Dean Pees cleaning out DQ's Historic Trash Slow starter Defense could be the most important part of 2021 season.

6 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think DQ's success in Seattle was more tied to Carroll.

Quinn struggled in Atlanta because he tried to replicate what was done in Seattle instead of evolving into his own. He'll have to evolve his defense to have any chance of getting back on a successful track.

100% agree

53 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

Compare this to the final 5 games of the season please. 

Everyone keeps talking about how terrible the D is talent wise. But if you extrapolate the final 5 games over a season, the defense would be pretty good unless my eyes deceive me.

I'm actually interested in seeing this side by side to prove the Defensive personnel is better than most think.

Hopefully it doesn't mean that they are slow learners.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

The biggest problem for Falcons has been poor starts in first 5 games of the season. NFL odds of a winning season drop dramatically after a 1-4 start and almost impossible to make playoffs with 0-5 start. Falcons have NFL worst, 2-13 Record under DQ for first five games from 2018-2020.  The big part of the reason for starting slow has been. the historically worse defense during those first 5 weeks. 

Three year Historic dumpster D in first five weeks (2018-2020)

The defense wasn't just bad, it was historically one of. the worst. Two of those defenses in past 3 years rank in 3 of the worst defensive performances in franchise history (first five games). All three of the defenses in those years rank as top 25 all time worst defenses in the NFL.  Falcons had the worst ranked defense in almost all categories.

Points given up: 32 rank.

TD given up: 32 Rank

QB passer rating: 32 Rank

Sacks : 32

Total yards given up: 31

2020 Season: 

The 2020 season was supposedly going to be different with Raheem Morris and Ulbrich taking over the play calling.However, 2020 is the third worst 5 game defensive start in the franchise history.

TD: 32

Yards: 31. 

QB Passer rating: 32. 

Sacks : 29

The 2018 and 2019 seasons are no different with Falcons being worst in the NFL in most categories. 

Falcons lost multiple games scoring more than 30 points or 40 points during. that time frame. 

Falcons schedule is favorable in first 5 weeks. If Dean Pees has the defense playing average or better will go long way in starting 3-2 or 4-1. A fast start to the season will help AS, and the falcons to stay relevant in January. 

Pees is teaching players to be smart and understand their roles and concepts. Hopefully Falcons would never have to see this garbage again. 

Everyone blames talent on this, I blame coaching. If this isn’t tolerated in camp, the player will suffer consequences and either wise up or step aside. 

This is why many of us are excited about how much tighter things are being run right now in camp and OTAs

12 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Hopefully it doesn't mean that they are slow learners.

Good point, but even if this was remotely part of the overall  problem, it's still imperative that the coaches recognize that they aren't picking it up & thus, they need to stop what they're doing, work on the task at hand until they have a grasp of it, then move on.  Or, in more of a hopeless case, just move on from said player.  There are tons of people who don't pick up things right away.  Very smart people.  It takes them extra time to mentally grasp it for a number of reasons.  But when they get it, they are awesome at it.  Football is not different.  As long as the physical skills are there, it's the coaches duty to recognize all these things.  

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

The biggest problem for Falcons has been poor starts in first 5 games of the season. NFL odds of a winning season drop dramatically after a 1-4 start and almost impossible to make playoffs with 0-5 start. Falcons have NFL worst, 2-13 Record under DQ for first five games from 2018-2020.  The big part of the reason for starting slow has been. the historically worse defense during those first 5 weeks. 

Three year Historic dumpster D in first five weeks (2018-2020)

The defense wasn't just bad, it was historically one of. the worst. Two of those defenses in past 3 years rank in 3 of the worst defensive performances in franchise history (first five games). All three of the defenses in those years rank as top 25 all time worst defenses in the NFL.  Falcons had the worst ranked defense in almost all categories.

Points given up: 32 rank.

TD given up: 32 Rank

QB passer rating: 32 Rank

Sacks : 32

Total yards given up: 31

2020 Season: 

The 2020 season was supposedly going to be different with Raheem Morris and Ulbrich taking over the play calling.However, 2020 is the third worst 5 game defensive start in the franchise history.

TD: 32

Yards: 31. 

QB Passer rating: 32. 

Sacks : 29

The 2018 and 2019 seasons are no different with Falcons being worst in the NFL in most categories. 

Falcons lost multiple games scoring more than 30 points or 40 points during. that time frame. 

Falcons schedule is favorable in first 5 weeks. If Dean Pees has the defense playing average or better will go long way in starting 3-2 or 4-1. A fast start to the season will help AS, and the falcons to stay relevant in January. 

Pees is teaching players to be smart and understand their roles and concepts. Hopefully Falcons would never have to see this garbage again. 

****... Just watched this... How the **** did DQ get another defensive coordinator job that soon? 

42 minutes ago, Falconsailorman said:

Just gets to the point Quinn and staff did not have the players ready for the season. No accountability,discipline and leaders made this a poor defense. I am glad the previous regime is gone.Now to dig out of the hole TD has left the team in cap wise.

Like when Campbell said 'we didn't take them seriously' in reference to the 2018 loss to the Browns. That falls on the HC right there. 

As I said in another thread, Quinn just wanted to be buddies with the players which led to a complete lack of discipline. Players would f-up and Quinn would be waiting on the sideline to fist bump them. 

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

My goodness 007, that should be the fkg baseline of expectations.  We've become programmed to expect & accept incompetence I think.  It's been a really tough ride.  

This is 100% accurate.  With DQ the most I hoped for with this team is that they wouldn't absolutely embarrass themselves, and they rarely even accomplished that. 

I'm not sure how the title matches up to anything Pees said in his press conference. I heard no references to cleaning out trash ect.?  I will say that I do like Pees approach and the fact he has neither an axe to grind with the past, nor a plan to dictate the the future. My favorite quote? "The talent/players we have available are going to dictate the scheme, not me." Multiple up front, simple in the back. The simple in the back is actually a DQ carry over. Hopefully teaching, effort, and execution will improve.

Just now, falcndave said:

I'm not sure how the title matches up to anything Pees said in his press conference. I heard no references to cleaning out trash ect.?  I will say that I do like Pees approach and the fact he has neither an axe to grind with the past, nor a plan to dictate the the future. My favorite quote? "The talent/players we have available are going to dictate the scheme, not me." Multiple up round, simple in the back. The simple is the back is actually a DQ carry over. Hopefully teaching, effort, and execution will improve.

Who said anything about Dean pees saying this in press conference. I didn’t quote him or anything.

58 minutes ago, ramonezy said:

****... Just watched this... How the **** did DQ get another defensive coordinator job that soon? 

Quinn is a good guy.... Good run with the  Seahawks..   ****** up run with the Falcons.... teams really dont know....especially with pundits looking at us as a ****** up organization....so it's easy to give him another chance 

He **** this up with the Cowboys......he done ....

14 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Coz DQ owned Mike McCarthy and GB. Perception can be different. 

Not to mention as bad as the team would play in some stretches....we had several really good stretches of football.

Even last year the 4 wins came in a what 6 game span?

As bad as the first half of 2019 was...the second half was great... Went 6-2 including wins over the top 2 seeds in the conference with 2 fantastic defensive performances....one of which was dominating the saints on their house and not giving up a TD and sacking Brees 6 times.

The defense shut down the niners in SF.

That was our biggest problem under Quinn...we were incredibly streaky and inconsistent.

We had blocks of several wins and and we had blocks of losing every year..

Unfortunately the last 3 years , the blocks of losing were bigger then the blocks of winning.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Not to mention as bad as the team would play in some stretches....we had several really good stretches of football.

Even last year the 4 wins came in a what 6 game span?

As bad as the first half of 2019 was...the second half was great... Went 6-2 including wins over the top 2 seeds in the conference with 2 fantastic defensive performances....one of which was dominating the saints on their house and not giving up a TD and sacking Brees 6 times.

The defense shut down the niners in SF.

That was our biggest problem under Quinn...we were incredibly streaky and inconsistent.

We had blocks of several wins and and we had blocks of losing every year..

Unfortunately the last 3 years , the blocks of losing were bigger then the blocks of winning.

True, it’s been problem going back to 2016, the defense started slow with one of the NFLs worst defenses and then improved till SB collapse.