The Julio is traded thread

This right here is why I just despise this clown:

"When you give away Julio Jones so you have cap space to sign rookies (and don't get me started on the Falcons' draft record the last five years or so), yeah, you are rebuilding. But doing it half-assed, backwards, the wrong way."

So he blames the prior regime for drafting poorly, and blames the current regime for moving on from Julio, who requested a trade, and pretends the only reason we traded Julio is because we need cap space.  No mention of Julio requesting the trade BECAUSE OF how the prior regime handled him and his money.  No mention of the fact that we fired the prior regime in part because their drafts were horribly laughable.  No mention of the fact that we fired the coach because we lost a bunch of games we should have won.

No, he has a narrative, and he's not going to let facts get in the way of it.  He's a liar, a charlatan, and a fool.  He is not worthy of your attention.

Snippets:

" Oh, poor Falcons fans, I weep for thee.

Not because of the Julio Jones trade; as we have been telling you in this space for months, that was all they were ever going to get in a $15M salary dump. Nah, the real problem is that Jones is the only meaningful – or quasi-meaningful – trade that the perpetually middling franchise has made. The problem is that Matt Ryan isn't gone, too, and it's compounded by the last three trade deadlines in which management was maleficent in its dereliction of duty to retool for the future and deal aging players on bloated contracts while they still could. So they end up dealing arguably the most impactful player in the history of the franchise and surefire first-ballot Hall of Famer for effectively what the Falcons themselves gave to Baltimore a year ago for the right to take backup tight end Hayden Hurst off their hands.

Yeah, it really is that bad. 

"Thus they find themselves with a rookie head coach and a rookie general manager tasked with trading their best player, for what would never be much more than a second-round pick (and never any chance of a first-rounder despite what was being spewed elsewhere), while still having a physically-limited 36-year old quarterback bound to the club despite being in wonderful position to draft one fourth-overall (and cutting Ryan in 2022 now carries a $40M cap hit; cap management hasn't really been their thing, constantly pushing more guaranteed money into the future)."

31 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Hate to say it, because I don't really like to criticize someone else's perspective, but this is a dumb take... that easily unravels if someone asks a single question... "How long should a rebuild take?"

I think I missed the mass announcement that stated a rebuild must be done in a single off-season and also the one that says that you should strip your team of any talent over 30 immediately or else you're not "rebuilding". I may have to go dark on sports media for like a week until this trade blows over cuz it's frustrating to hear crap hot takes

I would love for him to get started on the draft picks the last 5 years.....not that he would have any sort of actual intelligence about it but over the last 6 drafts prior to 2021 

The Falcons drafted notable players such as Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones, Austin Hooper, Devandre Campbell,Keanu Neal, Calvin Ridley, Russel Gage, Chris Lindstrom, and several others who are either starters or contributors for the falcons or other NFL teams. (McGary, Terrell as near locks for starters for us along with a guy like Mykle Walker who showed promise, Kazee who may start for Dallas)

So yeah if he actually looked at the sheer number of guys that the Falcons drafted in that time frame and look just how many are still in the NFL....let's just say the draft record would be alot better than he would want to admit.

Let's put it this way .....as bad as people think that the 2017 draft class was, every one of them... every single player from our draft is still on an NFL roster as of this writing....some will be cut and may not play a snap but the fact is that every one of them is on a roster 6 years later says something.

But that would require him to be somewhat objective ...which he is not.

10 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Snippets:

Not because of the Julio Jones trade; as we have been telling you in this space for months, that was all they were ever going to get in a $15M salary dump. Nah, the real problem is that Jones is the only meaningful – or quasi-meaningful – trade that the perpetually middling franchise has made. The problem is that Matt Ryan isn't gone, too, and it's compounded by the last three trade deadlines in which management was maleficent in its dereliction of duty to retool for the future and deal aging players on bloated contracts while they still could. So they end up dealing arguably the most impactful player in the history of the franchise and surefire first-ballot Hall of Famer for effectively what the Falcons themselves gave to Baltimore a year ago for the right to take backup tight end Hayden Hurst off their hands.

"Thus they find themselves with a rookie head coach and a rookie general manager tasked with trading their best player, for what would never be much more than a second-round pick (and never any chance of a first-rounder despite what was being spewed elsewhere), while still having a physically-limited 36-year old quarterback bound to the club despite being in wonderful position to draft one fourth-overall (and cutting Ryan in 2022 now carries a $40M cap hit; cap management hasn't really been their thing, constantly pushing more guaranteed money into the future)."

Just remember, 7 qb needy teams passed on Justin Fields. I'm sure the Bears fans will welcome you with open arms

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

This is going to sound worse than what it is but honestly, should we actually care how him or any player feels after they get traded after they stated they wanted to be traded?

I get that, I always felt like the Falcons should do what’s best for them and Julio will just have to deal with it. 

It’s just interesting to think he may not even be happy with the result even though he asked for it. Titans just seems like such a lateral move. But if he was pissed at us then maybe it’s worth it to him. 

21 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

This right here is why I just despise this clown:

"When you give away Julio Jones so you have cap space to sign rookies (and don't get me started on the Falcons' draft record the last five years or so), yeah, you are rebuilding. But doing it half-assed, backwards, the wrong way."

So he blames the prior regime for drafting poorly, and blames the current regime for moving on from Julio, who requested a trade, and pretends the only reason we traded Julio is because we need cap space.  No mention of Julio requesting the trade BECAUSE OF how the prior regime handled him and his money.  No mention of the fact that we fired the prior regime in part because their drafts were horribly laughable.  No mention of the fact that we fired the coach because we lost a bunch of games we should have won.

No, he has a narrative, and he's not going to let facts get in the way of it.  He's a liar, a charlatan, and a fool.  He is not worthy of your attention.

Definitely a biased idiot.

18 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Snippets:

At some point you gotta let go and move on. Justin Fields is not a Falcon.

We can still win a SB with Matt. Granted it’s not likely seeing as time isn’t on our side, but it’s possible if the regime makes the right roster moves, develops some guys and aren’t idiots on game day.

5 minutes ago, wnyfalconfan said:

Just remember, 7 qb needy teams passed on Justin Fields. I'm sure the Bears fans will welcome you with open arms

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

23 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Basically, La Canfora is as bad as the lowest common denominator trolls on this board.  Only someone pays him to say stupid ****.

14 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

I get that, I always felt like the Falcons should do what’s best for them and Julio will just have to deal with it. 

It’s just interesting to think he may not even be happy with the result even though he asked for it. Titans just seems like such a lateral move. But if he was pissed at us then maybe it’s worth it to him. 

Maybe Arthur Smith told him every player would be held accountable and he would have to practice. Then he asked for a trade.

3 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I didn't write the article OR start this thread. Never even mentioned Fields. YOU did...

As people have already stated better a year early than a year late. I do wish I could have seen him, Pitts, and Ridley out there together but this isn't madden. If the dude wanted out it was out of the Falcons hands. Next draft just got a little more exciting. 

10 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

If he's unhappy with it, tough tits for him. 

As a Falcon fan for the last 40 years, enduring more bad years than good, I also agree with SOME of his points.  I do believe we need to rebuild and believe things should have been done different.  The talk before the trade deadline last year that they would let the next regime decide who stays/goes is poor management.  I've not been a fan of can kicking and would have found alternatives ways to start shedding cap.  Next year isn't going to be much better so are they just delaying the rebuild?  I know most here think we are playoff contenders so lets hope so.

Posted (edited)

I think that it's very possible that Terry Fontenont and Arthur Smith didn't want to keep Julio Jones all along because of the cap problems. They probably thought that Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage and Kyle Pitts with Matt Ryan at QB would be more than enough for a successful offense.

Edited by Falcons Fan MVP