2021 Playoffs Round 2 - Hawks#5 vs Sixers#1

jayu70

58 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

It’s like he learned one trick from Coach Pop and that’s it! 

Very Coach DQ of him(minus the dumb@ss quotes thank goodness!) if you ask me.

Kinda reminds me more of Smitty. His teams were good enough to rip through the regular season, but would fall apart in the postseason.

DQ's teams, at the very least, by and large did well in the postseason because he was able to motivate them to play with a sense of urgency and just go for broke. Both coaches lost their way as far as having a concrete vision and plan for the team.

Honestly I'm shocked at what the Nets are doing to the Bucks, considering the way they ran Miami out of town. Coach Bud has no excuse. He's got the Greak Freak, one of the best 3 players in the league not named Kawhi and KD. That said, outside of Giannis, he's got an old roster.

On 6/6/2021 at 2:23 PM, Beef said:

I don’t know why they don’t just give it to Embiid in the low-post every play. He either scores or gets the foul call like 90% of the time.

We’re going to have to shoot 50%+ every game to win this series.

I don't know, maybe because it just isn't that easy??

I’m with Willy Mo. We absolutely need a play creator who can play some D backing up Trae. Another true PG, instead of these converted SG’s.

Think of what our second unit is. Gallo, Huerter, Reddish, Hill, Snell, and OO.

And yet Lou comes in and has minimal capacity to truly activate these guy’s capabilities.  Lou is an undersized off-ball 2 that we are literally forcing to play the point. And the only reason it’s moderately working is because he can score at a nice clip and our second unit is an above average rebounding/second chance group.

And Dunn is nearly the same thing except he plays D but can’t score as well as Lou.

But just imagine if we had a backup PG who could delve out 7-8 assists in 15-18 mins every night, while also playing some lockdown D.

This is possible with our second unit that’s full of incredible shooters. And as athletic as OO has proven to be, he’s a Capela 2.0 in the making.

Goodwin showed flashes at times, but you can just tell he’s at his ceiling, which is barely average and inconsistent.

Our next draft needs to be a first round PG and then start trying to find a decent 7-footer.

Knicks screwed up. They don't have the star talent necessary to be actual contenders and I am not sold that a star is just gonna run and sign with them.  50 Million is great, but stars want to go to teams that they feel they can also win with. KD wasn't going to go to brooklyn without Kyrie. 

22 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Knicks screwed up. They don't have the star talent necessary to be actual contenders and I am not sold that a star is just gonna run and sign with them.  50 Million is great, but stars want to go to teams that they feel they can also win with. KD wasn't going to go to brooklyn without Kyrie. 

One of the funniest things about reading Knick fan reactions to their loss is about how them getting to the playoffs with a scrappy team was similar to what the Nets and Clippers did to attract stars and like....lol

Their two best players don't even have right hands. And they could barely score over 90 points (in the 2021 NBA! where the average PPG for a team is around 110!) because they played guys like Reggie Bullock and Noel/Gibson who don't really provide any offense whatsoever, and the Hawks just swarmed their decent scorers.

That team is gonna suck major *** next year when Barret and Randle aren't shooting 40% from 3. The playoffs, I think, showed that was a mirage, possibly due to the lack of crowds. 

Looking ahead to tonight...I don't expect us to win. I think the 76ers are gonna try to play us really physical to get our guys out of their shooting rhythm and 100% the referees will be letting them knock Trae around as they please. No doubt in my mind about that.  What I'm looking for is for our halfcourt defense to double Embiid off of Simmons if possible and if not, rotate well to their shooters and force them to make tough contested shots. If they go in, they go in. 

We tried in game 1, but the refs are not going to allow Capela to single cover Embiid. The idea of one of the top 3, if not the most disciplined post defender in the league getting 5 fouls on anyone, even a beast like Embiid, is ludicrous to me. 

The good thing for the Hawks is because we won game 1, we don't have to beat them in Philly again. All we gotta do is win 3, 4, and 6 and we win the series.  I think people are downplaying it because it almost ended in an all-time Atlanta sports classic disaster but guys...we led by 26 at one point! We took homecourt advantage. That's massive. 

The Hawks are currently on a 13-game home winning streak. We literally have the best homecourt in the league right now. All we gotta do is take care of business there, and we're in an improbable ECF. I'm ready.

1 hour ago, Mr.11 said:

Kinda reminds me more of Smitty. His teams were good enough to rip through the regular season, but would fall apart in the postseason.

DQ's teams, at the very least, by and large did well in the postseason because he was able to motivate them to play with a sense of urgency and just go for broke. Both coaches lost their way as far as having a concrete vision and plan for the team.

Honestly I'm shocked at what the Nets are doing to the Bucks, considering the way they ran Miami out of town. Coach Bud has no excuse. He's got the Greak Freak, one of the best 3 players in the league not named Kawhi and KD. That said, outside of Giannis, he's got an old roster.

Now that you say it, that is a pretty good Comparison! 

I can remember how Smitty’s team would come in with a game plan and if that didn’t work, they had no where else to go especially on offense. 

The only thing I would say, Smitty’s teams would get a lot out of little , which is another reason we sucked in the playoffs. Because we didn’t have the better players. Ever.

43 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Now that you say it, that is a pretty good Comparison! 

I can remember how Smitty’s team would come in with a game plan and if that didn’t work, they had no where else to go especially on offense. 

The only thing I would say, Smitty’s teams would get a lot out of little , which is another reason we sucked in the playoffs. Because we didn’t have the better players. Ever.

Yup, which was the exact same situation with Bud in Atlanta. That team that won 60 games and made the conference finals only to get swept by Bron's Cavs definitely overachieved.

But the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Bud ran to Milwaukee to get his superstar player in Giannis when the Hawks decided to hit the reset button (we knew darn well we weren't even close to title contenders when Dennis Schroeder is your starting PG).

Now you could argue that the Hawks are ascending and the Bucks are descending, cause like I said, they're a fairly old team (which was the same situation in Atlanta). I wonder how long it'll be before Giannis wants out.

25 minutes ago, Mr.11 said:

Yup, which was the exact same situation with Bud in Atlanta. That team that won 60 games and made the conference finals only to get swept by Bron's Cavs definitely overachieved.

But the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Bud ran to Milwaukee to get his superstar player in Giannis when the Hawks decided to hit the reset button (we knew darn well we weren't even close to title contenders when Dennis Schroeder is your starting PG).

Now you could argue that the Hawks are ascending and the Bucks are descending, cause like I said, they're a fairly old team (which was the same situation in Atlanta). I wonder how long it'll be before Giannis wants out.

I’ll take Giannis in a Hawks Jersey and make our Center position just as deep as our perimeter game and have either Cap or O coming off the bench and even running a twin towers set at times! :rolleyes: (Think I came little thinking of that inside outside action) 

And you leave Patches(aka Schroeder) alone! Lebron thought he was fine to be a starter at point and that seems to be doing well!!! 

Oh wait…. 🤣

9 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

It's kinda funny though, because all these debates about how the Sixers are/should defend the Hawks is really just a compliment to the Hawks.

SAS said that Trae Young is a superstar in the making. I say he's already there. He's causing the #1 seed with the #2 defense in the NBA to go scrambling for answers as to how to defend him, and it really is pick your poison. If you leave Simmons on him:

1) Trae will get him in foul trouble

2) He takes Simmons out of the paint, leaving JC and Capela more room to do damage down low.

3) Creates mismatches literally everywhere else

If they try to trap Trae before or as soon as he crosses midcourt, that leaves huge gaps of space for the Hawks to exploit. Trae just needs to draw them in and others can adjust to the space left behind the defenders. As said repeatedly on national TV, the Hawks have shooters galore. If they can hit their season averages, they'll run Philly off the court again.

What everyone outside of Atlanta is now figuring out is that the Hawks present a matchup nightmare for opposing teams because of the shooting depth they have and the vision and skills of Trae Young. On top of that, they're active and physical on defense and can matchup with just about any team, including the Nets (we saw that early on this season). If Cam Reddish can get up to speed quickly, that just adds another rangy defender who can knock down threes.

I can't wait for Game 2. Gonna be really interesting to see what adjustments are made.

Good post. Cant wait to hear about it. I’d love to watch but I cut the cord. I’ll try to watch it some way...

I am Interested in how the switch up tactics on d  but you basically laid out a scenario where if summons stays on him Trae might go off again.  They will adjust be we McMillan will counter adjust hopefully  

From the highlights I saw them get into passing lanes for tips and steal. 

also was unaware that Simmons was their primary ball handler at 6’10”?  And that he was a defensive stopper.

I love love how Luka is out and Trae is in. They national narrative attributes that to the lack of play and development and or agressiveness of Porzingus. 

I saw that TJ Barret a former Duke alum and draft class mate of reddish- hit all those threes. Looks like NY got lucky hitting all those threes but faded down the stretch in the last game. 

7 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Monte Morris would be nice.  However, I’m hoping we have a long playoff run!

we still keep pick #20 regardless of our playoff finish.

We gotta play it safe with hunter but **** it would be nice to have him and cam back....

Hopefully we steal this game 2.... It's the possible next round we are going to need both.

Charles Barkley is right. Embid may not matter that much this series.

Embid had a great game 1 and the Sixers still loss. Sixers are gonna have to have someone else like Tobias Harris to go off to try to combat the Hawks firepower.

Just now, Beef said:

Why does everything say the game starts at 7:30 but it still hasn’t started and it’s now 7:45??

Whats going on?

I wondered the same thing.

But they probably meant 7:30 to start the TNT pregame show and 8:00 to start the game.