The Julio is traded thread

Julio is now gone after requesting for a trade. Maybe in the future, we will get more clarity as to what conversations preceded the request. Did we ask him to take a pay cut or was it something more simple like no special treatment for Julio?  

But one thing that still bothers me is, did we approach Grady for a restructure/extension? if we did and he turned us down, then that might indicate a problem next off season when we might need to extend him and Ridley.

11 minutes ago, RYNE said:

How’s that salary cap situation now? Is it still fake? Remember? 

Falcons have 7.5 million dead cap this year and 15.5 million next year for Julio. 

The titans are responsible for everything except the 7.5 million this yr.

Just now, jidady said:

The 6th/4th part of the deal is savvy. That's a difference of like 80 spots in the draft due to compensatory picks. You can still easily find starters in the early 100s.

yeah this makes 2nd trade for Fontenot in 40 days where he has upgraded a pick in a trade swap - like this pattern - my guess is he will use it often.   The team on the other end wants something immediate and Fontenot willing to move down to move another pick up for a better shot at achieving a top target.

I like it!

Let’s be realistic.

Could the Falcons have received more? Maybe but no one was giving more. This was about cap relief and removing a grumpy Gus from the team. Now the new guys can prepare for the future and focus on winning. Also it opens things up for Pitts to not have to sit in Julio’s shadow. While it would have been great to see them on the field at the same time, it might be best to not stunt Pitts growth just to make Julio happy.

Matt’s probably bummed but he’s also a team player. He’s gonna be fine. Best to not have a player who openly questions the QB out there.

1 minute ago, Slumerican said:

If it was a early second i could even accept that.. But what are we actually getting with a late second?? Definitely not a HOF player at any position.. Cherrs to the Titans.. AS must have owed them one

How do you know it won't be an early second? Tannehill could tear his ACL game 1......

I think this is a difficult trade to evaluate. I'm confident we had better offers before the draft. However, we would have lost $15 million in cap space that way. So, part of the value here will depend on what we do with that cap space now.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Honestly... Can't ask for more than that. Good deal for both sides. We get both short term and long term cap relief and the Titans push all their chips in the middle of the table thinking Julio was the missing piece from a championship team. 

Hopefully losing their Offensive Coordinator in the off season doesn't impact them being contenders... But that NEVER happens... right? 

Edited by ramonezy

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah if I had to listen to Florio for one more day talk about how terrible a bargaining position the Falcons were in I was going to shoot myself.

if you go by all he said about how terrible position Fontenot was in, you would have to say Fontenot did well - he only got a 2nd rounder but ate no money plus got an upgraded pick in 2023 kicker.  Not terrible fer sure.

I continue to be very impressed with our new GM.

3 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Julio wasn't garbage at all.. Imo, this was a result from covid and what happened to the cap.. Without covid, we would/should have gotten much more 

Without the shutdown the cap goes up and he probably stays but it still hides the fact that he was unhappy in ATL. Get rid of the unhappy ones. New regime doesn’t need them.

19 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

People will get outta their feelings at some point. He’s a great receiver and did well for us but he is not what he used to be. We got a good deal here

It's possible to be thankful for what Julio has brought to the team over the last 10 years and also happy that we have been compensated for a injury prone receiver on the wrong side of 30 who didn't want to be a Falcon, which also allows us to free up space to sign out future and frees up space next year.

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

Let’s be realistic.

Could the Falcons have received more? Maybe but no one was giving more. This was about cap relief and removing a grumpy Gus from the team. Now the new guys can prepare for the future and focus on winning. Also it opens things up for Pitts to not have to sit in Julio’s shadow. While it would have been great to see them on the field at the same time, it might be best to not stunt Pitts growth just to make Julio happy.

Matt’s probably bummed but he’s also a team player. He’s gonna be fine. Best to not have a player who openly questions the QB out there.

Pitts is gonna have a lot of pressure to perform this year. Fans were already placing unrealistic expectations for him before the Julio trade. 

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

How do you know it won't be an early second? Tannehill could tear his ACL game 1......

I dont 100%, but all odds tend to agree Titans will be a SB contender this season without a total collapse.. Even if Julio is injured early, i still believe Titans will have a good season 

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

Pitts is gonna have a lot of pressure to perform this year. Fans were already placing unrealistic expectations for him before the Julio trade. 

Pressure that should have never been a thing imo. But it happened so here we arr

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

For sure. But he seems up to the challenge. He’s got a good head on his shoulders and this offense isn’t like a Koehler offense. It doesn’t need one person to do all the heavy lifting.

Wow Julio went to a team with as much volatility as the Titans? It’s not hard to imagine them missing the playoffs at all with that defense and them losing Arthur 

Julio really has some beef with the Falcons or just wants that last payday 

Just now, mattyicefalcon said:

Falcons..failed yet again!@

They could have got better deal prior draft. 

Just dont get this deal....anyone has real information on what Falcons got in return besides 2nd rounder??

We could not move him before the draft due to salary cap issues. We had to do it after 6/1. Have you not been paying attention?