The Julio is traded thread

28 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I think future players getting re-signed will be a question of what they put on the field and the chemistry they bring to the locker room.

Speaking of locker room, why is it called a locker room in football and a clubhouse in baseball? Hmmm 😜

Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? 🤔

Just now, shockerfalcon said:

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again. Julio was fine until Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson got in his ear about money. I blame those two divas for this whole mess and if Karma is real Julio won’t get another big contract. Fans complain about Matt not taking a pay cut but he never attempted to hold the team hostage over his services. I have a million times more respect for Matt than I’ll ever again have for Julio. I sincerely hope he fails in Tennessee 

Very true! And I’m not saying Matt didn’t come out with wads of cash in his pocket, but he has always been willing to let them rework his deal in whatever way they could to get cap money to improve the team. 

His current numbers aren’t because he held the team hostage. It’s because he let them do whatever they needed to do to try to win. 

I don’t wish Jones any ill will. In fact, I feel absolutely nothing for him.  He was paid well (overpaid) to do a job. He burned any bridge he had to my emotional attachment with him years ago.

He’s gone, and he’s somebody else’s problem now. Good riddance to him and all that drama. I’m excited about our cap space and draft picks.

24 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

MMQB: The Julio Jones Trade Has Been in the Works for a Long Time

by Albert Breer

The idea Julio Jones would be traded became public in the days leading up to the draft. The fact that he had asked for a trade only made it into the news cycle two weeks ago. But what you saw go down on Sunday? The wheels have been rolling a lot longer than that.

In fact, what’s been a two-week story for fans on the outside has been a two-year story inside the Falcons’ building. This goes all the way back to the 2019 negotiation of the three-year, $66 million extension Jones landed with two years left on a deal he signed in 2015. That negotiation was long. It was difficult. And when it was done, it was positioned as affirmation of owner Arthur Blank’s promise to make the greatest receiver in franchise history a Falcon “forever,” with guaranteed money carrying the superstar into his mid-30s. The truth wasn’t nearly that clean. 

Jones went to the table twice asking for a market correction to his second NFL contract—after the 2017 season, and again after the 2018 season. He got a Band-Aid pay hike in ’18, then the blockbuster contract in ’19. The first adjustment was done with the agreement that the sides would work out something more permanent a year later, and the Falcons did follow through on that promise.

But it took the entire offseason to get it done—the deal was finalized just before the 2019 opener—and there were potholes along the way. At one point, Jones’s camp told the Falcons that if a new agreement couldn’t be reached, the perennial All-Pro wanted to be traded.

It’s hard to say whether or not that request impacted the ongoing contract talks. It was, on the other hand, easy to see the other effects it wound up having, and the damage it did.

The relationship was strained, and it remained that way through the final two years of then-GM Thomas Dimitroff and then-coach Dan Quinn’s time at the helm. Quinn, in particular, had a strong relationship with Jones, and his ouster last October only further disconnected Jones from the organization. By the time the new brass arrived, any chance to rebuild the relationship between team and player had evaporated.

And so, what was a possibility in 2019 became a reality in March 2021. Through his agent, Jones asked for a trade.

Three months later, Jones has his wish. The 32-year-old future Hall of Famer is a Titan. The Falcons are sending Jones and a 2023 sixth-round pick to Tennessee in exchange for a 2022 second-rounder and a 2023 fourth-rounder. And as it turns out, the road getting there was longer than anyone on the outside realizes.

The reason I led with the background on Jones, and where this is now, is because I’ve gotten the feeling over the last few weeks that people can’t understand, 1) why the Falcons would move Jones, and 2) why another team wouldn’t step up and offer a first-round pick for him.

The start of the answer to the first question is what’s above—Jones wanted out, and his agent approached new Atlanta GM Terry Fontenot and coach Arthur Smith to tell them that all the way back in early March. But there was also the precarious cap situation that Fontenot and Smith inherited, with five enormous contracts (Jones, Matt Ryan, Deion Jones, Jake Matthews, Grady Jarrett) at the top of the books, and a need to clean up those finances.

In that way, Jones’s trade request gave Fontenot and Smith a logical way to accelerate that process, without mortgaging another deal, something that the Falcons wound up having to do with the Ryan, Matthews and Deion Jones deals just to get cap compliant for 2021.

As for the answer to the second question, Jones is 32, has long-standing knee and foot issues, and a hamstring injury took him out for half of the 2020 season. He’s also expensive now ($15.3 million for 2021), especially in a COVID-affected cap year. And while he’s affordable thereafter ($11.5 million in 2022, and again in 2023), history suggests that if he has a huge ’21, he’ll be back at the negotiating table early in ’22.

That said, when healthy, he’s a great, great player, and his ability to manage injuries over the years with toughness and sustained productivity is part of who he is, too. All of that made for a complicated backdrop to the latest big deal of a relatively wild offseason (even if it hasn’t been as wild as some expected). Here, then, is the rest of the story on Jones, the Falcons, and the Titans …

• When the trade request went in, the Falcons honored the ultra-private Jones’s desire to remain quiet about his bid to get out of town. That’s why, when Jones being on the block bubbled to the surface before the draft, that part of the story wasn’t out there.

• Along those lines, I have it on good authority that Jones had no clue that he was on national TV when he said to FS1’s Shannon Sharpe, “I’m outta there” two weeks ago, which led to his trade request becoming public.

• The Falcons took a swing at trading Jones during the week of the draft, but at that point their asking price—a first-round pick—prevented an agreement from being reached. Another thing that complicated Atlanta’s push to get a deal done was that it could be agreed to then, but not executed until after June 1 (when Atlanta could move $15.5 million of Jones’ $22.25 million in dead money from 2021 to 2022).

• No first-round pick was ever offered. And really, only once did a future 1 come up, and that was as part of a pick swap—so it wouldn’t have been a clean 1—and never got to the point where the team in question actually made an offer.

• As June 1 approached, a significant number of teams wanted in on the conversation with Atlanta, and some even said they’d be willing to move a second-round pick for Jones. But the Titans separated themselves in being the only one that was willing to pull the trigger without caveats. And the fact that they were willing to take on Jones’s contract was huge. Atlanta didn’t want to have to buy a better draft pick by taking on salary.

• The Ravens discussed a Jones trade with the Falcons prior to the draft, but pulled out of the running after taking Rashod Bateman in the first round, and never got back in. The Patriots never showed real interest to Atlanta in Jones, and the Raiders (perhaps for cash reasons) weren’t in it either. The Falcons did wind up talking to all four NFC West teams about a Jones trade, but never got a real offer from any of them.

• The Falcons felt comfortable with Calvin Ridley as their top receiver. And part of the equation here that can’t be lost—Ridley is eligible for a second contract now, and Atlanta’s new brass knows they’re going to have to pay up to keep him.

• The Titans lost Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith this offseason, and the cap circumstances coming out of the pandemic forced Tennessee GM Jon Robinson and coach Mike Vrabel to make other tough decisions on the roster as well. Getting Jones offered them the chance to juice their team with a potential game-changer after a tumultuous few months.

• Vrabel spoke multiple times with Alabama coach Nick Saban before the Titans made the trade, to try and get a feel for who Jones is as a person. And Tennessee came out of that feeling emboldened to make the move.

• The Titans’ initial offer was a 3 that could become a 2, and the 2022 second-round pick (without conditions) had been on the table for a bit. Atlanta wanting a sweetener was what needed to be sorted out, and the Titans securing a ’23 pick swap, rather than giving up, say, a 5 or a 6, means the Titans are down just one pick in ’22, and come out even (with one pick devalued by two rounds) next year, and won’t lose a second player in the process. That made the idea of adding to the 2 more palatable for Tennessee.

• There is some low-hanging fruit here. Smith, of course, just came to Atlanta from Tennessee. The Falcons got Jones out of the NFC. Tennessee was a desirable location for Jones. But the truth, again, is that the Titans very clearly had the best offer, and were most serious over the last couple weeks. That’s why the deal got done—not because of any old connections or any sort of competitive reason.

And so that’s where we are now. The Falcons can move on now, finally.

The Titans, on the other hand, are back on the win-now horse, which makes sense. They’ve been to the playoffs the last two years, made the AFC title game in 2019, and have a core of players (Ryan Tannehill, Derrick Henry, Taylor Lewan, Kevin Byard) smack in the prime of their careers. The relationship between Vrabel and Jones will be important to making this work, Jones could indeed ask for more money (at 33!) if it does, and Tennessee, which has $3.9 million cap space, has work to do to fit their new star receiver under the cap.

But based on where the Titans are, this is a very worthy swing for the fences, which will give Tannehill & Co. maybe the most imposing skill group (Henry, Jones, A.J. Brown) in the NFL.

Great read.  Clears it all up.  Brilliant.

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

That's why I'm glad the Sharpe phone call happened. Had it not have happened, TF would have been made out to be the bad guy after the dust settled. I'm glad the fan base found out that he just ultimately didn't want to be a Falcon any longer. 

I've said it 1001 times, I would not have extended him in 2019. I will assume he wanted out then but TD threw money at him to make him happy. 

The thing is if Julio wasn't happy and TD was already on the hot seat backing Quinn, I could see where the best option to win now, was throw money at Julio. That said there was no hint Julio was this unhappy publicly. He really shouldn't have extended him.

3 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Very true! And I’m not saying Matt didn’t come out with wads of cash in his pocket, but he has always been willing to let them rework his deal in whatever way they could to get cap money to improve the team. 

His current numbers aren’t because he held the team hostage. It’s because he let them do whatever they needed to do to try to win. 

I don’t wish Jones any ill will. In fact, I feel absolutely nothing for him.  He was paid well (overpaid) to do a job. He burned any bridge he had to my emotional attachment with him years ago.

He’s gone, and he’s somebody else’s problem now. Good riddance to him and all that drama. I’m excited about our cap space and draft picks.

All that matters is the red and black.  He's now some kind of blue, grey amalgam.  Deuce's.  

Posted (edited)

At the end of the day, Julio or not the Offensive line should be the priority.

Matty can get the ball to anybody if he has time.

All current recievers are talented and capable of getting open but protecting Matty should be the priority.

I'd say purchase some muscle for the trenches and the heck with super star recievers, any average joe can get open and catch a ball.

Purchase some big boys to protect Matty and open the running lanes.

I love Julio to death but BYE FELICIA....  open the salary cap for some muscle.

Edited by Boaz357
mispelled "if"

1 hour ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Question is, if not for the cap crunch forcing our hand, would it have gotten worse?  I have to think this will help in the clubhouse 

Yeah, I don’t buy all this painting Jones as some saintly figure the last several years. 

He’s no different than any diva in this league. He’s just been doing it in a passive aggressive way, usually by manipulating weak people like Quinn and TD, and even Blank, into coddling him. 

3 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Great read.  Clears it all up.  Brilliant.

Yeah contract negotiations can be detrimental for relationships. I have always been told that by a few former players. Exactly why the Bell and Steelers situation was crazy with his teammates speaking out against him. And to this day I’m told Bell doesn’t speak to many in the Steeler organization 

6 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Matt doesn’t care about the restructure because he isn’t losing money. I swear some of you😂😂

If you bottom line this thing you've got piss poor mismanagement (Dimitroff /et.al) colliding with Diva talent.  I loved Julio as much as the next but bowing to him over and over didn't help the situation.  To those crying about the return, NO ONE....NOT ONE team decided it was worth it to pony up a 1, pay him and deal with a potential unhealthy player.

I'm just ecstatic that it's over.  Time to get this team right.  I would have started a rebuild already but I guess time will tell what parts will be added/subtracted to begin a better chapter of football.  No slogans.  No false bravado.  Just a winning football team.

Just now, deester11 said:

If you bottom line this thing you've got piss poor mismanagement (Dimitroff /et.al) colliding with Diva talent.  I loved Julio as much as the next but bowing to him over and over didn't help the situation.  To those crying about the return, NO ONE....NOT ONE team decided it was worth it to pony up a 1, pay him and deal with a potential unhealthy player.

I'm just ecstatic that it's over.  Time to get this team right.  I would have started a rebuild already but I guess time will tell what parts will be added/subtracted to begin a better chapter of football.  No slogans.  No false bravado.  Just a winning football team.

There’s no true rebuild in the nfl. Coaches and GM’s don’t get that long.

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

I really don’t know where anyone got this idea he was bringing any more than what we got.

He’s 32, he’s got a chronic wheel problem that hasn’t gotten better over the years. He stays banged up constantly. He doesn’t score a lot of TDs and never has. He never practiced, so chemistry with him was crap.

And all the chatter about his greatness is from people looking at him with 2016 eyes. He hasn’t been that guy for years. Folks just don’t want to admit it.

His salary was obscene weighed against those things. Our primary goal was to unload that money and get cap space going forward. The 2/4 picks are the tasty gravy in that deal.

I’m just glad it’s over before the players who want to be here start for real. 

All this is true. There are people who think we can’t win a SB without him. Well, we didn’t win one WITH him and remember Tom Brady won with guys like Welker, Amendola, and Edelman. It’s a team concept. I don’t really care who is on the roster as well as they are well coached and playing to the best of their strengths and abilities and capable of winning a SB. 

40 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

I would rather he went elsewhere.  If you read my moan I did not want us to do Julio any favors.

Seems Julio came out way on top.

How so? Julio went to a team that just lost its OC.  Now, the last time that happened they ended up improving the offense, but is anyone thinking lightning is going to strike twice there? The main reason they were so efficient the last two years is gone, and we have him on our team now.

Julio doesn't get any more money.  If anything, this makes it less likely he ever will.  If he doesn't play well, they won't extend him.  If he does, and pulls her diva move to force an extension, they can cut him and all they owe is his remaining guaranteed salary -- $2 million.  The Titans can easily move on from him, and they don't have to extend him.  They can legit say "you are ours for two more seasons, so you play for your $11 million per, or take a hike."

How did he win this?  If anything, the Titans won, but I honestly think it's a win for both teams.  We got rid of a malcontent and cleared a ton of cap while getting a 2nd round pick next year and upgrading a 6th to a 4th the year after.  They got a guy they think can help their team, and it's entirely possible the change of scenery motivates him to do better.  They risk very little and get a generational superstar.

What did Julio get that he didn't already have other than a new uniform?

2 hours ago, thanat0s said:

I really don’t know where anyone got this idea he was bringing any more than what we got.

He’s 32, he’s got a chronic wheel problem that hasn’t gotten better over the years. He stays banged up constantly. He doesn’t score a lot of TDs and never has. He never practiced, so chemistry with him was crap.

And all the chatter about his greatness is from people looking at him with 2016 eyes. He hasn’t been that guy for years. Folks just don’t want to admit it.

His salary was obscene weighed against those things. Our primary goal was to unload that money and get cap space going forward. The 2/4 picks are the tasty gravy in that deal.

I’m just glad it’s over before the players who want to be here start for real. 

An ESPN reporter said they had an offer for a first rounder on the table and it was ran with

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

An ESPN reporter said they had an offer for a first rounder on the table and it was ran with

To be honest, what if they did though?

What if the Falcons wanted the most compensation for Julio but the most important thing they wanted to do was to find someone willing to fully off-load his contract to?

Maybe the offer of taking on Julio's contract is what caused many of the interested teams to drop out?

Just now, DonOfThemBirds said:

To be honest, what if they did though?

What if the Falcons wanted the most compensation for Julio but the most important thing they wanted to do was to find someone willing to fully off-load his contract to?

Maybe the offer of taking on Julio's contract is what caused many of the interested teams to drop out?

They probably did but there's no way in the world I'd think a team would trade a first + take on the contract.