The Julio is traded thread

Just now, falconsFTW said:

This is good in theory but a team has to really be consistently drafting well to make this sustainable.  Even one draft that's a complete disaster will sink this pretty hard.  

I get your point, but one year should not be a difference maker.

23 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I've said it before, in this thread or the pre trade thread, that good teams are in constant rebuild/reload. Qb's and good OL are the only players with stability and long life with most GOOD teams. You occasionally see the rare LB or CB who is retained on exorbitant long term deals, but good (not all-pro, HOF) WR'S come out every year. Scheme makes them productive but also expendible. A WR is not going to win you a sb but your franchise QB and OL can.

Absolutely 110% agree. Super Bowl winning teams don't pay huge money to wide receivers. Wide receiver is maybe the easiest position to find guys that can make an impact. Rookie wide receivers come into the NFL every year and make an immediate impact. If you're sacrificing things like offensive or defensive line in favor of paying big money to wide receivers you're doing it wrong.

I said all that to make a point, the Falcons shouldn't pay big money to keep Calvin Ridley long-term. If I'm the Falcons I draft two wide receivers high in the draft in 2022 and let Ridley walk after the 2022 season.

19 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

That wasn't a limp, he was merely shifting the weight of the bag he's carrying all that Tennessee cash in...

Does make you wonder if he is still dealing with his hamstring injury.. He definitely wasn't walking smoothly 

20 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

That wasn't a limp, he was merely shifting the weight of the bag he's carrying all that Tennessee cash in...

Wonder what will transpire if Julio does fail his physical.. Will he come back to Atlanta?? 

4 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Absolutely 110% agree. Super Bowl winning teams don't pay huge money to wide receivers. Wide receiver is maybe the easiest position to find guys that can make an impact. Rookie wide receivers come into the NFL every year and make an immediate impact. If you're sacrificing things like offensive or defensive line in favor of paying big money to wide receivers you're doing it wrong.

I said all that to make a point, the Falcons shouldn't pay big money to keep Calvin Ridley long-term. If I'm the Falcons I draft two wide receivers high in the draft in 2022 and let Ridley walk after the 2022 season.

Or go get some serviceable free agents.  WR is a position where a handful of really good guys are often a lot better than one great guy.  Especially if you have a RB and TE already, and a QB.  A good QB will elevate good WRs.  Great WRs will not elevate any other member of the team.

Except Calvin Johnson.  It isn't that he made Reggie Ball look good, it's just that no other WR would have caught this pass.

https://youtu.be/sdH5va2IA1I

1 minute ago, Slumerican said:

Does make you wonder if he is still dealing with his hamstring injury.. He definitely wasn't walking smoothly 

What happens if he fails the physical?

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

So you didn't just come out and say it, but basically you said the Falcons are doing it wrong.. And im not disagreeing at all.. Just nice to finally hear that form ya

3 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

So you didn't just come out and say it, but basically you said the Falcons are doing it wrong.. And im not disagreeing at all.. Just nice to finally hear that form ya

I've believed it for a while. As excited as I was about the Julio trade in 2011 I've said for years it was the wrong move. I believe the Falcons were building something special under Mike Smith and Arthur Blank screwed it up.

11 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I've believed it for a while. As excited as I was about the Julio trade in 2011 I've said for years it was the wrong move. I believe the Falcons were building something special under Mike Smith and Arthur Blank screwed it up.

Do we win a super bowl if we traded up for JJ Watt instead? Purely hypothetical obviously. Exact same trade but we take Watt instead of Julio. What happens?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

The falcons have done it wrong in the past. Freeman, trufant, julio, beasley all good examples. New sheriff's in town now. The ship should be righted.

....wanted to add.. 2019 julio extension should never have happened.

Edited by Williamb
Addition

47 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Do we win a super bowl if we traded up for JJ Watt instead? Purely hypothetical obviously. Exact same trade but we take Watt instead of Julio. What happens?

I can't answer that question. No one can. But the Falcons have gone about building a team wrong for ages.

10 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Honestly the hardest thing for me to process in this whole spiel is what is going on w/ Julio. 

He supposedly wants to "be on a contender" and have a "QB with a strong arm and deep ball"... then he makes an a$$ out of himself and the Falcons by putting his laundry out there... and ends up on the Titans (at best a lateral move... more than likely a bad move). 

I'm not sure what he's happy about in this situation. I'd be pissed.  

Come on man ...no way you're saying   the Falcons are as good or better than the Titans. Let's keep it real please.

5 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1221 said:

Come on man ...no way you're saying   the Falcons are as good or better than the Titans. Let's keep it real please.

They're actually the AFC version of us. All offense, no pass rush, comically bad on defense. The primary difference is that they're in a weak division while we're in the strongest one.

6 minutes ago, jidady said:

They're actually the AFC version of us. All offense, no pass rush, comically bad on defense. The primary difference is that they're in a weak division while we're in the strongest one.

Bro, have you not watched Derrick Henry play?? No way its ok to compare the Falcons to the Titans.. Id take Henry over 2 Julio's and a Kyle Pitts.. That guy is a beast 

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Lol yeah getting their ***** kicked in the playoffs is what they were building. 

14 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Bro, have you not watched Derrick Henry play?? No way its ok to compare the Falcons to the Titans.. Id take Henry over 2 Julio's and a Kyle Pitts.. That guy is a beast 

And what exactly have they won? Just like the Falcons,absolutely nothing. And until the Chiefs or Bills fall off a cliff they will continue to win nothing 

6 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

And what exactly have they won? Just like the Falcons,absolutely nothing. And until the Chiefs or Bills fall off a cliff they will continue to win nothing 

More importantly, Smith was their secret sauce. He made Corey Davis look like a player last season. And they were 20th in SOS last year, whereas we tied for #5. Somehow, they still gave up 25 points more than us. Given how bad we were on defense, I don't even know how that's possible.

The Titans are comically one-dimensional, but it's a VERY fun dimension.