder. 

Second part

That said, this also depends on if Fields is even any good in the NFL. Which makes this subject so subjective.

You can stop being hurt now.

1 minute ago, jetpac said:

Oh so we’re doing selective reading. Okay let me help.

If Matt doesn’t stay healthy, we aren’t competitive, and we don’t win any championships. It will def be a blunder. 

Second part

That said, this also depends on if Fields is even any good in the NFL. Which makes this subject so subjective.

You can stop being hurt now.

So to be clear...Would you have Drafted Pitts???

1 minute ago, JayOzOne said:

It stands to reason that teams who are most likely to draft all-pros are those picking earlier in the draft. First come, first served. The fact that we haven't grabbed more stars in the draft might lend itself to the fact that we've been picking in the latter half of the draft for most of a decade. If that's the fact, it's disingenuous to talk about how horrible the drafting has been.

Well all pro's come in all rounds.

But yeah.....this was the first that that we picked in the top 5 since 2008.

Previously I think the highest that we had picked under TD was 15th.

Obviously the last 3 years have not ended as well as we wanted but the fact is TD put together multiple first or second seed teams with multiple nfc championship appearances and a Superbowl as well as multiple winning seasons and playoff appearances.....and those teams all had back bones of players drafted by TD.

So dude is clueless.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Obviously the last 3 years have not ended as well as we wanted but the fact is TD put together multiple first or second seed teams with multiple nfc championship appearances and a Superbowl as well as multiple winning seasons and playoff appearances.....and those teams all had back bones of players drafted by TD.

So dude is clueless.

facts..as much has td made this mess he did some good too we found players under his watch..but boy did he leave a mess when he left though

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

I bumped heads with a Falcons podcaster this week. He believes the Falcons regime is under immense pressure to win right away and I told him that Fontenot and Smith are playing with house money for a year. Seeing if they can do something positive with TD's personnel gives them a built-in excuse if things go wrong. IMO, that's the opposite of being on the hot seat. Then, I read this article on Fansided (I know, I know...) which I thought was interesting. It offered the perspectives of various personnel execs about what we need to do next.

Falcons at crossroads after Julio Jones trade

This week, we survey NFL executives on where the Falcons go after trading Julio Jones, dives into the Broncos passing on a quarterback and much more.

The Atlanta Falcons did what was painful but necessary Sunday, trading arguably the greatest player in franchise history, wide receiver Julio Jones, to the Tennessee Titans.

Sources inside the league are split on where they believe Atlanta goes from here.

“They had to get rid of him now,” a veteran personnel evaluator tells FanSided. “With a new head coach, a new general manager, and a new culture going in, the last thing you want is a disgruntled veteran leader who is highly, highly respected by teammates in that locker room, especially during training camp. Everybody feeds off him. If it’s inevitable, and your owner is on board, do it. Make the trade.”

New general manager Terry Fontenot did exactly that, Sunday, shipping Jones and a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Titans in exchange for a second-round pick in next year’s NFL Draft, as well as a fourth-round pick in 2023, ending an era in Atlanta and bringing many questions to the fore.

Jones gives Tennessee improved odds to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, and his departure leaves Atlanta at a crossroads.

“They need to get out of cap **** next year, try to build around Matt Ryan over the next two years,” a current NFC personnel executive tells FanSided. “And pray.”

Many NFL scouts say Jones remains the league’s premier wide receiver after averaged 85 receptions for 1,289 yards and six touchdowns through the first 10 seasons of his career. However, Atlanta ended up moving on following a decade’s worth of poor drafting and mismanagement of the cap.

For Fontenot, the Jones deal represents a significant step towards cleaning up the significant mess left behind by his predecessor, Thomas Dimitroff.

During Dimitroff’s 13 seasons as Atlanta’s general manager, the only players the Falcons chose in the NFL Draft who eventually became First-Team All-Pro selections were Jones, linebacker Vic Beasley, and quarterback Matt Ryan.

Now, with Ryan about to enter his 13th season at age 36, the Falcons have approached a fork in the road when it comes to trying to piecemeal a roster around the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback or tear it down and start from scratch.

“If I’m the Falcons, I’m ripping the Bandaid off and going full rebuild,” an AFC scout tells FanSided. “Draft a quarterback next year and use the picks from the Julio trade to rebuild. You can’t try to win now and try to rebuild now. That’s how you wind up in purgatory.”

For the Falcons, though, it isn’t that easy.

When Atlanta passed on quarterback Justin Fields with the No. 4 overall pick, choosing Kyle Pitts, the Falcons were signaling they believe they can win now.

That’s one risky and one super-expensive proposition.

Especially for a Falcons franchise that now finds itself with just $16.14 million in cap space this season and $15.65 million in projected cap space in 2022, 11th-lowest in the league.

In the interim, the NFC executive believes all hope is not lost for the Falcons, even after Jones’ departure.

“They have some pieces,” the executive says. “Their offensive line is solid, for the most part. Ryan, (Calvin) Ridley, and Pitts are a nice trio. Grady Jarrett, A.J. Terrell and Deion Jones are nice pieces on defense. The cupboard isn’t completely bare. Ryan and a new coach will make up for some of that team’s deficiencies.”

But, if the Falcons instead decide to tear it all down and try to trade Ryan, eyeing a rookie quarterback on a rookie contract in 2022 in an offense with Ridley and Pitts, the price would add up quickly.

By trading Ryan post-June 1, the move would trigger a $24.9 million dead-cap charge while freeing up $23.7 million spending flexibility.

“Everything about Atlanta’s future depends on how Matt Ryan plays,” the evaluator says. “I think Matt has at least two or three really good years left. You have to protect him, give him some personnel around him so he doesn’t have to do it all by himself.”

Trading Jones freed up cap space for the Falcons in 2022, but they’ll absorb a large dead cap hit this season, which certainly complicates the already difficult prospects of rebuilding on the fly around Ryan.

“Matt can still play,” the evaluator believes. “If you gave me the chance to start Matt Ryan or a journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick, give me Matt Ryan every time. What the Falcons should do is take the money freed up by trading Julio and invest it in the best offensive tackle free agent this offseason and take a tackle in the first-round. You can win with what they have.

“But here’s the thing, they have to, absolutely have to hit on free agency and the NFL Draft the next couple years. They have to. They haven’t done that for a long time, and that’s why they have a new GM and a new head coach.”

For all of the uncertainty the Falcons face, Tennessee elevated its chances of winning a Super Bowl this season.

The Titans get to drop Jones into an offense that already features A.J. Brown, who caught 70 passes for a career-high 1,075 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, and running back Derrick Henry who will be going for his third consecutive rushing title.

“You’re gambling bigger than life because of the contract you’re paying Julio and crossing your fingers he stays healthy,” the evaluator says. “But just look at their odds, Las Vegas gave the Titans better odds to win the Super Bowl after the trade, after acquiring one player … Who isn’t a quarterback. Julio is special. This trade is a big-time win for Tennessee.”

https://fansided.com/2021/06/09/falcons-trade-julio-jones-broncos-quarterback-rumors/

He lost me when he said he'd get rid of Ryan...     :flame:

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

So dude is clueless.

People can twist any situation to their narrative. It happens in politics; it happens in sports. TD had a fair run in Atlanta and if Quinn was a better coach, I'd argue TD would still be our GM.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

I bumped heads with a Falcons podcaster this week. He believes the Falcons regime is under immense pressure to win right away and I told him that Fontenot and Smith are playing with house money for a year. Seeing if they can do something positive with TD's personnel gives them a built-in excuse if things go wrong. IMO, that's the opposite of being on the hot seat. Then, I read this article on Fansided (I know, I know...) which I thought was interesting. It offered the perspectives of various personnel execs about what we need to do next.

Falcons at crossroads after Julio Jones trade

This week, we survey NFL executives on where the Falcons go after trading Julio Jones, dives into the Broncos passing on a quarterback and much more.

The Atlanta Falcons did what was painful but necessary Sunday, trading arguably the greatest player in franchise history, wide receiver Julio Jones, to the Tennessee Titans.

Sources inside the league are split on where they believe Atlanta goes from here.

“They had to get rid of him now,” a veteran personnel evaluator tells FanSided. “With a new head coach, a new general manager, and a new culture going in, the last thing you want is a disgruntled veteran leader who is highly, highly respected by teammates in that locker room, especially during training camp. Everybody feeds off him. If it’s inevitable, and your owner is on board, do it. Make the trade.”

New general manager Terry Fontenot did exactly that, Sunday, shipping Jones and a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Titans in exchange for a second-round pick in next year’s NFL Draft, as well as a fourth-round pick in 2023, ending an era in Atlanta and bringing many questions to the fore.

Jones gives Tennessee improved odds to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl, and his departure leaves Atlanta at a crossroads.

“They need to get out of cap **** next year, try to build around Matt Ryan over the next two years,” a current NFC personnel executive tells FanSided. “And pray.”

Many NFL scouts say Jones remains the league’s premier wide receiver after averaged 85 receptions for 1,289 yards and six touchdowns through the first 10 seasons of his career. However, Atlanta ended up moving on following a decade’s worth of poor drafting and mismanagement of the cap.

For Fontenot, the Jones deal represents a significant step towards cleaning up the significant mess left behind by his predecessor, Thomas Dimitroff.

During Dimitroff’s 13 seasons as Atlanta’s general manager, the only players the Falcons chose in the NFL Draft who eventually became First-Team All-Pro selections were Jones, linebacker Vic Beasley, and quarterback Matt Ryan.

Now, with Ryan about to enter his 13th season at age 36, the Falcons have approached a fork in the road when it comes to trying to piecemeal a roster around the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback or tear it down and start from scratch.

“If I’m the Falcons, I’m ripping the Bandaid off and going full rebuild,” an AFC scout tells FanSided. “Draft a quarterback next year and use the picks from the Julio trade to rebuild. You can’t try to win now and try to rebuild now. That’s how you wind up in purgatory.”

For the Falcons, though, it isn’t that easy.

When Atlanta passed on quarterback Justin Fields with the No. 4 overall pick, choosing Kyle Pitts, the Falcons were signaling they believe they can win now.

That’s one risky and one super-expensive proposition.

Especially for a Falcons franchise that now finds itself with just $16.14 million in cap space this season and $15.65 million in projected cap space in 2022, 11th-lowest in the league.

In the interim, the NFC executive believes all hope is not lost for the Falcons, even after Jones’ departure.

“They have some pieces,” the executive says. “Their offensive line is solid, for the most part. Ryan, (Calvin) Ridley, and Pitts are a nice trio. Grady Jarrett, A.J. Terrell and Deion Jones are nice pieces on defense. The cupboard isn’t completely bare. Ryan and a new coach will make up for some of that team’s deficiencies.”

But, if the Falcons instead decide to tear it all down and try to trade Ryan, eyeing a rookie quarterback on a rookie contract in 2022 in an offense with Ridley and Pitts, the price would add up quickly.

By trading Ryan post-June 1, the move would trigger a $24.9 million dead-cap charge while freeing up $23.7 million spending flexibility.

“Everything about Atlanta’s future depends on how Matt Ryan plays,” the evaluator says. “I think Matt has at least two or three really good years left. You have to protect him, give him some personnel around him so he doesn’t have to do it all by himself.”

Trading Jones freed up cap space for the Falcons in 2022, but they’ll absorb a large dead cap hit this season, which certainly complicates the already difficult prospects of rebuilding on the fly around Ryan.

“Matt can still play,” the evaluator believes. “If you gave me the chance to start Matt Ryan or a journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick, give me Matt Ryan every time. What the Falcons should do is take the money freed up by trading Julio and invest it in the best offensive tackle free agent this offseason and take a tackle in the first-round. You can win with what they have.

“But here’s the thing, they have to, absolutely have to hit on free agency and the NFL Draft the next couple years. They have to. They haven’t done that for a long time, and that’s why they have a new GM and a new head coach.”

For all of the uncertainty the Falcons face, Tennessee elevated its chances of winning a Super Bowl this season.

The Titans get to drop Jones into an offense that already features A.J. Brown, who caught 70 passes for a career-high 1,075 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, and running back Derrick Henry who will be going for his third consecutive rushing title.

“You’re gambling bigger than life because of the contract you’re paying Julio and crossing your fingers he stays healthy,” the evaluator says. “But just look at their odds, Las Vegas gave the Titans better odds to win the Super Bowl after the trade, after acquiring one player … Who isn’t a quarterback. Julio is special. This trade is a big-time win for Tennessee.”

https://fansided.com/2021/06/09/falcons-trade-julio-jones-broncos-quarterback-rumors/

which podcaster did you get into it with?? lol 

1 minute ago, Draftnut57 said:

He lost me when he said he'd get rid of Ryan...     :flame:

So, you knew I was talking about Aaron, huh? I was surprised that he thinks this season is anything more than a barometer for which way the team should go.

Just now, RoddyWhite84 said:

which podcaster did you get into it with?? lol 

Aaron Freeman of Locked On Falcons. To be fair, I disagree with a lot of his takes but I respect his knowledge and give good ratings to his pods. And being more fair than that, he's right more often than I am. Just don't see how anybody is on the hot seat right now.

Just now, JayOzOne said:

Aaron Freeman of Locked On Falcons. To be fair, I disagree with a lot of his takes but I respect his knowledge and give good ratings to his pods. And being more fair than that, he's right more often than I am. Just don't see how anybody is on the hot seat right now.

they arent its a brand new slate and how productive is that if the new guys come in and its instant produce or die how can anyone think thats how that is when AB put up with quinn years longer than he should have 

facts..as much has td made this mess he did some good too we found players under his watch..but boy did he leave a mess when he left though

Not really.

If we have success it is going to be based on the guys that he drafted/signed

I mean as of right now atleast 4 of the starting olinemen will be guys brought in by TD.

The 2 presumed starting receivers will be TD guys

Obviously Ryan Is a TD guy.

So really of the starting 11 on offense 8 or 9 will be TD guys.

On def there will certainly be  more turnover with my best guess only 7 maybe 8 tops will be TD guys....which could be lower.

The secondary will have the biggest shake up.

But the front 7 is largely going to be made up of TD guys

And that group is better than the record would indicate.

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Not really.

If we have success it is going to be based on the guys that he drafted/signed

I mean as of right now atleast 4 of the starting olinemen will be guys brought in by TD.

The 2 presumed starting receivers will be TD guys

Obviously Ryan Is a TD guy.

So really of the starting 11 on offense 8 or 9 will be TD guys.

On def there will certainly be  more turnover with my best guess only 7 maybe 8 tops will be TD guys....which could be lower.

The secondary will have the biggest shake up.

But the front 7 is largely going to be made up of TD guys

And that group is better than the record would indicate.

i was refering to the money situation more so than personel the player side we have pieces..good pieces to build from but the money ehh but once covid is over and the money comes back that wont be that big of an issue 

8 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

People can twist any situation to their narrative. It happens in politics; it happens in sports. TD had a fair run in Atlanta and if Quinn was a better coach, I'd argue TD would still be our GM.

I think that had we won the Superbowl...I would agree

Had we won that games then I think alot of things would be different.

30 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I was just thinking that since Tennessee got Julio for a second rounder, maybe we could send them a first to get him back. They'd be crazy to turn it down.

Tennessee trading for a 32 year old WR with a large cap hit makes it sound like they are the team at a crossroads. They are the team that needs to win now, because WR's drop off a lot faster than QB's.

i was refering to the money situation more so than personel the player side we have pieces..good pieces to build from but the money ehh but once covid is over and the money comes back that wont be that big of an issue 

But again....that is more covid than anything else.

Had we had a normal cap year  then we would have been on pretty good shape.

We would have been 4-6 million under and if we made the same moves (cuts/ restructures) we would have about 30mill to play with ...and that is not even counting trading Julio.

40 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I was just thinking that since Tennessee got Julio for a second rounder, maybe we could send them a first to get him back. They'd be crazy to turn it down.

In the spirit of being fair and equitable, this sort of deal only makes sense if we offer to pick up the salary of whatever they negotiate with Julio as well.

8 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

But again....that is more covid than anything else.

Had we had a normal cap year  then we would have been on pretty good shape.

We would have been 4-6 million under and if we made the same moves (cuts/ restructures) we would have about 30mill to play with ...and that is not even counting trading Julio.

Don't know why, but I never considered this. Julio was a cap casualty because of the reduced cap. We're not in cap **** because TD screwed up his calculations; we're in cap **** because those calculations were based on numbers from a normal economic projections.

2 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Don't know why, but I never considered this. Julio was a cap casualty because of the reduced cap. We're not in cap **** because TD screwed up his calculations; we're in cap **** because those calculations were based on numbers from a normal economic projections.

Perzactly