Why do you think the Falcons got dominated in the playoffs so much when Mike Smith was head coach?

When Mike Smith was head coach for the Falcons the Falcons would often play well all season and then lay a big egg in the playoffs or in win or go home type games. The Falcons got crushed by the Packers 48-21 after beating them in the regular season and earning the 1 seed in 2010. The Falcons got beat 24-2 by the Giants in the playoffs after their offense played well all year with Ryan, Jones, White, Tony G and Michael Turner. Then in 2014 the Falcons got beat 34-3 at home to Carolina in a winner goes to the playoffs game. We beat Carolina earlier that season and was 5-0 in division games until Carolina mauled us.

My question is why do you think the Falcons struggled in playoff atmosphere under Mike Smith? And how can we avoid the same problem under Arthur Smith?

2014 the problem was the oline couldn’t block at all against the Panthers. The nightmare came true.

2008-2011 Smiths run heavy scheme would run Turner into the ground by the end of the year. Also those teams were designed to keep things close.

2008 & 2010 turnovers more or less ruined the Falcons.

2011 was more of a scared game plan and gave waaay too much respect to the Giants pass rush. Again Turner was pretty much running on empty by the time the playoffs came. This also illustrated the limits of Mularkey as a play caller.

2012 absolutely ZERO pass rusher doomed the Falcons… & turnovers.

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

They played better teams

But they beat 2 of the 3 teams earlier in the season. It would be one thing if the Falcons lost close games but they basically played their absolute worst game of the season all 3 times. Under Dan Quinn it was the opposite. The Falcons played some of their best ball in the playoffs and in must win games including the 6-2 run to save Dan Quinn's job. 

9 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

When Mike Smith was head coach for the Falcons the Falcons would often play well all season and then lay a big egg in the playoffs or in win or go home type games. The Falcons got crushed by the Packers 48-21 after beating them in the regular season and earning the 1 seed in 2010. The Falcons got beat 24-2 by the Giants in the playoffs after their offense played well all year with Ryan, Jones, White, Tony G and Michael Turner. Then in 2014 the Falcons got beat 34-3 at home to Carolina in a winner goes to the playoffs game. We beat Carolina earlier that season and was 5-0 in division games until Carolina mauled us.

My question is why do you think the Falcons struggled in playoff atmosphere under Mike Smith? And how can we avoid the same problem under Arthur Smith?

In general, not as talented as the teams they were playing. The exception was probably the year they lost to the 9ers. 

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

But they beat 2 of the 3 teams earlier in the season. It would be one thing if the Falcons lost close games but they basically played their absolute worst game of the season all 3 times. Under Dan Quinn it was the opposite. The Falcons played some of their best ball in the playoffs and in must win games including the 6-2 run to save Dan Quinn's job. 

You ever heard the expression playoff football/basketball is different than regular season?

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

2014 the problem was the oline couldn’t block at all against the Panthers. The nightmare came true.

2008-2010 Smiths run heavy scheme would run Turner into the ground by the end of the year. Also those teams were designed to keep things close.

2008 & 2010 turnovers more or less ruined the Falcons.

2009 was more of a scared game plan and gave waaay too much respect to the Giants pass rush. Again Turner was pretty much running on empty by the time the playoffs came.

That makes a lot of sense. Let's hope we don't run Mike Davis into the ground before playoff time. Hopefully Davis and Ollison or Davis and Hawkins will be a 1 2 punch.

IMO it was a combination of things. Bad luck, bad matchups, etc. 2008-2011, the Falcons happened to be playing a team who was putting it together at the right time. IMO, the 2010 team was the best team in the NFL and actually better than the 2012 Falcons. I think the loss to Green Bay was just a very bad day...The pick 6 at the end of the 2nd quarter forced the Falcons to play out of their style and throw the ball. They were actually a team designed to control the tempo and play with the lead. It just got away from them. As for 2011, the Giants were simply just red hot at the right time. In 2012, I honestly think the team was overrated. They should have lost to the Seahawks and did the exact same thing the following game against SF. We would come out firing with the best plays in the 1st and 2nd quarters and then be exploited in the 2nd half because Koetter sucked. 

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

IMO it was a combination of things. Bad luck, bad matchups, etc. 2008-2011, the Falcons happened to be playing a team who was putting it together at the right time. IMO, the 2010 team was the best team in the NFL and actually better than the 2012 Falcons. I think the loss to Green Bay was just a very bad day...The pick 6 at the end of the 2nd quarter forced the Falcons to play out of their style and throw the ball. They were actually a team designed to control the tempo and play with the lead. It just got away from them. As for 2011, the Giants were simply just red hot at the right time. In 2012, I honestly think the team was overrated. They should have lost to the Seahawks and did the exact same thing the following game against SF. We would come out firing with the best plays in the 1st and 2nd quarters and then be exploited in the 2nd half because Koetter sucked. 

One thing to point out, I know it was a span of a few years, regular season wins displayed some bad flaws with the team. The team was winning some ugly games and they were down played as "it's a win, I'll take it". Got to the playoffs and that didn't work anymore

The Mike Smith Falcons were a team designed to not make mistakes, play very efficiently.  The idea is you'll win the 8 games a year against inferior opponents and get 2 or 3 against superior ones who make mistakes.

It's a good formula for getting into the playoffs but not for winning against winning teams.

I'm hoping this current incarnation has the smart play of a Smith team combined with the dynamic playcalling of a Shanahan.  That could win in both seasons.

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

One thing to point out, I know it was a span of a few years, regular season wins displayed some bad flaws with the team. The team was winning some ugly games and they were down played as "it's a win, I'll take it". Got to the playoffs and that didn't work anymore

Yep. The 2012 team was more "explosive" for sure but they definitely were exploited a lot. The 2010 team actually had identity and won games playing their type of football. The only reason the 2012 team is highly regarded as the best Smitty team ever is because of Julio in the playoffs and falling just short of the SB. But, IMO, I liked the 2010 team much more. 

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yep.  They won close games.  But good teams would clearly shut our run game down, and we were so focused on the run game that we didn't have a great passing game without it.  (Ryan could play, Roddy could play, but not a great passing system).

They were a "play not to lose" team, and that works ok in the regular season.

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yep. The 2012 team was more "explosive" for sure but they definitely were exploited a lot. The 2010 team actually had identity and won games playing their type of football. The only reason the 2012 team is highly regarded as the best Smitty team ever is because of Julio in the playoffs and falling just short of the SB. But, IMO, I liked the 2010 team much more. 

Yeah I prefer the 2010 team based on what you mentioned. The other years were bad. People forget about the Bend But Don't Break approach

1 minute ago, takeitdown said:

Yep.  They won close games.  But good teams would clearly shut our run game down, and we were so focused on the run game that we didn't have a great passing game without it.  (Ryan could play, Roddy could play, but not a great passing system).

They were a "play not to lose" team, and that works ok in the regular season.

Yessir

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yeah I prefer the 2010 team based on what you mentioned. The other years were bad. People forget about the Bend But Don't Break approach

I admit I appreciate Mike Smith much more now than I did when he was here. His teams were always the least penalized in the league. And they had excellent technique all around that was beneficial to the rules. I actually think if he were the head coach of the 2016 team with Shanahan as the OC, that team wins the super bowl. 

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I liked the 2012 team better because BVG was not the defensive coordinator.

They came out hot and won 9 straight games. They also won a game where Ryan threw 5 picks… which is basically impossible.

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I admit I appreciate Mike Smith much more now than I did when he was here. His teams were always the least penalized in the league. And they had excellent technique all around that was beneficial to the rules. I actually think if he were the head coach of the 2016 team with Shanahan as the OC, that team wins the super bowl. 

Never know what you got til it's gone