How are you feeling about the Falcons secondary going into 2021?

I don't understand the statements of, well Pees is going to this, and we're going to be better with better coaching.

That statement makes no sense in a discussion about the level of the unit. It applies equally to every position group on the roster. If a position group would be graded a C before, it doesn't become an A because Pees is here, while this other position group that was a B, is still a B. 

If a position group appears lacking in depth, it's lacking in depth. Who the coach is doesn't affect that fact.

I expect every unit to perform better with better coaching, but the secondary is still a glaring deficiency on the roster. It's still the weakest area depth wise, and isn't even mediocre unless a whole bunch of stuff happens.

So basically we're supposed to just hope that Terrell takes the next step, our new safeties both work out and are solid, Oliver continues to develop into a solid NCB, Moreau shows to be this solid #2 that just never got his fair chance, and we have no injuries whatsoever, since, with a single injury, none of that matters.

4 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I'm not going to lie. I'm concerned about the Falcons secondary. I hope Dean Pees can figure something out.

4 hours ago, Geneaut said:

I'm hoping Pees can do something with them. A lot of turnover and so many new faces makes it hard to really make a reasoned evaluation. I'm guardingly optimistic but lets face it this bunch is untested and unproven for the most part.

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Bad.

The Falcons don't have a pass rush that can make up for it.

Basically people are just hoping Pees can perform magic.

4 hours ago, Jesus said:

Awesome. 

Look whenever the team signs or resigns a vet at a high price everyone complains that you can't win with spending too much money on one position. This group is cheap.

The secondary is young and hungry.  Terrell and Grant are two strong building blocks. Get excited. This season is going to be fun.

I believe our CBs were handicapped by an inferior scheme they did not understand because the scheme made no sense.   Result:  lack of confidence in our HC.  Which made our defenders tentative and lacking in confidence.

It did not help that our D spent too much time on the field because we had no run game to speak of.  Or much of a pass rush.

Fact is.... no one knows exactly what we have in our secondary.  Pees says he saw speed and willingness to hit.  Pees says he can work with that, so we'll see.

As far as vets goes.... Dennard is out there, so is Blidi Wreh-Wilson.  Both are over 30, but would do in stopgap roles if necessary.

Our secondary was AJT trying his hardest, busting his bee-hind, and 3 dudes watching the game.  He’s the only one who deserves a snap next season. Other than the rookie our seconds was a dumpster fire, inexcusable.  Doing my best to edit!  But c’mon, it’s ok to get your uniform dirty in the NFL. 

I think AJ will blow it up now that he’s past his rookie year. Can’t wait. He’s gonna be a star. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I'm not going to lie. I'm concerned about the Falcons secondary. I hope Dean Pees can figure something out.

I believe the secondary will be the test of the theory of AS's fitting the system to the players philosophy. It seems to me we have a ball aggressive personnel group, so maybe that will be the focus of our secondary. Kind of a gambling but winning risky business thing. 😮

Edited by nutsandbolts

3 hours ago, hjerry said:

I don't understand the statements of, well Pees is going to this, and we're going to be better with better coaching.

That statement makes no sense in a discussion about the level of the unit. It applies equally to every position group on the roster. If a position group would be graded a C before, it doesn't become an A because Pees is here, while this other position group that was a B, is still a B. 

If a position group appears lacking in depth, it's lacking in depth. Who the coach is doesn't affect that fact.

I expect every unit to perform better with better coaching, but the secondary is still a glaring deficiency on the roster. It's still the weakest area depth wise, and isn't even mediocre unless a whole bunch of stuff happens.

So basically we're supposed to just hope that Terrell takes the next step, our new safeties both work out and are solid, Oliver continues to develop into a solid NCB, Moreau shows to be this solid #2 that just never got his fair chance, and we have no injuries whatsoever, since, with a single injury, none of that matters.

Yea. A lot of times it’s really just that simple. If they were an F last year, and they were, Pees can get them to a C/C- and I’m happy with that. If history has shown us that his defenses have been good wherever he’s been I have to go with the common denominator. Him. As a hands on guy yes it does make a difference. And what they lack he will make up for with creative blitzes from any and every where. That’s what you do until you can get the until playing on all cylinders. Again, I’ve watched too much football to know a defense can go from worst to first with the same players  but different coach. Houston did it with phillips. And I don’t think it’s lack of talent. It’s attention to detail and doing it the right way.

Quinn’s defenses were not very detail oriented. That’s why they’d give up a 3rd and 29 while playing sticks like they did against Philly at home. You can take average players that pay attention to detail and have a decent defense. I don’t expect them to be top 10 but I do except them to not be bottom 5 as well. Give me 18-25 and that’s improvement. And if the offense is humming you can win games with that. 

AJ played well in man and looked lost in zone. Like they all did during the Quinn era. He was a very sticky corner in man last year. Oliver was MUCH improved in the slot and when playing man. I’ve said for YEEEEEARS they play better in MAN!! Look up old posts. Pees excels at man on the backend. I have to believe I’m his first year playing that style they can at LEAST play efficient and not have the brain farts they had in Quinn’s system. 

1 hour ago, 4dabirds said:

The secondary sucked last year, and can go nowhere but up, IMO. I think the new coaching staff will find a way to make the unit better, as will the pass rush. 

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Yea. A lot of times it’s really just that simple. If they were an F last year, and they were, Pees can get them to a C/C- and I’m happy with that. If history has shown us that his defenses have been good wherever he’s been I have to go with the common denominator. Him. As a hands on guy yes it does make a difference. And what they lack he will make up for with creative blitzes from any and every where. That’s what you do until you can get the until playing on all cylinders. Again, I’ve watched too much football to know a defense can go from worst to first with the same players  but different coach. Houston did it with phillips. And I don’t think it’s lack of talent. It’s attention to detail and doing it the right way.

Quinn’s defenses were not very detail oriented. That’s why they’d give up a 3rd and 29 while playing sticks like they did against Philly at home. You can take average players that pay attention to detail and have a decent defense. I don’t expect them to be top 10 but I do except them to not be bottom 5 as well. Give me 18-25 and that’s improvement. And if the offense is humming you can win games with that. 

AJ played well in man and looked lost in zone. Like they all did during the Quinn era. He was a very sticky corner in man last year. Oliver was MUCH improved in the slot and when playing man. I’ve said for YEEEEEARS they play better in MAN!! Look up old posts. Pees excels at man on the backend. I have to believe I’m his first year playing that style they can at LEAST play efficient and not have the brain farts they had in Quinn’s system. 

I don't want a C that becomes an F with one injury. Sign another vet

10 hours ago, hjerry said:

erform better with better coaching, but the secondary is still a glaring deficiency on the roster. It's still the weakest area depth wise, and isn't even mediocre unless a whole bunch of stuff happens.

Unfortunately I don't think this is true. lol

The "defense"?...as a whole should be a concern.

The secondary LOL that's just 1 part of the broken body.

Seriously, I've had my share of cussing out the TV everytime the secondary give up a 3rd n long.

I honestly think they should take the route of the Peyton Manning Colts and build a glass cannon team.

score 67 points and give up 40.

A little sarcastic but im honest.

On 6/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, egoprime II said:

I believe our CBs were handicapped by an inferior scheme they did not understand because the scheme made no sense.   Result:  lack of confidence in our HC.  Which made our defenders tentative and lacking in confidence.

It did not help that our D spent too much time on the field because we had no run game to speak of.  Or much of a pass rush.

Fact is.... no one knows exactly what we have in our secondary.  Pees says he saw speed and willingness to hit.  Pees says he can work with that, so we'll see.

As far as vets goes.... Dennard is out there, so is Blidi Wreh-Wilson.  Both are over 30, but would do in stopgap roles if necessary.

that weird side step scheme DQ taught seemed to be unpopular. I think Oliver improves alot in a new scheme. Dude was pretty polished coming out and I think the scheme killed his confidence.

On 6/2/2021 at 11:05 AM, Jesus said:

Awesome. 

Look whenever the team signs or resigns a vet at a high price everyone complains that you can't win with spending too much money on one position. This group is cheap.

The secondary is young and hungry.  Terrell and Grant are two strong building blocks. Get excited. This season is going to be fun.

Less explosive offense giving a young defense more feild time, and you say fun?? 

Nahhh lol 

Better pray Peas can turn Grady and fowler into donald and mack 🤷🏿😅

6 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

that weird side step scheme DQ taught seemed to be unpopular. I think Oliver improves alot in a new scheme. Dude was pretty polished coming out and I think the scheme killed his confidence.

I swear, Dan Quinn had to be one of the most stubborn coaches ever.   He hardly ever blitzed.... asked his DBs to play this passive scheme which no defender ever wants to do.... his buddy approach made him look foolish.  'Brotherhood' indeed...

Rich McKay reportedly talked Blank out of firing Quinn after the 2019 season.  McKay also hired Bobby Petrino.   Seems to me McKay should perhaps exempt himself when it comes to coaching decisions.  The man isn't very good in that area.