Jump to content

How are you feeling about the Falcons secondary going into 2021?


Recommended Posts

Awesome. 

Look whenever the team signs or resigns a vet at a high price everyone complains that you can't win with spending too much money on one position. This group is cheap.

The secondary is young and hungry.  Terrell and Grant are two strong building blocks. Get excited. This season is going to be fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Harmon/Neal is a wash. Not great, not terrible. Somewhere inbetween.
  • Grant is hopefully >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Allen
  • Terrell Year 2 should be better than year 1.
  • Oliver showed down towards the end he can play effective as the Nickel and hopefully continues to improve

The only thing we really need is a #2 which I would assume currently will be a training camp/preseason competition between Moreau, Sheffield and Hall if we don't sign anyone between now and then.

Add Pees system and I would say I am about a 5 out of 10 right now. Add a solid veteran #2 CB and I'd go up to about a 7.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm very optimistic about the secondary. It was mostly a dumpster fire last season; it has to improve just from having a highly successful, veteran coordinator taking the reins and bringing some order, a more aggressive scheme, open competition for spots and accountability for those who win starter jobs.

Pees has said his scheme will be very simple: get after the QB from any and all 11 defensive positions, and keep things simple on the back end so players aren't just lost in space like happened so often in the last couple of seasons. This secondary is not going to get run off the field and this defense isn't going to embarrass us. Especially by the end of the season it's going to be a tough, battle-hardened unit ready for anybody.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

I think the secondary is going to be better than expected.

 

Pees likes to build his defenses from the backend to the front.

I cant wait to see what grant brings to the table. With decent coverage the rush can get there. Between fowler, foye and jones, plus the tui kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

I'm very optimistic about the secondary. It was mostly a dumpster fire last season; it has to improve just from having a highly successful, veteran coordinator taking the reins and bringing some order, a more aggressive scheme, open competition for spots and accountability for those who win starter jobs.

Pees has said his scheme will be very simple: get after the QB from any and all 11 defensive positions, and keep things simple on the back end so players aren't just lost in space like happened so often in the last couple of seasons. This secondary is not going to get run off the field and this defense isn't going to embarrass us. Especially by the end of the season it's going to be a tough, battle-hardened unit ready for anybody.

 

Idk, maybe we can play alot of cover zero and hope for the best.. We can have a decent run defense maybe.. But im definitely concerned about our backfield.. My best guess is well play alot of sloppy zone.. Dont believe we have anyone id be comfortable running man coverage 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Idk, maybe we can play alot of cover zero and hope for the best.. We can have a decent run defense maybe.. But im definitely concerned about our backfield.. My best guess is well play alot of sloppy zone.. Dont believe we have anyone id be comfortable running man coverage 

Pees has been at his craft for many moons. He will figure out how to take the players he has and give them assignments that won't overwhelm them. It will be zone, but hopefully not DQ sloppy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PokerSteve said:

Pees has been at his craft for many moons. He will figure out how to take the players he has and give them assignments that won't overwhelm them. It will be zone, but hopefully not DQ sloppy.

Also they came in here knowing that these guys weren't coached well the last few years. Crack down and get them in line. It won't be hard. Even these athletes are pros.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Also they came in here knowing that these guys weren't coached well the last few years. Crack down and get them in line. It won't be hard. Even these athletes are pros.

I've heard Pees saying he liked the idea of having so many young players. He doesn't have to un-teach them anything or try to get them out of a lot of entrenched bad habits. He'll quickly have this young D playing with some attitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Also they came in here knowing that these guys weren't coached well the last few years. Crack down and get them in line. It won't be hard. Even these athletes are pros.

For real. Looking at it from the end its madness to see the success we had with the lack of discipline the team had.

It just amplifies what the offensive coordinator did in 16.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, red falcon said:

For real. Looking at it from the end its madness to see the success we had with the lack of discipline the team had.

It just amplifies what the offensive coordinator did in 16.  

The Super Bowl is a perfect example of Quinn taking the team off the rails. How in the heck could they not get one stop?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The Super Bowl is a perfect example of Quinn taking the team off the rails. How in the heck could they not get one stop?

Yeah bro i agree. Its sickening. Its like he could not wake up in the moment. Weeks to prepare. Was just a spectator along for the ride. 

Edited by red falcon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

And i believe he can build a defense.. But itll take a few seasons to get the guys he needs.. Just hope our fan base doesn't melt down if we look pretty clueless this season.. We just don't have the talent right now 

Not necessarily. Every corner on the roster can play man to man. Cover 3 was their issue. If you think about Quinn’s defense they were better at what? Man to man. And you’ve probably seen me say I why don’t they just stay in man? 2016 the defense clamped down when Quinn took over and they played man more. Last year they were better in man. So no I don’t believe they are 2 or 3 seasons away on the backend. Because they can all play man to man. Oliver is MUCH better in man because that’s what he was in college. An aggressive defense like pees has that likes to blitz and play man on the backend actually plays into the strength of what the corners can play. I’ve watched enough football to know that a defense can go from worst to first in one season with the same players. Not saying they will be top 10 but I believe they will be better playing to their strength which is man. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The Super Bowl is a perfect example of Quinn taking the team off the rails. How in the heck could they not get one stop?

Because they switched from what was working the entire game. They went from man to zone and Brady proceeded to pick them apart. And he switched because they were tired. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, FalconDiddly18 said:

We're only 3 good corners and 2 good safeties away from having an elite secondary.

Wich adds up to more than the total of functional brain cells not altered by the synthetic dope ur huffing in your bong.

:lol:

Ok, JK, but please humor us a bit more brother.  That’s like some really dire **** bro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...