Schultz: Falcons’ Arthur Smith on Julio Jones: ‘I don’t worry about players I never coached’ - The Athletic

22 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

That’s true of all news media idiots. It’s not enough that the question gets answered. They have to be able to say “I asked [insert target] about [insert subject] and they said…”. 

The fact that the same question has been asked a dozen times, or that they’re wasting everybody’s time doesn’t matter at all.

And they all glossed over what may have been the most intriguing statement since they got rid of Julio and his heavy cap hit:

“We could possibly make a trade in camp — you never know,” Smith said. “Everything is on the table.”

Just now, RetroRoq said:

And they all glossed over what may have been the most intriguing statement since they got rid of Julio and his heavy cap hit:

“We could possibly make a trade in camp — you never know,” Smith said. “Everything is on the table.”

Yep! I remember the other day throwing out the ability to make a trade now that we have some cash and extra draft picks. 

That flexibility can be used in a lot of ways!

2 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

The Falcons are doing something we are not used to, making commitments to a total team approach.  They are fostering competition and are trying to introduce a more consistent culture.  You do that by commiting your decisions on the success of the red and black alone.  Buy in, work hard, get it done, or you are gone.

10 hours ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Refreshing not to hear amped, pumped, juiced, leader of men, arrive with bad intentions, or any other gun store shirt slogan at a press conference.

Yeah—no more picking up utility poles, ripping phone books in half, boxing kangaroos or coach bro speak.   I would have dealt Julio for that alone. 

the trade also exposed once and for all that ‘the brotherhood’ was a sham.   ‘We’re in this together—unless you’re our best player and don’t feel like practicing’

2 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Yep! I remember the other day throwing out the ability to make a trade now that we have some cash and extra draft picks. 

That flexibility can be used in a lot of ways!

Absolutely.  It was never just about the apparent compensation, it was what could be achieved with some flexibility.

1 minute ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Yeah—no more picking up utility poles, ripping phone books in half, boxing kangaroos or coach bro speak.   I would have dealt Julio for that alone. 

the trade also exposed once and for all that ‘the brotherhood’ was a sham.   ‘We’re in this together—unless you’re our best player and don’t feel like practicing’

The whole "Red Bull" salesman schtick was wearing out.  

Trading Julio Jones is big news. So no doubt it's what he was asked about, a lot. For us, we obsessed about it on here for months, it's old hat. 

Looking ahead, what's exciting is the idea that guys are going to move around. Why isn't someone like Hurst, with his speed, not lined up on the outside more often? Why must tight ends be next to the tackle? In the era of speedy pass catching TEs why aren't they used more like receivers? I guess we will find out.

And boy this guy really wants the Falcons to fail. He sounds like posters on here when the Falcons don't take their favorite fourth round pick, even though that guy was taken in the third.

5 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Yep!

This whole thing is like a Groundhog Day of Reeves/Mora (I don’t talk about 07), and the giant correction back to Smitty. 

Reeves was about the nuts and bolts and basics. They can him and get captain smelling salts with that bro mentality running around here. It’s was tolerable when we won, but made you hate him when we weren’t.

So, in comes a Dan, version 2.0, in Smitty to correct things. Then, Blank does the same thing again, by firing Smitty and bringing in another cheerleader.

Hopefully this correction back to  no-nonsense will stick.

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

Trading Julio Jones is big news. So no doubt it's what he was asked about, a lot. For us, we obsessed about it on here for months, it's old hat. 

Looking ahead, what's exciting is the idea that guys are going to move around. Why isn't someone like Hurst, with his speed, not lined up on the outside more often? Why must tight ends be next to the tackle? In the era of speedy pass catching TEs why aren't they used more like receivers? I guess we will find out.

And boy this guy really wants the Falcons to fail. He sounds like posters on here when the Falcons don't take their favorite fourth round pick, even though that guy was taken in the third.

People covering the Falcons are used to a culture of fail.  They don't respect us yet as we are pretty much a fail of a franchise.  We've had better years over the last 15, but not consistent.  Falcons gon' Falc is still something everyone thinks.  Until we can build a culture of success, we are always going to be treated with disdain and derision.

6 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

People covering the Falcons are used to a culture of fail.  They don't respect us yet as we are pretty much a fail of a franchise.  We've had better years over the last 15, but not consistent.  Falcons gon' Falc is still something everyone thinks.  Until we can build a culture of success, we are always going to be treated with disdain and derision.

Which is so funny, because it's just football. Granted every sports reporter out there takes the negative view of the team they cover. I don't follow the Boston press but I will bet the Patriots caught crap last year, despite the past 20 years.

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Which is so funny, because it's just football. Granted every sports reporter out there takes the negative view of the team they cover. I don't follow the Boston press but I will bet the Patriots caught crap last year, despite the past 20 years.

There is more homerism in towns where there is really only one good team.

In towns where there are multiple teams that are contending at the same time, the press is extremely negative all the time until the actual championship win.

For a large part of the Patriots run, the RedSox were the bigger story in New England, and the press treated both teams equally brutal despite the multiple championship runs.

27 minutes ago, Jesus said:

35 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Media guys like fans are opinionated and emotionally Invested in the teams they cover. I was in Boston the day after the 2007 SB loss to NYG. The beat writers and fans calling in would have made you believed that Pats went 0-16 not 16-0. Winning cures lot of this stuff. 

I have a feeling we're bringing in another RB either through FA or trade. Feel like that was the plan for TF all along as he know before the draft he'd be trading Julio and getting some money to play with later, so he kicked the RB can down the road but will follow through on getting someone else.

11 hours ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

Refreshing not to hear amped, pumped, juiced, leader of men, arrive with bad intentions, or any other gun store shirt slogan at a press conference.

Right on!

31 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Kick'em while they're down

1 hour ago, RetroRoq said:

Yeah, quite a profound statement, since trades aren't really that prevalent. That's a "Duh" statement. "We MIGHT make a trade." Well, no ****! Everytime MIGHT make a trade. 

1 hour ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Reading about the contract hold out was kind of eye opening to be honest. Julio build this image of not being a diva, then kind of acted like one. 

11 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Man, I'd love it if just once, he'd tell the reporters "We have a lot of fans who are more interested in how the Falcons are shaping up than the Titans. Asking me the same question 10 different ways seems like a lazy way to spend media availability. Especially when you already know the answer".

Let the national media dig into the trade. If you're a Falcons media writer and you can only ask the same **** question as everybody else (and that you asked at the last press conference), you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, it just kills me how they do this over and over.   Like - Oh I'm sorry if this has been asked, I had technical difficulties getting on - or I was late joining.    BS!   They just want to ask the same lame, tired questions that take up the bulk of the interview, leaving us with so many unanswered good questions about those things that actually are going on with the Falcons.

It's always this way.   Sad, lazy and unprofessional in my mind.   All they want is some juicy tidbit they can twist into a storyline to cause more dissention in the team and the fans - and give them more gossip and crap to write about in the process.

13 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

There are obvious questions about the team that we see this season. Will the secondary improve? Will the OL gel? Will we get production out of the DL?

But for me, one of the most important question will be if we see guys run out as WR2 and WR3 who would keep those designations on another team? Julio's departure is tough but IMO, the most important impact it'll have on the team will be how it affects receiver depth.

Coach's use of Pitts on the edges will obviously be important. But Gage, Zacchaeus and Darby will have opportunities to play huge roles. Let's hope they step up.

Agreed that's going to be a large factor.  Probably not as large as OL or secondary, but a big one.

I'd be fine if we had a 2nd round type WR or a known 800 yard guy to pair with Gage and then hopefully one of the other guys develops behind them.

It could go a number of ways, got to believe Wholio wasn't the only one having a bromance with Quinn. Might see a few other players move on before Smith gets players on the same page as him. I think they will be better and more balanced, but right now the talent just isn't there to make a lot of noise year one, especially on defense. A lot depends on those 2nd and 3rd year players Marlon Comminsky Terrell all got to bring it Deion and Grady need to step up even more as leaders. In some ways I think the defense will be surprisingly better with Pees, even more so than the offense early on.