Jump to content

Arthur Smith on progress with players during OTAs, prepping for minicamp


Recommended Posts

Interesting to learn Jake Matthews gave Hennessy a thumbs up for his handling of center duties. Still think the competition for C will be tough, as Smith did mention. It was amusing how Smith just would not allow the press to make him comment on any one individual. He would quickly include everybody else and kept it moving along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it’s patently obvious that he’s already trained them on the dumbazz Julio questions.  We went from like 5 attempts the last presser down to one that was sort of a camp question.  
The Ditz in her car had nothing prepared worth a hoot so she asked a stupid question that was answered with one syllable... No.  Then looked around the room for the next question.  I like the fact that these blood suckers are not really his friends.  His style is dry and TF’s style is more animated & yet both will cut you down to the stalk when you cross the line between need to know & none of your business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also liked the fact that they don’t make assumptions about how much a player may or may not know.  So the approach is to begin from the ground up with fundamentals as if nobody there understands anything.  This is smart cuz people, especially vets, would be hard pressed to ask a question if they thought to themselves that they should have already learned it.  Given the previous regime’s failure to teach, it’s probably a wise move to start from scratch.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Well it’s patently obvious that he’s already trained them on the dumbazz Julio questions.  We went from like 5 attempts the last presser down to one that was sort of a camp question.  
The Ditz in her car had nothing prepared worth a hoot so she asked a stupid question that was answered with one syllable... No.  Then looked around the room for the next question.  I like the fact that these blood suckers are not really his friends.  His style is dry and TF’s style is more animated & yet both will cut you down to the stalk when you cross the line between need to know & none of your business. 

Yeah, all the schmoozing that went on with the last regime had gotten out of hand. I like this 'I kill you' approach to the pressers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Well it’s patently obvious that he’s already trained them on the dumbazz Julio questions.  We went from like 5 attempts the last presser down to one that was sort of a camp question.  
The Ditz in her car had nothing prepared worth a hoot so she asked a stupid question that was answered with one syllable... No.  Then looked around the room for the next question.  I like the fact that these blood suckers are not really his friends.  His style is dry and TF’s style is more animated & yet both will cut you down to the stalk when you cross the line between need to know & none of your business. 

yeah like ledbetter asked terry a question during post draft presser and terry was like what do you think? or something along those lines i just smiled and shook my head in approval.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Yeah, all the schmoozing that went on with the last regime had gotten out of hand. I like this 'I kill you' approach to the pressers. 

Me too.  It’s sort of a cross between being cautious & his matter of fact personality.

Did you catch that comment about not using fancy buzz words?  He was basically saying that he’s not DQ in any way, shape or form.  Not focusing one bit on being liked. But rather getting results.

The players are still uncomfortable you can tell.  That’s a very good sign.  Because all DQ is about was making players comfortable & pleasing them so that they liked him.  That’s not the dam job of a coach.  That doesn’t mean you have to be an a-hole either.

You can still have the heart of a teacher.  But it’s clear the vets are there to do their dam jobs or lose it.  DQ sucked up to vets to the point of nausea.  Half of them weren’t performing to a high standard & players weren’t given any real opportunities to compete & advance through the ranks.

AS is a decent caring man, but there’ll be no more free rides in Flowery Branch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

yeah like ledbetter asked terry a question during post draft presser and terry was like what do you think? or something along those lines i just smiled and shook my head in approval.

And that is an excellent way to handle it.  It has the effect of challenging the media to think about their questions beforehand & better their craft.  Sometimes I like Dleds questions which is what confounds me.  Most of the time he interjects his personal feelings & it doesn’t end well for him.  He needs to step up his professionalism.  The AJC is to blame because nobody there holds their reporters to a higher standard it seems.  Ledbetter should have been replaced years ago for years of sub par work.  But I think he’s capable of it tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

And that is an excellent way to handle it.  It has the effect of challenging the media to think about their questions beforehand & better their craft.  Sometimes I like Dleds questions which is what confounds me.  Most of the time he interjects his personal feelings & it doesn’t end well for him.  He needs to step up his professionalism.  The AJC is to blame because nobody there holds their reporters to a higher standard it seems.  Ledbetter should have been replaced years ago for years of sub par work.  But I think he’s capable of it tbh.

Yeah man they have time to think about their questions and be ready. I would have 15 to 20 ready just incase someone ask something simular...... i thank dled cause he didnt ask a julio question... like why are they still asking that? Hes not gonn give you anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

I like how they are able to listen to DLed ask a question without visibly cringing. When that dude starts talking, it's almost like I have a mini seizure.

 

Did you ever hear Sen. Johnson wince?' |

I have to mute the volume every time he speaks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

I like how they are able to listen to DLed ask a question without visibly cringing. When that dude starts talking, it's almost like I have a mini seizure.

 

Did you ever hear Sen. Johnson wince?' |

I’m pretty sure Dled’s side hustle is doing the voice of Barney, the drunk on The Simpsons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

I like how they are able to listen to DLed ask a question without visibly cringing. When that dude starts talking, it's almost like I have a mini seizure.

 

Did you ever hear Sen. Johnson wince?' |

everytime he asks a question i either smile or laugh out loud... When he speaks, i think its a joke reporter like "Stuttering John" from Howard Stern or something. haha I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

And that is an excellent way to handle it.  It has the effect of challenging the media to think about their questions beforehand & better their craft.  Sometimes I like Dleds questions which is what confounds me.  Most of the time he interjects his personal feelings & it doesn’t end well for him.  He needs to step up his professionalism.  The AJC is to blame because nobody there holds their reporters to a higher standard it seems.  Ledbetter should have been replaced years ago for years of sub par work.  But I think he’s capable of it tbh.

yeah for sure i tolerate him but terrence moore and shultz i dont deal with them at all its especially moore its always some mocking stuff about the falcons like not to long ago he did a video talking about kyle pitts and of course he just came off like a child 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

I haven’t watched the whole thing yet but it’s hilarious how as soon as DLed gets called on Arthur has to hold back a smile lmao

2:30

It really is hilarious how this new staff does not take him that seriously and is always clowning on him. Makes me like them more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Interesting to learn Jake Matthews gave Hennessy a thumbs up for his handling of center duties. Still think the competition for C will be tough, as Smith did mention. It was amusing how Smith just would not allow the press to make him comment on any one individual. He would quickly include everybody else and kept it moving along.

I'm glad to see that there is competition for Center, hopefully we’ll be getting a legit starter as the result of two guys fighting for the position. Smith isn’t going to let the media play him; his answers were purposely vague, and in a sense, condescending toward the media. I get the sense that he is going to be either a very good HC, or someone who flames out like Jim Scwhartz did as Detroits HC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...