Kyle Pitts said

Given his size and speed, I would bet he splits out wide a lot more than we think. 

Smith loves his 12 personnel sets, but it's almost always with a blocking TE and receiving TE as to not tip whether it's a pass or run. It's likely we won't see Hurst and Pitts on the field together a whole lot. 

Don't be surprised to see a package with Pitts out wide with Hurst as the receiving TE and Smith as the blocking TE being used a lot. 

I think Pitts can & will be a significant pass catcher from day 1.  He’ll have to do double time on learning every route tree, formation & motion concept so he’s ready.  Ton of studying & work, but he’s the type of guy who’ll do whatever it takes.  He & Ridley are going to be nasty for years to come.  The wonderful thing to consider is that those two will have Gage, Hurst, Davis &  Patterson to keep defensive schemes from selling out to stop them.  

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Back when Dirk’s route combinations was impressive. Once the NFL evolved, seem like Dirk didn’t. Because these past two years his route combinations sucked. And he made no in game adjustments from my eye

Julio had 6 tds in 2019

He had 6 in 2016.

I've had Delanie Walker and Jonnu Smith on fantasy the last 3-4 years and Smith knows how to get TE's the ball in the red zone. Pitts is going to easily surpass Julio's TD output on a per-season basis. I think Pitts could even get to 15-20/yr in his prime. 6'6 240 with 4.4 speed is going to be filthy in the red zone, especially given the guy had 0 drops.

6 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Watch the All 22 from 2016 and from 2019. Stats will never tell the whole story. The All 22 tell everything

The thing with that is it will tell you what you want to see.

2 people can look at the exact same play and come out with wildly different opinions about what happened.

The perfect example of that is one of the plays vs Tampa in game one .

Gage ran a post route and was open  but Ryan lead him just a bit too far and while Gage got his hands on it, it fell incomplete.

Litterally half of the people complained that he dropped it , while the other half complained that Ryan overthrew him.

Depending on what you want to see , you will see it.

12 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

I've had Delanie Walker and Jonnu Smith on fantasy the last 3-4 years and Smith knows how to get TE's the ball in the red zone. Pitts is going to easily surpass Julio's TD output on a per-season basis. I think Pitts could even get to 15-20/yr in his prime. 6'6 240 with 4.4 speed is going to be filthy in the red zone, especially given the guy had 0 drops.

Julio has 60 career TDs in 10 years. Rid already has 26 in 3 years

I think we will be fine if we find another WR to take Julio's spot and just let Pitts abuse defenses from the TE spot in ways no other TE can do.

We don't need to have him running Julio's routes and doing Julio things. Our offense no longer has to have that out of the Julio spot. We need to move on from our 2017 offense and embrace a new identity where we have different expectations from different positions. 

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

The thing with that is it will tell you what you want to see.

2 people can look at the exact same play and come out with wildly different opinions about what happened.

The perfect example of that is one of the plays vs Tampa in game one .

Gage ran a post route and was open  but Ryan lead him just a bit too far and while Gage got his hands on it, it fell incomplete.

Litterally half of the people complained that he dropped it , while the other half complained that Ryan overthrew him.

Depending on what you want to see , you will see it.

That’s true for people that don’t know how to study film. Considering I played I know how to study and breakdown film especially WRs and DBs. The All 22 tells me exactly what I’m seeing. Like my coach use to say “film don’t lie”

One of the other things with that is, you do not know what route the receiver is supposed to run. 

It is easy to say that a route combo looks good or bad  but in an offense where option routes are so prevalent  that sometimes the receiver just simply misread the defense.

The benefit of the option route is that when it is executed right then it makes it incredibly difficult  to defend....the down side is that if the receiver misreads it and goes in when they should go out or vice versa then it can throw everything off.

Sometimes the mistakes are easy to identify, others are far more nuanced than people think.

2 hours ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Given his size and speed, I would bet he splits out wide a lot more than we think. 

Smith loves his 12 personnel sets, but it's almost always with a blocking TE and receiving TE as to not tip whether it's a pass or run. It's likely we won't see Hurst and Pitts on the field together a whole lot. 

Don't be surprised to see a package with Pitts out wide with Hurst as the receiving TE and Smith as the blocking TE being used a lot. 

I think that is what we'll see pretty often. Heck, I've seen Smith run a jet sweep with a TE. I just hope whatever Smith does, his offense keeps defenses off balance. 

6 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

That’s true for people that don’t know how to study film. Considering I played I know how to study and breakdown film especially WRs and DBs. The All 22 tells me exactly what I’m seeing. Like my coach use to say “film don’t lie”

But even if you know how to study film...if you have a bias then you can confirm that...one way or the other.

No one is immune to that.

12 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

Julio has 60 career TDs in 10 years. Rid already has 26 in 3 years

Yep the 60 TDs is the number that jumps out for sure.  As dominant as Julio was for us moving the ball downfield, averaging 6 TDs a year is nowhere near being elite.  In fact, he only hit double digit touchdowns in his 2nd season with 10, never scored more than 8 in the next 8 seasons after that.

I never really watched his highlights before and dear god he's a beast. He high points the ball with his crazy 6'6 height and wingspan. Honestly, his highlights remind me a lot of Julio. Here's what impresses me the most:

• Overall strength - He's being interfered with, double or triple teamed in a lot of these and still makes the catch in crazy traffic.
  • Hand strength/catching - Catches the ball whether he has 0, 1 or 2 guys draped on him, and easily outjumps anyone.
  • High pointing/jump timing - He consistently times his jumps perfectly and catches passes in all sorts of coverages.
  • Route running - good routes, separates easily, sharp cuts without losing speed at his height.

He honestly kinda reminds me if Julio and prime Jimmy Graham fused together.

6 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

I think we will be fine if we find another WR to take Julio's spot and just let Pitts abuse defenses from the TE spot in ways no other TE can do.

We don't need to have him running Julio's routes and doing Julio things. Our offense no longer has to have that out of the Julio spot. We need to move on from our 2017 offense and embrace a new identity where we have different expectations from different positions. 

I think Darby can do some of that. He's no Julio, and doesn't have long speed,, but somehow he's known as a deep threat averaging over 21 yards per catch except one year when he was injured.

On a one per one basis, he can't match Julio, but he can catch, out-muscles opponents for the ball, beats them at the line, and I think both he and Gage will put up some good combined numbers with Pitts and Ridley taking the coverage. Ridley, Hurst and CP and Davis will get theirs too in the passing game. MR should be spreading it around again this year.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Slow down, sir.  I love me some Kyle Pitts, but I don't want him getting out ahead of his skis.

I want to agree but being a former athlete myself confidence is everything. its when you get to a point where your not doing the things to get better but i dont see that in pitts.that isn't in reference to juilo though.confidence and arrogance are different things.

1 hour ago, dirtybirds233 said:

I am really interested to see how Hurst performs in this offense - even though he's not TE1 anymore. I really like the idea of him and Pitts on the field at the same time. That's a lot of speed to cover out of the TE position, don't know if there's a lot of defenses that you can call against that kind of situation. Interested to see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Let’s go. Already love this dude. None of that “Awh I wish I could’ve learned from him”. Give me that “don’t need him, I’m here now”

Agreed and I hate that ISH, also - everyone wants the star player to mentor the rooks - and it's a nice perk but get sick of how it gets overexaggerated