The First Thing TF should have done after being named GM is to approach MR about a pay cut.

Now before you guys rip me hear me out....I listen to alot of Sirius XM NFL radio and they were talking about Ben Roethlisberger taking a 5million dollar paycut to help out the team this year.. Matt has made over 200 Million(Rightly Deserved) and I think if they would have approached Matt, before all the trade rumors and taking a QB in draft, and also going in interviews talking about they are listening to trades on all players, that Matt would have agreed to take a 5million or so paycut.  If they would have went to him and let him know they were dedicated to him and winning now, I dont see Matt refusing to take a small paycut..well small to QBs...lol..

They could have told him you are our QB for at least the next 3 years..... Asked him to take a 5 million paycut this year and next year, then give him a 10million dollar raise in 2023(when the cap is suppose to really explode) basically making back the money he gave up...all guaranteed and even throw in a no trade clause to show they are dedicated to him..

But after all the trade talks and talk of taking a QB then i can understand Matt saying ummm...no..IF they could have done this, then they wouldnt have had to restructure his contract, they could have just restructured Grady's if he didnt want to extend, then we wouldnt be really held hostage with the whole JJ thing..

On the flip side, Matt may have approached them about a pay cut, but for future security, and they didnt want to commit....

Anyway, just my thoughts... I just think maybe TF started talking too early with the thought they would have no problem moving JJ

14 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I'm not gonna rip you but I see this as a non-issue. They're going to get under the cap one way or another. Julio trade. Re-structure Grady, or sign him to an extension with a lower cap hit this year. I really like what Fontenot has done so far. 

I like what he has done..I just think maybe he should have not started talking about listening to trades so soon....after Matt's Restructure his cap hit is going to be enormous next year, and with a JJ trade and another 15mill cap hit from him we may be in the same position next year..

Feel like it's kind of an odd situation where neither group exactly has rapport with one another or much reason to have complete trust and faith in the other to exactly ask for a pay cut or for Matt to want to take one. From the POV of a QB I'd imagine you'd at least want a season with these guys to properly feel things out before you say you're down to take a pay cut regardless of much you have in your bank account. 

2 hours ago, andrews31cain21 said:

Now before you guys rip me hear me out....I listen to alot of Sirius XM NFL radio and they were talking about Ben Roethlisberger taking a 5million dollar paycut to help out the team this year.. Matt has made over 200 Million(Rightly Deserved) and I think if they would have approached Matt, before all the trade rumors and taking a QB in draft, and also going in interviews talking about they are listening to trades on all players, that Matt would have agreed to take a 5million or so paycut.  If they would have went to him and let him know they were dedicated to him and winning now, I dont see Matt refusing to take a small paycut..well small to QBs...lol..

They could have told him you are our QB for at least the next 3 years..... Asked him to take a 5 million paycut this year and next year, then give him a 10million dollar raise in 2023(when the cap is suppose to really explode) basically making back the money he gave up...all guaranteed and even throw in a no trade clause to show they are dedicated to him..

But after all the trade talks and talk of taking a QB then i can understand Matt saying ummm...no..IF they could have done this, then they wouldnt have had to restructure his contract, they could have just restructured Grady's if he didnt want to extend, then we wouldnt be really held hostage with the whole JJ thing..

On the flip side, Matt may have approached them about a pay cut, but for future security, and they didnt want to commit....

Anyway, just my thoughts... I just think maybe TF started talking too early with the thought they would have no problem moving JJ

When they "restructured his contract", isn't this what happened effectively?

I would like to see a revolutionary approach to contracts in the NFL, where they are shorter (like 2-3 years), but are fully guaranteed & based around a percentage of the cap rather than a firm dollar amount per year.

As it is, too many contracts are made to look significant on paper, but in actuality are worth far less than they appear.

By removing the illusion of extra income from having tons of non-guaranteed money like the current deals & allowing players to get the entire amount of their deals, it keeps the players & union happy.

By teams paying full amounts for shorter lengths, it keeps them from getting screwed over if a player doesn't pan out. Paying players based on a percentage of that year's cap would also potentially help teams avoid getting into cap ****, as well as make issues like the last two seasons a non-factor.

Seems like a win-win situation as far as I can tell.

2 hours ago, andrews31cain21 said:

The Steelers owner came out and said publicly that Big Ben was going to have to rework his contract or get cut cause the Steelers couldn't afford to pay him over $40M this year. Big Ben was slated to have the highest cap hit in the NFL this year. Big Ben didn't "take a pay cut." There's no such thing as "taking a pay cut" in the NFL. The NFLPA doesn't allow players to voluntarily surrender money like that when they have a contract already in place. There's only restructures that move money around.

30 minutes ago, Tmodel66 said:

When they "restructured his contract", isn't this what happened effectively?

No...they took his base salary and converted it to signing bonus...there was no pay cut...its just going to balloon our cap hit next year

2 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Then we would have Matt Ryan and Julio Jones both wanting to be traded.

No, thats why you put in a no trade clause and increase his base for 2023..he gets the money back in 2023.  His base is only 20 million in 2023.. make it 30, which will still be well below market value..and guaranteed....i could be wrong...cap guru's could say if i'm right or not

Matt Ryan cash aka base salary was around 15 mil.... Its his prorated bouns that is the problem because TD kicked it down the road so much its always going to be a problem..

What we can do next year (not this year) is if Matt balls out..... Sign him to a friendly extension watering down that prorated money some while guaranteeing Matt more years

3 minutes ago, andrews31cain21 said:

No...they took his base salary and converted it to signing bonus...there was no pay cut...its just going to balloon our cap hit next year

Which is exactly the same thing Big Ben did. There is no such thing as a player voluntarily taking less money. It's not allowed by the NFLPA. Big Ben restructured his deal that will pay him $10.4M in 2022 to not play for the Steelers.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/ben-roethlisberger-contract-details-salary-bonuses/

8 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Matt Ryan cash aka base salary was around 15 mil.... Its his prorated bouns that is the problem because TD kicked it down the road so much its always going to be a problem..

What we can do next year (not this year) is if Matt balls out..... Sign him to a friendly extension watering down that prorated money some while guaranteeing Matt more years

It's basically the voidable years deal that the Bucs did with Tom Brady, the Saints did with Drew Brees and the Steelers did with Big Ben. Those voidable years is how they reduce the cap hit. Player still makes the same amount of money.

2 hours ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Easier solution would be a big company in Atlanta makes Matt Ryan their sponsor.

They pay him $15m/year in agreement that his contract with us is $15m/year.

We get Ryan for cheaper. 
Ryan gets better teammates.

Win win.

Honestly, yeah. Get a sponsor to guarantee money for name sake or a few commercials. Remove that money from deal. Lol.

57 minutes ago, TXAintsHater said:

Pay cut? No. But what I'd ask him to do is convert much of his 2022 and 2023 salary into endorsement deals with Home Depot, FedEx, and Mercedes-Benz that don't count against the cap 🤪. Win-win, right?

But when Brady effectively did that with his brand, folks said the Patriots were cheating...

Now I don’t know this for certain, but I suspect that the way he has done the restructuring to help the team get cap, even if he took a pay cut at this point, the signing bonus portion might make a pay cut irrelevant as it relates to the cap. 

49 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I was just speculating about this, so I’m glad someone else saw this as the likely stumbling block on pay cuts.  

2 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Now I don’t know this for certain, but I suspect that the way he has done the restructuring to help the team get cap, even if he took a pay cut at this point, the signing bonus portion might make a pay cut irrelevant as it relates to the cap. 

Yeah...if he would have taken the pay cut initially, then we would not have had to restructure again......i think..lol