We need to extend Matt Ryan, Grady Jarrett and Deion Jones next off season?

29 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

Yeah, I think that we had no real options but to restructure Ryan. They knew Julio was out after June 1, they also know that Jarrett would not restructure...I mean what else could they have done?

Not a lot unfortunately. 

36 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

We control his rights for 2 seasons and could franchise a 3rd. I hope not.

I hope we don’t franchise him. Tag would be stupid high. If he is still playing at a high level we might as well extend him. He only signed a 4 year contract 

25 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Not if we draft his replacement next year.  

Maybe. That leaves us with Pitts and hopefully one very good second year WR as our main passing options. Feels like we're bound to get stuck between a rebuild and contending very soon. I hope not but time will tell. 

I don't see our GM or HC having any ambitions at all on extending Ryan.. Honestly you'll see Ryan is gone soon as we have a window to let him go.. Idk if Ryan will end up as a backup for another organization or if he may find a team desperate for a qb.. But either way, Ryans days as a Falcon are definitely coming to a close 

Yeah Matt's probably not getting extended. If he does, it's not gonna be another big pay day like top 5 AAV. I think we let him walk just so we can start looking for his replacement, and that's if we haven't found him by then.

53 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

But it makes no business sense from his POV to sign an extension right now

I'm looking at it from the Falcons pov. From a player perspective, security in case of injury, perhaps some semblence of loyalty. Not saying he's going to be uber cheap, rather cheaper than if we wait and he balls out

1 minute ago, Mister pudding said:

I'm looking at it from the Falcons pov. From a player perspective, security in case of injury, perhaps some semblence of loyalty. Not saying he's going to be uber cheap, rather cheaper than if we wait and he balls out

Players have a loyalty to themselves first and foremost. They should do whatever is best for themselves just like teams should do what’s best for the organization 

39 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

I don't see our GM or HC having any ambitions at all on extending Ryan.. Honestly you'll see Ryan is gone soon as we have a window to let him go.. Idk if Ryan will end up as a backup for another organization or if he may find a team desperate for a qb.. But either way, Ryans days as a Falcon are definitely coming to a close 

Yeah, he will never settle to be a backup. He has made a ton of money. No reason to do that 

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

We got to make sure we keep our top guys. We can't afford to lose another one. Matt, Grady and Deion are a very important part of this team.

Ryan is already 36! Forget extending him! You better start looking for his replacement! And the Falcons missed already!

20 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Players have a loyalty to themselves first and foremost. They should do whatever is best for themselves just like teams should do what’s best for the organization 

My thought was "try" and sign him long term before he balls out or lose him forever. 

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

We got to make sure we keep our top guys. We can't afford to lose another one. Matt, Grady and Deion are a very important part of this team.

Dude, did you forget who Ryan’s agent is?

There isn’t going to be any discount and he will try to fleece the Falcons for max dollars on the contract.

if he thinks he can get Ryan more money elsewhere he’ll push his client in that direction.

A Matt Ryan extension isn’t going to be an easy thing because his agent will want the moon and the Falcons would be insane to pay a 37 year old QB like he’s Tom Brady and winning multiple SuperBowls with different teams.

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

If that was true Ryan wouldn’t have got his contract restructured and we would have took a QB at 4

Question but if they didn’t extend Ryan how else could they have gotten under the cap?

Cutting/trading him wouldn’t have really helped that much as far as cap hit.

Restructuring/extending Grady wouldn’t have been enough to get the Falcons under the cap. And getting under the cap with a Ryan restructure still required trading Julio.

So in addition to trading Julio and extending Grady what other players do you get rid of to get under the cap without restructuring Ryan?

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Question but if they didn’t extend Ryan how else could they have gotten under the cap?

Cutting/trading him wouldn’t have really helped that much as far as cap hit.

Restructuring/extending Grady wouldn’t have been enough to get the Falcons under the cap. And getting under the cap with a Ryan restructure still required trading Julio.

So in addition to trading Julio and extending Grady what other players do you get rid of to get under the cap without restructuring Ryan?

None of that matters because the FO want Ryan. If they didn’t I promise they would have figured out how.

Rebuilding is a term I see a lot around here. In all honesty, every good team is in a constant state of rebuild. There are good to great players coming into the league every year and this team is not looking at making anyone a "falcon for life". Those days are over and good riddance. They will pay market value for whoever they deem as productive parts of this team and others will be replaced. That's the way any good sports organization is run and it's not a rebuild; just sound business practice.

4 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Yeah, he will never settle to be a backup. He has made a ton of money. No reason to do that 

I honestly wouldn't mind signing Ryan to a backup role in 23 if we have a stable replacement for him at that time.. I just don't believe Ryan will stay in the league after his current contract is done.. Ryan isn't hurting for money and hes smart enough to know when its time to go.. Maybe at least bring Ryan back as a qb coach, i really believe thats where his real value is.. Ryan is extremely smart, he's just never had the athletic ability to excel 

4 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

I honestly wouldn't mind signing Ryan to a backup role in 23 if we have a stable replacement for him at that time.. I just don't believe Ryan will stay in the league after his current contract is done.. Ryan isn't hurting for money and hes smart enough to know when its time to go.. Maybe at least bring Ryan back as a qb coach, i really believe thats where his real value is.. Ryan is extremely smart, he's just never had the athletic ability to excel 

By this comment I assume you are saying he “couldn’t excel” because he doesn’t run fast? I can only imagine the performance expectations for a guy to “excel”, since he has has already won a league MVP and holds NFL records. Not bad for a guy who can’t excel because he isn’t athletic enough.

8 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

He is under contract for 2023. I’m guessing you mean 2024. I don’t see that happening unless he falls off a cliff between now and 2024