So what WR do we draft in 2022?

Just now, 4dabirds said:

I’d rather see the Falcons get more playmakers on the defensive side of the ball, than trying to find another WR in an attempt to match Julio’s production. Julio is a generational talent, but we learned that you can win big and lose big with a marquee receiver; you can also allot a huge amount of your cap space on such a player, and leave yourself too thin in many other areas. If WR is BPA when your pick is called, then yes, but this team needs to be able to benefit from a their defense instead of it always being a liability.

I think WR will take care of itself with BPA mindset.  We need defensive play makers.

I don't know... but he better be able to throw the ball 50 yards into a trash can, read coverages and set offensive line protection schemes... and then maybe be able to run a route or two

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

He said why in his post. Offense runs through the run game and TEs so unless we move on from Ridley ASAP, or the value is great, it doesn't make sense to prioritize WR

1 hour ago, slick0ne said:

Keep stacking the defense and draft a stud at RB 

1 hour ago, Xfactor said:

Agree with KOG they valued Pitts over Chase, Waddle and Smith. I think Coach Smith believes we have the weapons.
Knowing we were going to lose Jones and still took Pitts over Chase that says a lot.
BPA at its finest and will do it again next year.

This team has almost always been strongest at receiver. Maybe it's time we go another way. I am excited about the new approach. It hurts to say goodbye to Julio, one of my favorite Falcons of all time, but it may be time to move away from the "stud" WR mentality when they are more "dime a dozen" than RBs have ever been 

Ridley and Gage are legitimate #1 and #2 WRs. I see team-friendly extensions coming for both of those dudes... if they're willing. That said, college players I will be keeping an eye on include Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave, both at Ohio State, George Pickens at Georgia, Joe Ngata and Justyn Ross at Clemson, Treylon Burks at Arkansas, and Drake London at USC. And of course, all SEC WRs. It's early, but those are my initial thoughts. 

Y’all gotta get over this “we’re gonna target this position in these rounds” mentality. That’s the old way. 

The correct answer is “whichever one is clearly better than anyone else on our board at that pick.” They might (or might not) want a WR early. But I bet they’d have liked a RB in this draft too, but they valued the best safety over the 3rd best RB, so we traded back and took the safety. 

This group is different. We fill holes in free agency. We’re stockpiling talent in the draft. So the right guy falls to us or we aren’t taking a WR. 

7 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Y’all gotta get over this “we’re gonna target this position in these rounds” mentality. That’s the old way. 

The correct answer is “whichever one is clearly better than anyone else on our board at that pick.” They might (or might not) want a WR early. But I bet they’d have liked a RB in this draft too, but they valued the best safety over the 3rd best RB, so we traded back and took the safety. 

This group is different. We fill holes in free agency. We’re stockpiling talent in the draft. So the right guy falls to us or we aren’t taking a WR. 

Yep. This. 

16 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

This team has almost always been strongest at receiver. Maybe it's time we go another way. I am excited about the new approach. It hurts to say goodbye to Julio, one of my favorite Falcons of all time, but it may be time to move away from the "stud" WR mentality when they are more "dime a dozen" than RBs have ever been 

Seattle had this mindset for years, as did Baltimore.  Build that D, get a great RB and run a balanced team.

13 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Nailed it.  We have to kill this defeatist and proven to be wrong mindset.  TF is sticking to his word.  

You realize the Chiefs won a Super Bowl in a situation similar to ours, obviously Tyreek is one of the best in the league and Kelce is a monster, but the rest of the receiving group they had isn't anything special at all. Build up a defense and let the rest come together. 

8 minutes ago, TheHeartless said:

You realize the Chiefs won a Super Bowl in a situation similar to ours, obviously Tyreek is one of the best in the league and Kelce is a monster, but the rest of the receiving group they had isn't anything special at all. Build up a defense and let the rest come together. 

Of course Mahomes at his best is at another level than what Ryan was ever capable of and currently capable. 

The template now should be the Peyton Manning Broncos. 

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

Under valued take.  We have to blow up our old mindset and adherence to doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result.  

48 minutes ago, TheHeartless said:

The receivers aren’t anything special, but it’s not like the chiefs didn’t spend resources trying to get their WRs. Watkins was one of the highest paid WRs and honestly probably one of the guys that made Julio go “this ************** getting paid more than me?!” lol. Hardman was a second round pick. The only thing is those guys are either one trick ponies or in Watkins case, typically subpar. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheHeartless said:

And the Chiefs LOST a Super Bowl in part because the Bucs took Hill/Kelce off the board and nobody else could make a play. Their OL was dreadful, but Mahomes would scramble for 15 seconds and still nobody could get open. 

Meanwhile, Tampa's WR core was 5-6 deep with quality receivers. 

I get that people are still in their feelings, but acting as if drafting any WR in the first 2 days would be a bad pick is ridiculous.

Edited by The Real Tony G.

3 hours ago, The Real Tony G. said:

And the Chiefs LOST a Super Bowl in part because the Bucs took Hill/Kelce off the board and nobody else could make a play. Their OL was dreadful, but Mahomes would scramble for 15 seconds and still nobody could get open. 

Meanwhile, Tampa's WR core was 5-6 deep with quality receivers. 

I get that people are still in their feelings, but acting as if drafting any WR in the first 2 days would be a bad pick is ridiculous.

The Chiefs lost because they had no OTs and Mahomes had turf toe. Please don't rewrite history

Just keep adding football players. Long career guys. Regardless of position. By 2023 this team will be completely rebuilding. There may only be a handful of guys beyond this draft class that are still around