FWIW, (Falcons) worst to first candidates for each division 2021.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:27 AM, thanat0s said:

Makes sense. They should've brought up the easier schedule than we've had in the past. That could be a big factor in our flipping the script in 21.

A weaker schedule alone could mean a turnaround of three or four extra W's, so our expected 8-9 could become 12-5. You have to beat teams rated better than you as well as those you're supposed to beat. Hope we can do enough of both to get back to the play-offs. We dayum sure should. It really ain't that hard ~ 14 of the 32 teams will make the play-offs. That's almost half the league. Surely we're that good.

Posted (edited)

With seven playoff teams a conference 9-8 likely makes the postseason.  It will be execution not talent that defines who gets a playoff spot and who picks top 10.   The difference between good and bad in the NFL is so small literally 7-8 plays a year.  We have been really bad at the little things the last 2 years, coverage busts, holding onto ints, punting, returning, bleeding clock, pass blocking, covering onside kicks.  Hopefully the new regime can pull a first year Mike Smith and go back to basics on offense and defense and get good special teams play.  A 7-9 win season where we played fundamentally sound football would feel amazing at this point.

Worst to first seems unlikely but a wildcard spot is closer than we think.  Win the ones we are supposed to and finish games

Edited by #84

20 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

That is exactly how I have felt about this , mostly because of what I think is the best draft in the History of this team. For that reason , I think we will win our division. I've posted this once right after the draft. We will IMO be hard to beat if Ryan stays healthy.. I have to add the last note. Can't believe how people on this board throws off on Ryan,, They need to find a team where they like the QB. Probably most of them are young kids.. Not knowing that Ryan has never been the problem with this team.. It's been the HCs,  I truly believe we now have the HC to at least get us in the playoffs this year.. I truly believe we will be there ...   :o

I like our draft a lot, not going out on that limb yet, I need time to see it shake out first.

4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I like our draft a lot, not going out on that limb yet, I need time to see it shake out first.

Well, I went out on a big limb ,, but the limb is not rotten like last year. It's a big strong Green limb now. And what I think is going to be a great team because of AB cleaning house and getting the right men to take control of a very good Team that they helped us have what I've been calling the best Draft in this teams History.  When you include all the FAs picked up after the draft also..  The only thing I didn't like was Seeing Brian Hill go to the Titans. That might just end up being the only regret of all the moves they've made.. If that's the only mistake they make. I'll be happy with everything else.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, falcndave said:

Twitter version: I'm on board, but I'm not sure the schedule is easier. However, it won't matter if we play fundamentally sound football a higher percentage of the time.

Full thoughts: I totally agree in principle. I'm not sure I agree based on SoS. Statistically, home field matters (5-10% improved winning chance in most season) and the Falcons only enjoy that seven times in 17 weeks. Here's why I still agree in principle. I don't believe the Falcons need to play an easier schedule to win more games than they did last year. They simply need to play slightly more consistent and they need to improve their pre-game prep and in-game decisions.

Why do I feel that way? We all marked the Cowboys and Seahawks as "tough" spots last season when discussing the schedule. Those game were entirely winnable. I don't even want to get into Da Bears. Now lets add @ Carolina, home vs. NO, @ LAC, @ KC. The Falcons lost 3 games that I squarely attribute to coaching ineptness/team chemistry. Then there were 5 other one score losses. 

One thing to remember is that as ugly as last season was, the quality of football played on the field was consistently better once Quinn got chased and Morris took over. There were three losses that were just plain ole firing material with Quinn in charge. Morris had the team in every single game except week 17 vs. Tampa. Morris is defensive minded and coached in both terms as a head coach to keep his teams in games. AS is more aggressive in play calling and goes with analytical trends more often. AS will hopefully turn a few more one score losses into wins, but he may also turn one or two of them into two score losses by being less conservative. 

Agree. There are going to be times when aggressive play is going to backfire on AS and we'll end up losing some games. But, I still like the aggressive approach, of putting max pressure on a defense, physically and mentally. Fortune favors the bold and the Falcons will be a more successful team being aggressive rather than reactive.