2021 Playoffs Round 2 - Hawks#5 vs Sixers#1

jayu70

10 minutes ago, Beef said:

Huh? Don’t show your hand?

We just won game 4 with that hand after getting whooped the last 2 games trying to play smaller.

Im pretty sure this is the formula and everyone already knows it.

Everyone in the league gets bullied by Embiid, so that’s a bad take. If we can’t beat him 1v1, you simply get more bodies in there.

The dude had over 20 rebounds with us playing our 3 bigs at same time most of the game.  I think it would be nice to have a lengthy 7’er in that mix occasionally. I’m not saying replace Capela, just would be nice to have a professional rim protector off the bench to toss in at times like this, too.

I'm saying keep it in the back pocket.

You're contradicting yourself man. You're telling me "everyone in the league gets bullied by Embiid, so that's a bad take," and then in the same statement you say that it would be nice to get a lengthy 7-footer because "[Embiid] had over 20 rebounds with us playing our 3 bigs at the same time most of the game."

The rebounding disparity wasn't as huge as you're making it out to be. It was 55 - 49 total rebounds in favor of the Sixers, but the Hawks grabbed more offensive rebounds (12 to 8), which was crucial late in the game.

We had a 7-footer. His name was Dewayne Dedmon. Got rid of him in favor of Capela and drafted Okongwu. We've been better off for it.

6 hours ago, Expert Poster said:

I'm fine with physical play. Obvious travels missed all game is another story. 

And honestly, players and coaches (ours and theirs) cry more about the refs than the fans do. 

This is my thought. Doc worked the refs after game 1 and it has paid off. Sometimes you have to do that

I don't think Beef is particularly wrong though. Looking forward to the next few years in the East, Giannis and Embiid aren't going anywhere. Okongwu and John are gonna need to bulk up if we don't want to go for a bigger body, because right now we don't have much for either of those guys. Games 1-3 showed that. 

8 minutes ago, Willy Mo said:

The Hawks haven't had a big 7 footer in years. Even going back to the Ferry days with Millsap/Al, it just seems to be a philosophy of our coaches and FO to be a bit smaller.

Anyone remember Walter Tavares? I thought he was gonna be the SAVIOR. Good times lol. 

gettyimages-483663956.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

I was a Dwight fan. Thought he and Alice would have made quite a tandem. 

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Can y’all boys stop crying about the refs? Please? This is the playoffs. You gotta play physical and stop crying. Play hard. Don’t cry.

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Players, coaches and fans need to stop crying. Play ball.

The sixers are definitely playing more physical than the hawks. If Tobias Harris can shove someone on every other offensive possessions and get away with it the. Maybe the hawks should start to do the same. 

It’s frustrating to see this in the moment and yeah I tend to get caught up in the moment in complaining about the refs   

Did you watch the games?  

56 minutes ago, Willy Mo said:

The Hawks haven't had a big 7 footer in years. Even going back to the Ferry days with Millsap/Al, it just seems to be a philosophy of our coaches and FO to be a bit smaller.

Anyone remember Walter Tavares? I thought he was gonna be the SAVIOR. Good times lol. 

Even going back further. Has there been a somewhat productive 7 plus footer since Jon Koncack?

9 minutes ago, jwickha2 said:

That good, no?

That's great! Yeah the FG percentages aren't looking hot, but he's been efficient in every other metric. The shooting will improve with experience, but given this is Trae's first rodeo in the playoffs and he's been going up against the two best defenses in the NBA, Trae has exceeded any reasonable expectations.

2 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

The sixers are definitely playing more physical than the hawks. If Tobias Harris can shove someone on every other offensive possessions and get away with it the. Maybe the hawks should start to do the same. 

It’s frustrating to see this in the moment and yeah I tend to get caught up in the moment in complaining about the refs   

Did you watch the games?  

Yeah.

Especially when Embid got a favorable foul call on a rebound in which the refs failed to call on him for pushing down Collins right before the rebound attempt.

I expect these levels of suspect calls in Philly, but not in Atlanta.

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yeah.

Especially when Embid got a favorable foul call on a rebound in which the refs failed to call on him for pushing down Collins right before the rebound attempt.

If you walk past him, they call a foul. For someone whose star power is questionable at best, he gets calls like MJ. 

2 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

That's great! Yeah the FG percentages aren't looking hot, but he's been efficient in every other metric. The shooting will improve with experience, but given this is Trae's first rodeo in the playoffs and he's been going up against the two best defenses in the NBA, Trae has exceeded any reasonable expectations.

And let’s not forget his shoulder. That has to be affecting his shooting numbers, too.

3 hours ago, Willy Mo said:

He's playing well overseas.

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yeah.

It's probably a good thing that I'm not a ref, because I'd make the biggest stars earn a foul call from me. That ticky tack trash wouldn't ever get called. 

40 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

I don't like fussing about the refs but the travelling calls and push offs by Harris and Curry especially are untenable.

How about in the 4th when Simmons got the flagrant 1 on JC?

JC was literally in his 1.5 step, ball in both hands, about to dunk, and they STILL didn’t give him foul shots. He got the 1 shot for the technical and then we had to inbound the ball, which we didn’t convert into a basket.

It’s crap like that which people aren’t processing.

Trae not getting foul shots on 3 fouls when he was clearly beginning the shooting process or absolutely had an immediate continuation.  Should have been 6 more points for Trae right there.

The ball clearly goes out on Simmons, but they still reviewed it.

Meanwhile, they have reversed multiple turnovers like that without review in Sixers favor.

All these things add up.  It’s greatly effecting the game and swinging a crap ton more points than some folks realize.

It’s also demoralizing attitudes on top of changing entire style of play.  I truly believe we’d be smoking the Sixers if not for all this crap.

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yeah.

Yeah. If anyone saw that they would concur. That was a terrible call physical play or no physical play. It leads people to believe that he is getting preferential treatment. I know star players get better treatment, but is Embiid really a star?