Darren Hall AND Avery Williams?

Between Hall and Williams Both selections were... above round grade to say the least. Both of these guys are slot corner only in my book.  I CAN see a path for Williams however based on his return prowess.

Avery Williams also has a terrific case, however. He had 82 punt returners for 948 yards in his college career and scored 6 touchdowns in that role, which is simply an eye-popping total. The Boise State product is a player the Falcons clearly like, and he’ll go into this competition as the betting favorite.

Hall played very little special teams, no return prowess, and is not known as a gunner on coverage. Williams is a downfield gunner, AND blocked 5 kicks, along with 5 kickoff returns (I mean have Patterson but that another thread).

Would there be a path for Williams to just be special teams if he cant handle the slot guy AND have Hall active for slot?  Just cant see going into season with both.

Hall is a cornerback with a slightly undersized frame. He is a sudden athlete with very good short-area quickness. He has shown to be best in off coverage with given space. He does a good job shadowing and matching receivers in and out of breaks. He does well with his positioning and is able to get in phase.

When playing the ball, Hall does well with his timing and playing through the hands of receivers. When running downfield, he lacks the top-end speed needed to run with more elite athletes. Hall has not shown the ability to play in the slot and has been bullied by bigger receivers. Though a willing tackler, Hall still has some developing to do.

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Between Hall and Williams Both selections were... above round grade to say the least. Both of these guys are slot corner only in my book.  I CAN see a path for Williams however based on his return prowess.

Avery Williams also has a terrific case, however. He had 82 punt returners for 948 yards in his college career and scored 6 touchdowns in that role, which is simply an eye-popping total. The Boise State product is a player the Falcons clearly like, and he’ll go into this competition as the betting favorite.

Hall played very little special teams, no return prowess, and is not known as a gunner on coverage. Williams is a downfield gunner, AND blocked 5 kicks, along with 5 kickoff returns (I mean have Patterson but that another thread).

Would there be a path for Williams to just be special teams if he cant handle the slot guy AND have Hall active for slot?  Just cant see going into season with both.

Hall is a cornerback with a slightly undersized frame. He is a sudden athlete with very good short-area quickness. He has shown to be best in off coverage with given space. He does a good job shadowing and matching receivers in and out of breaks. He does well with his positioning and is able to get in phase.

When playing the ball, Hall does well with his timing and playing through the hands of receivers. When running downfield, he lacks the top-end speed needed to run with more elite athletes. Hall has not shown the ability to play in the slot and has been bullied by bigger receivers. Though a willing tackler, Hall still has some developing to do.

49 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I can't answer your questions. All I can do is say I trust Arthur Smith and Terry Fontenot until they show that they don't deserve my trust and belief.

TF and AS are the keys here.   The argument could be made that no one really knows just how good, or bad, our secondary is since the schemes they ran were such a godawful mess.  Baldinger's analysis of the coaches tape were always critical of DQ.

One thing we -do- know.... any player brought in thru the draft or as FA's, has a very good chance to make the team, since TF and AS brought them in.

Senat makes 1 million, Oliver just over 2.  They are in the last year of thier rookie deals,  I don't see them, or several others, making this team if they don't make significant contributions.

Kepp in mind about Hall and Grant.... both have superior ball skills, they made INTs in college.   Lack of INT production has been a huge problem for us.  Both those guys, and Williams, will make the team.

Grades are useless. 

Avery Williams had record 9 TD returned and was an All American ST guy twice. Williams also had 5 kicks(punts, FG and Extra points) blocked. Patterson doesn’t return punts, so it’s Williams job to lose. Patterson is also on one year contract. If Falcons don’t sign Patterson next year, Plan would be for Williams to take over the Kick off returns. Didn’t AS say they may even put Williams at RB. 

Avery Williams is a ST ace and a nice departure from TD who never really drafted ST guys but mostly tried to have depth guys play ST. 

Hall is versatile player Dean Pees likes in secondary. This pick has Dean Pees written all over. 

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Grades are useless. 

Avery Williams had record 9 TD returned and was an All American ST guy twice. Williams also had 5 kicks(punts, FG and Extra points) blocked. Patterson doesn’t return punts, so it’s Williams job to lose. Patterson is also on one year contract. If Falcons don’t sign Patterson next year, Plan would be for Williams to take over the Kick off returns. Didn’t AS say they may even put Williams at RB. 

Avery Williams is a ST ace and a nice departure from TD who never really drafted ST guys but mostly tried to have depth guys play ST. 

Hall is versatile player Dean Pees likes in secondary. This pick has Dean Pees written all over. 

Spot in post!  The draft strategy was refreshing and you can bet Pees liked Hall a lot.

4 hours ago, takeitdown said:

I wouldn’t have taken those two corners. They’re taking a slot we could have used on an inexpensive proven vet. 

Think we’re just going to have to consider Avery as special teams and not count him in the corner room. 

much like Allen Rossum was

Posted (edited)

Williams/Patterson/Marquise Williams/Steve Hoffman

The team added two different returners and two veteran special teams coaches.  Seems like special teams is going to be a new emphasis under TF/AS so we better get used to capital both FA/Draft going to that side of the ball.  Field posistion is obviously seen as a premium asset by the current regime.  Also Hoffman has coached some of the best punting and kicking groups in history so expect Hofricther and even Koo to take huge strides this year.  

As far as Hall I trust Pees in his analysis of DBs he has a pretty solid track record.

Edited by #84