So he's gone, who "tries" to take his place?

3 hours ago, Falc_Fan_Since_Six said:

Obviously Ridley is now our #1, he was last year when Julio was out. What are peoples thoughts on who gets the spot on the WR roster? A guy we already have or do they go look for someone on the cheap?

I vote for Ridley, Pitts, Gage, Hurst and Davis. Plenty enough receiving options. Just need to run the dam ball.

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

I think this bodes well for Hurst’s future. The 2 TE package will be more important for us now. Also am X factor could be Patterson. Rid as wr 1, gage #2, a fight for #3 between Darby and Patterson and of course the 2 TE’s. We’ll still have a dangerous offense. Especially if the run game is effective. We did lose the fear factor tho. Right now there’s nothing that strikes fear in opposing defenses. They respect Rid but he’ll have to prove that he can command those doubles, triples, and brackets. When he does that the sky will open for this offense. Especially when pitts puts it together. 

Yeah was saying the same about Hurst.  Surprised they didn’t pick up his 5th year knowing Julio was gonna be traded.  

1 hour ago, Draftnut57 said:

When you are tempted to miss JJ ,, just think about Kyle Pitts.. and you'll get well immediately .  It's hard to believe again.. JJ is teaming back up with " RB Brian Hill " As I said before ,, Glad that the Titians are my second team.. These two players makes me even a stronger fan than before ... Nice!   The only time I will not root for either player will be when they are playing the Falcons.

The Falcons as a team improved today... The Titans got a dynamic part-time between the 20s WR. 

3 hours ago, PensacolaFalcon said:

I don't think one player can replace Julio even if there was one player out there that could replace him the Flacons couldn't afford him. 

However we might be able to replicate him in the aggregate we need to find 3 players that caught 17 passes for 257 yards and 1 touch down last year.... 

I agree.  Julio is bound for the HOF.  He is the best WR of his time.  We will not replace him with one WR.

However, the scheme and philosophy will change drastically.  We will be truly spreading the wealth among several play-makers.  Calvin, Pitts, Hurst and Davis will likely get the majority of touches, but Gage will also chime in and produce.  In aggregate, I believe we will see an up tick in yards gained and TD's scored.  

49 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Honestly I said we should’ve traded him two years ago 

It was a tough situation with him being a falcon icon. From a purely football perspective I agree completely. But we know blank has a say and alot if it comes to  $$$$$ for the franchise. 

With his injury history and how expensive he was, I was thinking that contract could come and bite us. It also left  a sour taste when he started holding out after 2 years of his initial contract

You don't replace Julio. You adjust your scheme for his absence. If you try to plug in the next guy up...yea...good luck with that.

We are fortunate this is happing along with scheme adjustments and a new coaching staff. In the long run, it will be a good thing that we are getting a coaching staff that hasn't been attached to Julio for years. They will be able to see what we have an not what is missing. 

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

JJ is not the player he used to be.. if he was , we would not have gotten Pitts who is 6'6" , 235 lbs. If you think JJ  can out play Pitts now,, You are dreaming.. But hey,, I was JJs. biggest fan for years.. and I still wish him the best on my second team , The Titans ,,  I've now got two players on the Titians that I'm a fan of Jones and Hill. I'll root for them in every game except when they are playing us , the Falcons...  How ya like me now? :golfclap:

I’m dreaming that a guy with a hall of fame career still playing at a very high level can outperform a guy with a very high ceiling but yet to play a snap in the NFL?  Thought you only had awful takes during draft season, didn’t know it carried into OTA’s and training camp as well. 😂

9 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Honestly I said we should’ve traded him two years ago 

I was on the band wagon for this as well.  And I think the fact we gave up the ranch to get him and that the team was terrified he'd come back and annihilate us made them kowtow to his new contract demands.  

No one tries to take his place, this offense has to have a completely new identity. Probably gonna be a down year all across the board for our offense. Ridley will get all the attention on his side and all our other WR's are 3rd string players at best. This will be a run heavy, dink and dunk offense 

5 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

No one tries to take his place, this offense has to have a completely new identity. Probably gonna be a down year all across the board for our offense. Ridley will get all the attention on his side and all our other WR's are 3rd string players at best. This will be a run heavy, dink and dunk offense 

And it will.  AS has said from day one, you scheme for the players you have, not try and shoe horn players into a scheme they aren't right for.

10 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I vote for Ridley, Pitts, Gage, Hurst and Davis. Plenty enough receiving options. Just need to run the dam ball.

Not drafting a RB2 was the one thing I was surprised from this draft. I don’t see Davis a bell-cow over the course of a full season, and I don’t really see Patterson as anything more than a gadget. 

41 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Not drafting a RB2 was the one thing I was surprised from this draft. I don’t see Davis a bell-cow over the course of a full season, and I don’t really see Patterson as anything more than a gadget. 

Same, but there is also some competition with UDFAs Hawkins and Huntley. 

10 hours ago, Rings said:

I’m dreaming that a guy with a hall of fame career still playing at a very high level can outperform a guy with a very high ceiling but yet to play a snap in the NFL?  Thought you only had awful takes during draft season, didn’t know it carried into OTA’s and training camp as well. 😂

Oh,, so your an undercover  Titians fan . I'm a Falcon Fan.. And you go around putting the fans down for their take on what they believe.. , It's very obvious you only want to put fans down to try and make yourself look better than they are .. You sure don't deserve to be a Moderator .  

16 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I love Kyle Pitts,, he will easily replace JJ. Ridley is our best WR now.. I see the glass half full. Not half empty.  The great draft and FAs picked up over rides the JJ saga by a long shot. This team now is the best all around Falcon team ever assembled.  Bank on it, you'll see.

You say this every year.  I’m hoping your right.

4 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

2 TE sets (Hurst or Pitts + Blocking TE) with Patterson, Gage, Ridley at WR and Davis in the backfield. 

Looks solid to me.  I think our running game will be much stronger, allowing balance.  We really didn't take a huge step back by subtracting Julio.  He will be missed, but it just means more balls for the other guys.

15 hours ago, Slumerican said:

I really hope they dont ride Pitts too hard too soon.. Give the man time to develop and Ryan wont be his qb his entire career.. Allow Pitts time to adjust to the league and build a relationship with whoever takes over for Ryan.. 2 to 3 years from now we should be able to compete 

Ride too hard?  The very first draft of Smith and he passed on franchise quarterbacks AND got rid of Julio. They gonna ride Pitts until the wheels come off of that dude.  The reputation of the whole Falcon franchise is riding on how Pitts plays...