I like reading this about Sanu

https://sports.yahoo.com/49ers-otas-observations-mohamed-sanu-233753917.html

SANTA CLARA -- Five wide receivers who should win spots on the 53-man roster were not on the practice field Wednesday during the 49ers' second week of organized activities.

The shortage of available pass-catchers left the door open for the most-experienced receiver on the 90-man roster to see a lot of action come his way.

Brandon Aiyuk (groin), Richie James (hamstring) and Travis Benjamin (calf) were held out of practice. Deebo Samuel is not injured, but he was excused from on-field work. And Jalen Hurd continues to rehab from a torn ACL he sustained on the first day of training camp last summer.

Veteran Mohamed Sanu, who figures to be in a battle to win a roster spot for the start of the regular season, was the clear No. 1 receiver during practice.

Sanu caught five passes during 11-on-11 drills, including two apiece from Jimmy Garoppolo and rookie Trey Lance, in the team's 72-minute practice.

Sanu, 31, as far more NFL experience than any receiver on the 49ers’ team. He has appeared in 128 NFL games with 96 starts. He has 420 career receptions for 4,694 yards and 27 touchdowns. 

However, his production fell off dramatically the past two seasons. Last year, Sanu appeared in three games with the 49ers and was cut after catching one pass for 9 yards. He ended up with the Detroit Lions, where he caught 16 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown in seven games.

Now, he’s back with the 49ers on a one-year contract and faces stiff challenges to remain with the club into the regular season.

15 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

Sanu's best days were as a Falcon.

Say what you want about Matt Ryan, dude sure does make receivers look good.  Name a receiver who looked worse in a Ryan-led offense.

Or a receiver who looked better after he departed the Falcons? Is there one? I can't think of one.

4 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Or a receiver who looked better after he departed the Falcons? Is there one? I can't think of one.

To be honest, I think without a preseaseon, Hooper came on at the end of the year last season... but that is an incredibly small sample size and still didnt look any better than he did at any point with Ryan.

2 minutes ago, RetroRoq said:

To be honest, I think without a preseaseon, Hooper came on at the end of the year last season... but that is an incredibly small sample size and still didnt look any better than he did at any point with Ryan.

Yeah he's the closest, but he pulled off some pretty cool stuff with Ryan. He hasn't done that yet since he left.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Yeah, even if you count Hooper, it's a push at best.  He certainly did not leave here and then have a breakout season.  Matt Ryan got him paid.

And the only season he had fewer yards receiving than last year was his rookie season, so you can't count him yet. He's nowhere near the player yet in Cleveland that he was with us.

Posted (edited)

I get what you guys are saying but in recent history it wasnt just matt. We couldnt run the ball, julio and rid open it up for everyone else. You are gonna eat here.

Hooper went to a running team and father time has caught up sanu. Matt gets the ball there but there are a lot more factors.

If you dont see it you are choosing not to.

We also couldnt stop anyone past few seasons.

Edited by red falcon

40 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Hooper went from pass heavy offense to run based conservative offense. Stefanski wants to open up playbook for Mayfield this year, we will see what Hopper can do this year. 

Tell em bro, it aint just because of matt. Hes plays a part but other things factor in.

Just now, AxManBigFan said:

Sanu was quiete a bit better then Jenkins. Even if it’s not showing up on the stat line. Jenkins was a decent WR. Sanu was an above average talent for us (which is why we got a 2nd rounder for him).

That's right, but the question is did Jenkins get better when he left, and the answer is affirmatively -- he did not.  Therefore, he did not look worse in a Ryan led offense.  HIs best 3 years were the 3 before his last season here, and he never reached the lowest of those in total yards after he left (and did not reach them in 2010, which was his last year with the Falcons).  He didn't even reach the mark in total yards in either season with Minnesota.  His touchdown totals were, at best, a push.  He didn't match his low water mark in total receptions from those 4 years after he left either.

Jenkins emphatically was not a worse QB with Matt Ryan than he was after he left.  His best years with us were not great, but they were better than either of his two seasons in Minnesota.

5 minutes ago, AxManBigFan said:

Sanu was quiete a bit better then Jenkins. Even if it’s not showing up on the stat line. Jenkins was a decent WR. Sanu was an above average talent for us (which is why we got a 2nd rounder for him).

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

That's right, but the question is did Jenkins get better when he left, and the answer is affirmatively -- he did not.  Therefore, he did not look worse in a Ryan led offense.  HIs best 3 years were the 3 before his last season here, and he never reached the lowest of those in total yards after he left (and did not reach them in 2010, which was his last year with the Falcons).  He didn't even reach the mark in total yards in either season with Minnesota.  His touchdown totals were, at best, a push.  He didn't match his low water mark in total receptions from those 4 years after he left either.

Jenkins emphatically was not a worse QB with Matt Ryan than he was after he left.  His best years with us were not great, but they were better than either of his two seasons in Minnesota.

Yep. You would think Jenkins would have put up better numbers with a Gadget guy Percy Harvin as number 1 WR and Shincoe as TE.  Jenkins was third or fourth option in ATL and was much higher in MN. 

12 minutes ago, red falcon said:

I get what you guys are saying but in recent history it wasnt just matt. We couldnt run the ball, julio and rid open it up for everyone else. You are gonna eat here.

Hooper went to a running team and father time has caught up sanu. Matt gets the ball there but there are a lot more factors.

If you dont see it you are choosing not to.

We also couldnt stop anyone past few seasons.

Hooper wasn't a great example but it doesn’t mean Ridley or Julio opening for others. Matt Ryan is one of the top QB to go beyond first or second read. In 2020, Ryan went beyond his first read at much higher percent than guys like Josh Allen, Tannehill. IIRC Ryan and Brady were with in a percent on targeting options beyond first read. 

I think biggest factor I miss in Hooper is under pressure or on Third downs, he would change his routes to help Ryan out with finding spaces. Hooper didn’t really develop this until 2018. Hopefully Pitts and Hurst build that quickly.

26 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Hooper wasn't a great example but it doesn’t mean Ridley or Julio opening for others. Matt Ryan is one of the top QB to go beyond first or second read. In 2020, Ryan went beyond his first read at much higher percent than guys like Josh Allen, Tannehill. IIRC Ryan and Brady were with in a percent on targeting options beyond first read. 

I think biggest factor I miss in Hooper is under pressure or on Third downs, he would change his routes to help Ryan out with finding spaces. Hooper didn’t really develop this until 2018. Hopefully Pitts and Hurst build that quickly.

Eh we see hooper a lot differently. I respect your opinion.