Marcell Ozuna arrested for aggravated assault and domestic violence

K26dp

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

They may not be able to void the contract but he forfeits any salary while he is suspended...which will almost certainly happen.

He is not going to play again this year. If he forfeits it....are the braves still on the hook for it?

No. It just goes away. But years the 3 years after this one is where the Braves are screwed at unless they pull a Yankees and decide to keep him and play him next year. That will not sit well with me if it happens.

Of course this is the same franchise that turned a blind eye to Bobby Cox punching his wife in 1995. Someone just told me about that on Twitter and I had to go look it up. I was only 8 years old when that happened so I wasn't aware of it at the time. Pains me to know Bobby hit his wife as much as I loved him when he was manager, that and he looked like my Papa so that was cool. After going back and reading about what Bobby did now I feel extremely bad that I ever loved him the way I did. I'm torn. But violence of any kind against women is unacceptable. I saw my dad hit my mom multiple times so it hits home with me. My wife and I have had our arguments but one thing I've never done is laid my hands on her or any other woman. There's no reason for it. Zero tolerance. I don't think Bobby having a statue is right. The Braves should get rid of it.

They also still adore AJ25 despite a situation with his wife back several years ago.

43 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

An important note in this. Because this falls under the Family Violence Act in Georgia the charges cannot be dropped by the victim. Hes being charged regardless. He'll have to plead for lesser charges or go down on the felony. 

When did Georgia pass that law? Every state should have that kind of law.

Well the Braves can't simply eat that money, they aren't the Dodgers so I guess he's the DH next year.

I prefer him to never be seen in a Braves uniform again but they tolerated Bobby and while Ozuna needs help let's not pretend his wife is any better.

I'm not going to sit here and condone domestic violence of any kind and am honestly sick of the spotlight always being fixated on men.

7 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Well the Braves can't simply eat that money, they aren't the Dodgers so I guess he's the DH next year.

I prefer him to never be seen in a Braves uniform again but they tolerated Bobby and while Ozuna needs help let's not pretend his wife is any better.

I'm not going to sit here and condone domestic violence of any kind and am honestly sick of the spotlight always being fixated on men.

If he does return im sure the Braves will really push for him to publicly go to therapy and do a lot of things for domestic violence charities and things like that. I dont see him just walking back in. Theres also the clubhouse factor. How do the other 25 guys feel about him now?

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I think we as a society in general are not forgiving enough. Now that doesn't mean murders, rapists, wife beaters, etc. should be out in public and not be in prison, but in general we need to realize no one is ever too far gone. People are allowed to come back and change for the better. One mistake may cost you in some ways, but it shouldn't completely devalue you as a human being. Our society is really terrible about that.

I would probably prefer him not play for the Braves again either, but I also could understand if they wanted to give him a second chance to show he can be better. 

5 minutes ago, Born Again Georgian said:

I didn’t really notice today, but did the Braves stop doing that “mix it up” celebration they’ve been doing?  If I’m not mistaken, Ozuna brought that here right?

They stopped mix it up and the end game outfield selfie entirely. He started both.

They did the aggressive chop that Heredia always does instead which honestly im a fan of.

But rough that so many kids loved mix it up and now have to be told to stop, but life lesson opportunity. Hit people, pay the price.

My guess on how this goes down:

1. MLB investigation will last about 1 month.
2. Commissioner will suspend Ozuna w/o pay for the maximum allowed under CBA, which I think is 162 games
3. Ozuna will plead to the lesser battery charge to get the felony dropped. He'll be sentenced to a fine and 1 year probation to include mandatory counselling and community service
4. Ozuna will be reinstated around mid-season next year; by that time the Braves and Ozuna will have already negotiated a buy-out of the remaining 2.5 years of the contract 
5. Ozuna will be released
6. Ozuna will be signed by the Yankees, Astros, or some other team that is A-OK with domestic violence

Ken Rosenthal pointed out that the Mets tried to basically void K-Rods contract after his fight with a relative led to charges. They settled on lesser amount. The recent drama between the Mets and Cespedes led them again to try and wiggle out from his contract. That turned into a settlement for less money as well. So history would tell us a settlement is likely coming. The Braves will save money during his suspension and they'll cut a deal for a percentage of his remaining money to make him go away.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

My guess on how this goes down:

1. MLB investigation will last about 1 month.
2. Commissioner will suspend Ozuna w/o pay for the maximum allowed under CBA, which I think is 162 games
3. Ozuna will plead to the lesser battery charge to get the felony dropped. He'll be sentenced to a fine and 1 year probation to include mandatory counselling and community service
4. Ozuna will be reinstated around mid-season next year; by that time the Braves and Ozuna will have already negotiated a buy-out of the remaining 2.5 years of the contract 
5. Ozuna will be released
6. Ozuna will be signed by the Yankees, Astros, or some other team that is A-OK with domestic violence

Oof. I felt the fire and passion on that one

45 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Details emerging. . . Ozuna is still in big trouble, but it sounds like Mrs. O was brandishing a knife.  

As I always tell my boys, whatever you do, don’t marry crazy. . .

https://www.outkick.com/more-details-emerging-from-marcell-ozuna-domestic-abuse-situation/

They have a long violent history apparently. Her arrest for domestic violence last year seems to not be an isolated experience but more of a glimpse into what their relationship was/is.

1 hour ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Details emerging. . . Ozuna is still in big trouble, but it sounds like Mrs. O was brandishing a knife.  

As I always tell my boys, whatever you do, don’t marry crazy. . .

https://www.outkick.com/more-details-emerging-from-marcell-ozuna-domestic-abuse-situation/

After reading it, I don’t think much changes. She grabbed the knife in self defense so yeah lol

52 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

After reading it, I don’t think much changes. She grabbed the knife in self defense so yeah lol

Did he attack her before she grabbed the knife, or did she threaten him with the knife and he went after her before she took a swipe at him?   That’s the critical part. Given their history I could see either being the case

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

26 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Did he attack her before she grabbed the knife, or did she threaten him with the knife and he went after her before she took a swipe at him?   That’s the critical part. Given their history I could see either being the case

In this case they're both clearly in the wrong and both should be charged, at least from what I'm understanding. Especially given her history of involvement in this deal.

On 5/31/2021 at 3:28 PM, Unknøwn said:

An important note in this. Because this falls under the Family Violence Act in Georgia the charges cannot be dropped by the victim. Hes being charged regardless. He'll have to plead for lesser charges or go down on the felony. 

Unrelated but Coach k is retiring after this year.  I’m sure you’ve heard but just in case

4 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, I had a feeling it was coming. I dont think hes been fully in it the last couple of years. I'm excited for Scheyer. Hes a high IQ guy and tremendous recruiter 

I didn’t know Scheyer was on staff. I would have thought Capel might have been in the mix too. 

2 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I didn’t know Scheyer was on staff. I would have thought Capel might have been in the mix too. 

Scheyer has been on staff since 2014. He was promoted to assistant HC a few years ago. A few years ago I would have absolutely said Capel. However it became clear that Scheyer was being groomed by K. Thats part of his retirement, he gets to hand the keys to Jon.