Dean Pees cleaning out DQ's Historic Trash Slow starter Defense could be the most important part of 2021 season.

51 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Itll take a few years to purge this talentless defense before any coach can make it respected.. Im not even sure Pees has enough years left on this earth to see this team aquire decent talent.. I know you have football knowledge so im not telling you anything you dont already know.. But please dont add fuel to some of these guys fires believing Pees is going to fix our defense in just one season 🙈

DP thinks there is talent. Obviously the guys weren’t prepared to line up. It’s on coaching for most part.

5 hours ago, falcons007 said:

DP thinks there is talent. Obviously the guys weren’t prepared to line up. It’s on coaching for most part.

Dean Pees is old school and  knows what it takes to organically build a defense.  Take what you have and build it to the strengths of what is there.  It sounds so easy, yet is a master class in knowing your art.

50 minutes ago, Williamb said:

And, slowly exiting cap h*** accompanied by 1 or 2 really good draft classes frees this team to manufacture a really good defense. We have to trust the minds doing the work right now, and I think they're really good at what they do.

Checker players out + Chess players in = CHAMPIONSHIP!! :slick:

12 hours ago, Williamb said:

I agree. These guys aren't playing. They have a plan and aren't just throwing crap against the wall.

They most certainly have been following a blueprint.  I'll give them credit for that.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:54 PM, dirtybirds233 said:

Like when Campbell said 'we didn't take them seriously' in reference to the 2018 loss to the Browns. That falls on the HC right there. 

As I said in another thread, Quinn just wanted to be buddies with the players which led to a complete lack of discipline. Players would f-up and Quinn would be waiting on the sideline to fist bump them. 

I was in shock when Quinn allowed his staff to run wild during the championship, as he watched the worst collapse in Super Bowl history.  It pointed to his lack of leadership and downright stupidity.  

I, like many of us, took the loss hard, but came back the next season with hope.

It was Campbell's remark that finally opened my eyes to Quinn's ineptitude.  Without a doubt, Quinn is a moron and I hope the Cowboys take years to realize that.  

On 5/28/2021 at 8:15 PM, ltstorm2 said:

I'm going to chalk this up to optimism in a new regime because this board was saying that Mike Smith was too hard on his players and that they were scared to make a mistake and were praising Quinn for having a more loose coaching style.  Now, the board is saying the team needs more discipline.

Actually, I was among those that praised Smitty for the way he instilled discipline (post-Vick/Petrino).  Smitty's problem was that he lacked creativity.  In his effort to overcome the chaotic culture under Jr, he became inflexible.  Opposing teams would review tape and know exactly what we were going to do.  

Let's hope AS can re-instill discipline and preparation, while enacting game plans that adapt and keep the opposition guessing.  

On 5/28/2021 at 9:19 PM, PokerSteve said:

Agree completely. Dan Quinn and his entire staff were mostly hot garbage with the exception of Kyle Shanahan.

I've been watching pro football since I was a kid and I've never seen anything comparable to the pathetic, complete disarray of the Falcons defense in the Quinn era. It was literally a comedic farce.

That's all over with the hiring of AS and TF. They're a perfect match for what we needed. AS can resurrect the Shannie offense which is the best scheme for us.

Fontie is the brilliant disciple of one of the craftiest GM's in the NFC. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of every team in our division and has a gift for coming up with high-value, low-priced FA's.

I've said it a bunch of times already, the bad times are over. It's going to be fun watching the Falcons play football again. And I'm hoping that starts right now, this year, not two or three years down the road.

Coaching in the NFL is a difficult and highly competitive job.  Heck, there are less than 100 HC, OC and DC positions available!

To be a successful HC, OC or DC, you have to have abundant knowledge of the game, be a good teacher and have the intellect to constantly adapt, even when things are going well.  

Historically, the Falcons have had poor coaching.  Just in the past 20 years, we have had Mora Jr, Petrino, Smitty and Quinn.  Of that group, Smitty was the smartest.  That should tell you something about how bad things have been (and I could go on and on about the past 40 years).  

That is why we have wasted mountains of talent over the years.  And why we have never won a championship.  

I hope that you are right about this new regime.  I am of a certain age and father time is lurking about.  

3 hours ago, etherdome said:

I was in shock when Quinn allowed his staff to run wild during the championship, as he watched the worst collapse in Super Bowl history.  It pointed to his lack of leadership and downright stupidity.  

I, like many of us, took the loss hard, but came back the next season with hope.

It was Campbell's remark that finally opened my eyes to Quinn's ineptitude.  Without a doubt, Quinn is a moron and I hope the Cowboys take years to realize that.  

What did Campbell say? I might have missed that.

8 hours ago, etherdome said:

Coaching in the NFL is a difficult and highly competitive job.  Heck, there are less than 100 HC, OC and DC positions available!

To be a successful HC, OC or DC, you have to have abundant knowledge of the game, be a good teacher and have the intellect to constantly adapt, even when things are going well.  

Historically, the Falcons have had poor coaching.  Just in the past 20 years, we have had Mora Jr, Petrino, Smitty and Quinn.  Of that group, Smitty was the smartest.  That should tell you something about how bad things have been (and I could go on and on about the past 40 years).  

That is why we have wasted mountains of talent over the years.  And why we have never won a championship.  

I hope that you are right about this new regime.  I am of a certain age and father time is lurking about.  

I freely admit I was hyped about the hiring of Dan Quinn. He was one of the most sought-after HC candidates at that time, and he had SB credentials as the Seahawks DC. I made the erroneous assumption Quinn was the mastermind behind the LOB, not the caretaker whose main job was to cheerlead and stay tf out of the way.

My enthusiasm for Arthur Smith has a much more credible base because he's coming from a coordinator position where he was the actually creator and hands-on tactician of the Titan offensive system. As a plus, he has gotten this team the best DC its maybe ever had in Dean Pees.

You know Arthur Smith is a special kind of HC because Pees came out of retirement to go to war with him at a time when most his age would just put their feet up and rest on their laurels. That only reinforces the feeling I have that this new regime ~ at long last ~ is The Real Deal after 50+ years of ownership stumbling, bumbling and fumbling their Number One Job ~ bringing in top-level GM's, HC's and DC's so we could win a SB. 

On 5/28/2021 at 4:22 PM, Atlantafan21 said:

Those 5 weeks defenses were definitely the worst defenses I’ve seen of all time. Pretty sure we allowed like 6 consecutive quarters of drives that ended in points from the cardinals game to the Texans game in 2019. It won’t be difficult to do better than that. At least that’s what I hope lol. 

Still to this day I remember the game before we played the Titans, Mariota was sacked like 8 times, we sacked him 0 times 

On 5/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, HASHBROWN3 said:

My gosh we've had some crap for coaches.  If you can't get the players to perform their assignments then Get outta here!

No accountability whatsoever from a bunch of pathetic people pleaser coaches.  If you can't or won't learn your assignment, you are GONE.  If you're physically incapable of doing it then that's in a different category. 

We just might have had the worst staff in the NFL.  There has to be accountability in everything.  Sports, Business, Relationships... The coaches were out smarted & out schemed too.  They've been over their heads & I am thankful that TF & AS are now in charge.  I truly feel the right people are now in place to gradually work towards being a winner again.

Mr Quinn is the #1 person to blame. He is the one that turned the staff into a revolving door where every coach that came in quickly became scapegoated until the next one took his place the following year. There was no accaountability on the team because Quinn did everything he could to not take ownership of his failures, starting with the abysmal 2016 SB collapse. 

19 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Mr Quinn is the #1 person to blame. He is the one that turned the staff into a revolving door where every coach that came in quickly became scapegoated until the next one took his place the following year. There was no accaountability on the team because Quinn did everything he could to not take ownership of his failures, starting with the abysmal 2016 SB collapse. 

More wasted MR years.  What a rough stretch.  

On 5/28/2021 at 2:46 PM, NCFalconfan said:

I've been watching the Falcons for 40 years now and NEVER have i seen more confused players on defense than during Quinn's tenure.  Countless times we couldn't even get lined up before the ball was snapped. I'll be shocked if we don't see an immediate improvement.

The thing I never understood about this was Quinn's defense was supposed to be very simple. Don't give players to much to think about and just let them play.

That worked in Seattle where they all pros/HOFers at every level of the defense. But that's when you see talent overcome coaching.

Let's look at 2012 Dirk Koetter where he was working with 2 - 3 HOFers and looked like a genius.

Or every Raven's defensive coordinator when Ray Lewis was on the team. How many became head coaches? 5-6? How many were successful? Possibly 2 if you consider Rex Ryan making it to the AFC Championship game a success and Marvin Lewis' tenure in Cincinnati.

Ideally you want a coach that took a bunch of unknowns and turned them into something respectable.... like Mike Smith with the Jags who then did the same thing with the Falcons.

Let's not forget. Dan Quinn didn't develop the Seattle Defense. That was Gus Bradley. Quinn took over an established defense that just needed pass rushers and was given two good ones when he took over.... consequently this was when the Falcons were coming off an NFC Championship game and needed pass rushers badly. They responded by cutting their best pass rusher and replacing him with an aging veteran.