Interesting Ridley stat ( 2020 )

3 minutes ago, fuego said:

Regardless, when people criticize Ryan they aren't talking about 20 yard passes. So Ridley's stat still proves nothing about Ryan's 'real' deep ball ability. 

Then what proves Ryan's deep ball ability? Unless you can find some stats or some website that keeps track of throws 30 or 40 yards down field? I searched for this stuff just last night and everything I could find was talking about 20/25 yards down field and all had Ryan ranked among the best QBs in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Then what proves Ryan's deep ball ability? Unless you can find some stats or some website that keeps track of throws 30 or 40 yards down field? I searched for this stuff just last night and everything I could find was talking about 20/25 yards down field and all had Ryan ranked among the best QBs in the NFL.

I have no idea. I'm not trying to prove his deep ball ability. But it takes a statistic for a longer pass than 20 yards. I'm just saying a 20 yard pass doesn't prove deep ball ability. I'm surprised there's not stats on longer passes. But  IMO a 20 yard pass doesn't justify "all you Ryan haters kiss off", at least where true deep balls are concerned. Like I said, when most are criticizing Ryan's deep ball ability they aren't talking about 20 yard passes. They're really basically talking about the bombs for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, fuego said:

Regardless, when people criticize Ryan they aren't talking about 20 yard passes. So Ridley's stat still proves nothing about Ryan's 'real' deep ball ability. 

The "real" deep pass you're talking about is simply not a thing.  Over 30 yards the league accuracy percentage drops to 40%.  Remove Patrick Mahomes its far worse even than that.   Again saying we Ryan has a weakness on throws over 30 yards or as you put it true deep throws is silly.  No one is good or accurate on them except to a small degree Mahomes.  It'd be like saying running is a weakness for Julio because Usian Bolt can dust him in a race. 

If you expect accuracy beyond 30 yards you're quite frankly talking about nothing.  Also you don't design plays that involve throwing 30 plus yards down field.  That's setting your team up for failure.  At most this situation might come up 3 times a game.  It's not worth thinking about. 

1 minute ago, #84 said:

The "real" deep pass you're talking about is simply not a thing.  Over 30 yards the league accuracy percentage drops to 40%.  Remove Patrick Mahomes its far worse even than that.   Again saying we Ryan has a weakness on throws over 30 yards or as you put it true deep throws is silly.  No one is good or accurate on them except to a small degree Mahomes.  It'd be like saying running is a weakness for Julio because Usian Bolt can dust him in a race. 

If you expect accuracy beyond 30 yards you're quite frankly talking about nothing.  Also you don't design plays that involve throwing 30 plus yards down field.  That's setting your team up for failure.  At most this situation might come up 3 times a game.  It's not worth thinking about. 

It may not be a stat thing, but it's a thing in the minds of the fans. They know a 'deep ball' when they see one, and that's what they're talking about for the most part. I'm not weighing in on Ryan one way or another. It's just that Ridley being #1 doesn't speak at all to Ryan's 'deep ball' capacity at all, because you won't find any fan that thinks 20 yards is a deep ball. Like I said in my previous post, they're mostly talking about the bomb type passes when they say that. 

4 minutes ago, fuego said:

It may not be a stat thing, but it's a thing in the minds of the fans. They know a 'deep ball' when they see one, and that's what they're talking about for the most part. I'm not weighing in on Ryan one way or another. It's just that Ridley being #1 doesn't speak at all to Ryan's 'deep ball' capacity at all, because you won't find any fan that thinks 20 yards is a deep ball. Like I said in my previous post, they're mostly talking about the bomb type passes when they say that. 

Even still, the OP didn't mention Matt Ryan. He just posted the stat. The stat is a good stat and Ridley was number one in it. It's impressive to be number 1 in a positive stat.

3 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Since when is 20 yards a deep pass? Some of yall act like people Say Ryan can’t throw it beyond 10 yards. The problem is when Ryan does his punt passes when trying to go deep beyond 40 yards. 

I’ve always felt that Matt Ryan is an above average QB with below average arm talent. He works around his weaknesses well, but there are weaknesses. 

3 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Even still, the OP didn't mention Matt Ryan. He just posted the stat. The stat is a good stat and Ridley was number one in it. It's impressive to be number 1 in a positive stat.

For sure. I wasn't arguing that at all. I was just saying that didn't really say anything about Ryan's deep ball ability since a poster told "all you Ryan haters kiss off". But looking back on the OP since you mentioned it, I see the the person that posted that wasn't really responding to any deep ball comment, just the OP. My bad. lol. 

What happened was that somebody else did and I connected to that comment which I shouldn't have. :tiphat:

5 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Matt Ryan had most 20+ yard attempts in NFL. Ryan Tannehill had almost half of those 20+ attempts compared to Matt. Expect to see those go down with AS calling the plays.

Maybe Tannehill struggles with deeper reads.

42 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

I’ve always felt that Matt Ryan is an above average QB with below average arm talent. He works around his weaknesses well, but there are weaknesses. 

Matt Ryan's arm strength isn't below average. Never has been below average. People just think that because it's not Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Matt Ryan's arm strength isn't below average. Never has been below average. People just think that because it's not Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers.

We certainly agree. I'm not even sure he has someone like Tannehill beat when it comes to pure arm talent. Still a huge fan of his, but something as always looked a bit off when he has to go 40+ yards downfield.

Edited by NashvilleFalcon01

14 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

We certainly agree. I'm not even sure he has someone like Tannehill beat when it comes to pure arm talent. Still a huge fan of his, but something as always looked a bit off when he has to go 40+ yards downfield.

What exactly does this mean?

44 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

You just made that part up. Anything 40+ yard is a 25-30% ball in NFL. Ryan from 2016-2019 is the only QB with top 5 deep ball accuracy every year. 

1 hour ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Lmao. This is dumbest comment I read in a while. 

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Matt Ryan had most 20+ yard attempts in NFL. Ryan Tannehill had almost half of those 20+ attempts compared to Matt. Expect to see those go down with AS calling the plays.

I still expect Ryan to do his thing. He’s a great passer. Much better than tannehill. I think they’ll do like what KS did and implement a balanced running game while giving Ryan opportunities to strike and bomb his passes. We passed so much with DK we never had running game threat. We just had to hope Ridley out routed his man or someone got so so Ryan just threw it up before getting clobbered. I think we’ll also See more RAC yards than in years prior with that new threat and balance running attack. 

30 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

Not nearly as much zip on those throws compared to other quarterbacks I’ve watched throw them. 

29 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

I’m not making that up, but okay. 

You. Just did again. Lol.
Zip has nothing to do with accuracy. Byron Leftwich had zip and the Hot dog vendors in stands  had career year catching his passes. 

5 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I still expect Ryan to do his thing. He’s a great passer. Much better than tannehill. I think they’ll do like what KS did and implement a balanced running game while giving Ryan opportunities to strike and bomb his passes. We passed so much with DK we never had running game threat. We just had to hope Ridley out routed his man or someone got so so Ryan just threw it up before getting clobbered. I think we’ll also See more RAC yards than in years prior with that new threat and balance running attack. 

I want to see quick throws and fewer high percentage deep throws. 

1 hour ago, FalconBlood said:

Maybe Tannehill struggles with deeper reads.

Titans Offense couldn’t hold for longer time. AS protected Tannehill with quick passes. A concept which is alien to DK. 

Thats just shows that we were always playing catch up or losing a lead because the defense sucks. If the defense was playing better there wouldn't be a need to through the ball that deep all time to play catch. On that note thought his route running is elite 

53 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

You. Just did again. Lol.
Zip has nothing to do with accuracy. Byron Leftwich had zip and the Hot dog vendors in stands  had career year catching his passes. 

I wasn’t trying to imply that zip equals accuracy or that it was more important. I just think there’s times when the ball hangs up in the air a pinch long. 

11 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Curious. Is that a function of the scheme or do you think tannehill chose the check down or short throws more often than not? I find it hard to believe that AS simply doesn’t have routes built into his play calling that spreads the field.