Why do you think the Falcons got dominated in the playoffs so much when Mike Smith was head coach?

The culture created by those head coaches was mentally weak. They created a mental barrier about the "playoffs" and each time this mental barrier created to much adversity for them to overcome. 

Fastforwad to Quinn, he teams did fine in the playoffs but their mental breakdown was closing out games you can see the team mentally go "omg not again" late in games and it just created a domino effect of failure. 

These are all signs of lack of mental toughness which is a sign of a weak culture for a football team. 

8 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

The problem has almost always been DEFENSE, and lacking a consistent pass rush. The OL has always been questionable too. TD sucked at building in the trenches.

What money were we gonna use to build a decent D? Why were we always looking for defensive talent in the draft.

ya’ll can continue to harp on the D all you want, but outside of Abraham we haven’t had a defensive player, that was a consensus beast amongst NFL fans.

The offense has always been built and payed to carry this team, and they continuously fail.

1 hour ago, Radiant City said:

What money were we gonna use to build a decent D? Why were we always looking for defensive talent in the draft.

ya’ll can continue to harp on the D all you want, but outside of Abraham we haven’t had a defensive player, that was a consensus beast amongst NFL fans.

The offense has always been built and payed to carry this team, and they continuously fail.

Why are people so obsessed with what the general public NFL fan thinks? The general NFL fan doesn't know diddity poo about the Atlanta Falcons. It just blows my mind how someone will spout off something and then try to use public opinion to "prove" their point?

Mike Smith got very conservative late in games that were close.  Teams lay it on the line in the playoffs, making them more dynamic.  Mike stuck with his conservative plan on offense and defense when the score was close.  The competition got more dynamic and the Falcons would keep plodding.

The conservative plan works well against a fast scoring team if they make mistakes.  But, in the playoffs, you are facing teams that make fewer mistakes than most.  It is necessary to take chances that Mike Smith would not take.

16 minutes ago, Radiant City said:

The offense was built mostly through the draft; Ryan, Roddy, Julio, Hooper, Matthews, Freeman, Coleman, were all drafted. The big free agent acquisitions were Turner, Gonzalez and Mack. You can’t say that the Falcons were not actively trying to build a good defense because adequate money and draft picks were spent on the defense numerous times in an effort to build it into a good unit; TD passed on good players and overpaid for others. Assante Samuels, Daunta Robinson, Osi Umenyora, Brooks Reed, and Dwight Freeney were traded for or signed in free agency. TD used numerous 1st, second and third round picks on defensive players trying to build a formidable unit; TD was not looking to rely solely offense to win games. First round picks were used for Peria Jerry, Sean Weatherspoon, Trufant, Neal, Beasley, McKinley, and AJ Terrell. While second round picks were used for Alford, Dieon Jones, Jalen Collins, Isiah Oliver, and many other defensive players. Money up until recently has not ever been the problem with why the defense has sucked, but more so because TD failed on numerous defensive picks; look at how many of these guys are no longer on the team or in the NFL.

Posted (edited)

I remember hearing a stat back then that in all the playoff games under Mike Smith, the offense had only averaged 4 points in the fourth quarter  and averaged 2.5 turnovers.

Since most of the games ended up pretty close, this would probably prove to be a trend to identify as being somewhat important

I want to say that I looked it up and verified it to be true, but I dont even know where to find that kind of data point anymore without about a dozen cookies acknowledgement clicks.. got no time for that.

Edited by RetroRoq

17 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I admit I appreciate Mike Smith much more now than I did when he was here. His teams were always the least penalized in the league. And they had excellent technique all around that was beneficial to the rules. I actually think if he were the head coach of the 2016 team with Shanahan as the OC, that team wins the super bowl. 

I 110% agree. 

Against Arizona the refs were letting their d-line play offside all game long... people forget how blatant and awful it was, but it was the biggest factor in the game. Still, if it wasn't for 3-17 Falcons probably take that game regardless... Then against Green Bay, well Green Bay was a buzzsaw... similar to us in 2016. They didn't have a great record but had gotten insanely hot leading up to the playoffs and the team just didn't have what it takes to play on that level. The worst one was the Giants game IMO, I think it was clear we needed a better OC after that game. Kept getting into 3 and short situations all game long and couldn't convert. The San Fran game I don't think was on the coaching at all. San Fran was a fantastic team that year, they were favored to win. Falcons had a pretty nice lead but then San Fran started exposing our linebackers in coverage and a few unlucky plays like the fumble and the "no call" on fourth and short sealed our fate. Honestly I don't any of those games were on Mike Smith personally except maybe that Giants game.

8 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Mike Smith got very conservative late in games that were close.  Teams lay it on the line in the playoffs, making them more dynamic.  Mike stuck with his conservative plan on offense and defense when the score was close.  The competition got more dynamic and the Falcons would keep plodding.

The conservative plan works well against a fast scoring team if they make mistakes.  But, in the playoffs, you are facing teams that make fewer mistakes than most.  It is necessary to take chances that Mike Smith would not take.

Wish we had tried that strategy in the superbowl. For all of the **** Mike Smith took for his conservative second half gameplanning I believe Falcons had one of the best records leading after halftime in the NFL during his tenure. 

Posted (edited)

A mix of facing better teams every team we lost too ended up being the NFC superbowl representative, Smith being a bit too conservative, and some bad luck.  We played two awful playoff games under Smitty NY/GB.  We also nearly upset the Cardinals when Ryan was a rookie and went to the NFC championship game after defeating the vaunted legion of boom from Seattle at the height of their fame.  🤷‍♂️ Smith was an underappreciated coach here in Atlanta he preached consistency made sure we had a strong ground game and good special teams.   Nothing wrong with that did he cap what he could do here or was he let go too soon.  Impossible to know but he wasn't as bad in the playoffs as this thread suggests

Edited by #84

27 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Wish we had tried that strategy in the superbowl. For all of the **** Mike Smith took for his conservative second half gameplanning I believe Falcons had one of the best records leading after halftime in the NFL during his tenure. 

We also had luck, which is why teams figured us out in the playoffs. We were winning on average by 3 points or less.

18 hours ago, Jesus said:

Sometimes you aren't the right coach for the playoffs.  Sometimes the ball bounces the wrong way. Just looking at 2008. The missed assignment where Turner got blown up and fumbled lost the game. Falcons could very well have gone to the super bowl that year. They were just good enough. Then there's the 2011 playoff loss to the Giants where the team just quit playing for some reason.

I just hope Smith 2.0 brings more discipline and organization to the team. 2013-14 teams played a lot like the 2018-20 teams. Lack of discipline and organization. 

You mean the offsides? 

The Cardinals were off-sides the WHOLE GAME. Although they did have our snap count and we never changed it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Yes, there is a case for getting too aggressive.  Shanahan and Smith both simply need to learn to be adaptive.  Both were stubborn to a fault.  The shame is both are very good coaches.  They just need to come around to being adaptive.

Edited by NorthGaBoy

3 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Against Arizona the refs were letting their d-line play offside all game long... people forget how blatant and awful it was, but it was the biggest factor in the game. Still, if it wasn't for 3-17 Falcons probably take that game regardless... Then against Green Bay, well Green Bay was a buzzsaw... similar to us in 2016. They didn't have a great record but had gotten insanely hot leading up to the playoffs and the team just didn't have what it takes to play on that level. The worst one was the Giants game IMO, I think it was clear we needed a better OC after that game. Kept getting into 3 and short situations all game long and couldn't convert. The San Fran game I don't think was on the coaching at all. San Fran was a fantastic team that year, they were favored to win. Falcons had a pretty nice lead but then San Fran started exposing our linebackers in coverage and a few unlucky plays like the fumble and the "no call" on fourth and short sealed our fate. Honestly I don't any of those games were on Mike Smith personally except maybe that Giants game.

Exactly. And that jumping offsides clearly led to the botched handoff between Ryan and Turner that resulted in a Cardinals TD. Despite everything they had going against them they still nearly won.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:34 AM, jetpac said:

We were for all intents purposes Mike Smith's team, SOFT. That was the perception around the league and we did VERY little to shake that notion.

https://www.nfl.com/news/mike-smith-helped-save-atlanta-falcons-but-a-change-is-in-order-0ap3000000414246

Actually, there was very little on that team that was Mike Smith’s.

And Mike Smith was anything but soft. And Adam Schein is a goofus clown.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:41 PM, falcndave said:

In general, not as talented as the teams they were playing. The exception was probably the year they lost to the 9ers. 

Most heartbreaking game I ever attended in person.  We got screwed with the Roddy non PI call.

Line of scrimmage. Average or league worst during his years. 
it was always one good enough person on the Dline and no help to be dominant. 
Abe had no help 

Babs had no help 

Beasley didn’t have any help outside an aging Osi 

Grady still doesn’t have help. 

it’s almost like they say “ hey we got one good guy, let’s roll”. 
sad. 

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Actually, there was very little on that team that was Mike Smith’s.

And Mike Smith was anything but soft. And Adam Schein is a goofus clown.

To think calling this man soft? LOL!!! How quickly people forget how Smitty didn't take no beef off anyone.