Top Remaining Free Agents Falcons Should Consider

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Houston and/or Casey.

15 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Correct answer.  There is a reason these guys are still available.  Bide our time.

16 hours ago, etherdome said:

I am not so sure that I would sign anyone on that list.  There is time to make these decisions.  I would wait for teams to make their cuts before I consider adding anyone else.  

We need to be savvy shoppers.  

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

We could really use a veteran like Richard Sherman on our secondary.

I believe the Falcons should have a few guidelines as to who they might sign.   For one thing, whoever we sign should get a two year deal, then be able to play at a high level for those two years.   I am thinking the Falcons will be more competitive next year, plus I do not want to see so many players in the last year of thier contracts.   We had too many of those after last season (21), and we already have too many expiring contracts on our roster now.  So really old players, like Sherman,  should not be signed.

While I'm all for signing good players at whatever positions, I think the focus should be on positions where we are week, like NT, LG, Pass Rusher and CB plus backup QB.  We could use new players or upgrades in all five positions.

You notice I left out WR?  In 2016 the Falcons had six WRs and five TEs play in the 8th most prolific offense in NFL history.  Of those eleven players, only four were drafted by the Falcons, two of -those- were WRs.  Since 2016 the NFL has been flooded with quality WRs, which is one reason the Falcons were lowballed in the Julio trade.

Edited by egoprime II

26 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

Because of the connection to the coaching staff I see Jabaal Sheard. The connection to TF is Alex Okafor. I’ll throw in Justin Houston.

I think that is really the key.

What is left out there that have connections to the new staff/FO.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Jurrell Casey and Kamalei Correa both make sense because they both played under Pees in Tennessee. Steven Nelson makes sense if they don't like what they see in camp out of the secondary. We will see what the Falcons do with the money they have left.

Casey and Correa should be able to be had at a relatively low price/maybe vet minimum. If so, both would be solid additions no doubt. Cuts will bring more options for sure, but getting a vet NT in Casey could make a big difference. If I'm TFont I'm already talking to his agent with the recently freed up cap space. If anything to get an idea

1 minute ago, Foo Falcons said:

Casey and Correa should be able to be had at a relatively low price/maybe vet minimum. If so, both would be solid additions no doubt. Cuts will bring more options for sure, but getting a vet NT in Casey could make a big difference. If I'm TFont I'm already talking to his agent with the recently freed up cap space. If anything to get an idea

Yeah, he's definitely the one no brainer that's out there. I just looked it up, and Correa is apparently signed with the Chiefs, but there are still other viable options out there.

2 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Give me Trai Turner

He hasn't played more than 13 games in each of the last four seasons which is an issue as an OLineman. When healthy he's definitely serviceable if not more so, but that's the caveat with him. I wouldn't be opposed to a one year prove it deal 

3 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Yeah, he's definitely the one no brainer that's out there. I just looked it up, and Correa is apparently signed with the Chiefs, but there are still other viable options out there.

He signed with them but was cut not long after. Is that a red flag? Potentially. But he's familiar with Pees obviously and could be a solid veteran backup. 

10 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Matt Bryant 

Joking aside let's give Koo a chance at some clutch kicks this year and see if he's a long term solution. It's possible, but Matt Bryant goes down in history no question. Morten Anderson lost me with being inducted with the Taints in the HOF. Might not have been his decision but still!

Just now, Foo Falcons said:

Joking aside let's give Koo a chance at some clutch kicks this year and see if he's a long term solution. It's possible, but Matt Bryant goes down in history no question. Morten Anderson lost me with being inducted with the Taints in the HOF. Might not have been his decision but still!

I know.  

I just cant let go of the great Bryant hysteria back when we let him go.

21 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I know.  

I just cant let go of the great Bryant hysteria back when we let him go.

I feel you. And to bring him back mid way through the season was hilarious. The Chicago kick is the first memory I have but man he never failed sealing wins

On 6/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, Foo Falcons said:

The following are some of the positions I feel we could add to. I included the top guys at their respective position. Like most of us, I'd love to sign Houston. Bringing in a veteran to compete with McGary is a possibility. Adding more CB depth would be nice as well. Who do yall think we could realistically see in a Falcons uniform this year now that we have around $8.5 million following the Julio trade and after signing the draft class reportedly?

Source: https://nfltraderumors.co/top-50-2021-nfl-free-agents/

Edge:

Justin Houston

Melvin Ingram

Olivier Vernon

Everson Griffin

Trent Murphy 

Kamalei Correa

Adrian Clayborn

Jabaal Sheard

DT:

Sheldon Richardson

Jurrell Casey

Geno Atkins

PJ Hall

CB:

Steven Nelson

Brian Poole

Richard Sherman

Nickell Roby-Coleman

Gareon Conley

Prince Amukamara

S:

Malik Hooker

Tre Boston

Kenny Vacaro

OT

Morgan Moses

Mitchell Schwartz

Russell Okung

Ricky Wagner

G/C

Austin Reiter

Trai Turner

Who will take a 1 year deal? Those guys 

13 minutes ago, Akod2017 said:

Who will take a 1 year deal? Those guys 

Some of them very well could. Guys that are towards the end if their career but want one last rodeo. Houston, Vernon, Griffin, Clayborn, Sheard for instance. All have a decent shot at decent playing time and furthering ther value next off season