Dean Pees cleaning out DQ's Historic Trash Slow starter Defense could be the most important part of 2021 season.

The biggest problem for Falcons has been poor starts in first 5 games of the season. NFL odds of a winning season drop dramatically after a 1-4 start and almost impossible to make playoffs with 0-5 start. Falcons have NFL worst, 2-13 Record under DQ for first five games from 2018-2020.  The big part of the reason for starting slow has been. the historically worse defense during those first 5 weeks. 

Three year Historic dumpster D in first five weeks (2018-2020)

The defense wasn't just bad, it was historically one of. the worst. Two of those defenses in past 3 years rank in 3 of the worst defensive performances in franchise history (first five games). All three of the defenses in those years rank as top 25 all time worst defenses in the NFL.  Falcons had the worst ranked defense in almost all categories.

Points given up: 32 rank.

TD given up: 32 Rank

QB passer rating: 32 Rank

Sacks : 32

Total yards given up: 31

2020 Season: 

The 2020 season was supposedly going to be different with Raheem Morris and Ulbrich taking over the play calling.However, 2020 is the third worst 5 game defensive start in the franchise history.

TD: 32

Yards: 31. 

QB Passer rating: 32. 

Sacks : 29

The 2018 and 2019 seasons are no different with Falcons being worst in the NFL in most categories. 

Falcons lost multiple games scoring more than 30 points or 40 points during. that time frame. 

Falcons schedule is favorable in first 5 weeks. If Dean Pees has the defense playing average or better will go long way in starting 3-2 or 4-1. A fast start to the season will help AS, and the falcons to stay relevant in January. 

Pees is teaching players to be smart and understand their roles and concepts. Hopefully Falcons would never have to see this garbage again. 

14 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

As much as I talk about how bad it's been, I always forget how bad it really was until I watch something like this. 

Those defenses were putrid.

Putrid is an understatement. Lol. The good thing is the defense has no where but to go up under Pees. I would question the preparation of the defense before the start of the season. The first 5-6 weeks of the regular season was preseason to the defense. 

Compare this to the final 5 games of the season please. 

Everyone keeps talking about how terrible the D is talent wise. But if you extrapolate the final 5 games over a season, the defense would be pretty good unless my eyes deceive me.

I'm actually interested in seeing this side by side to prove the Defensive personnel is better than most think.

2 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

Compare this to the final 5 games of the season please. 

Everyone keeps talking about how terrible the D is talent wise. But if you extrapolate the final 5 games over a season, the defense would be pretty good unless my eyes deceive me.

I'm actually interested in seeing this side by side to prove the Defensive personnel is better than most think.

The false hope of final 5 games every season from 2018-2020. Playing well in bunch of meaningless games to save the jobs. If They start 0-5 or 1-4, it doesn’t matter what they do in final 5 games. Falcons can’t afford to start with historical garbage. 

10 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Those 5 weeks defenses were definitely the worst defenses I’ve seen of all time. Pretty sure we allowed like 6 consecutive quarters of drives that ended in points from the cardinals game to the Texans game in 2019. It won’t be difficult to do better than that. At least that’s what I hope lol. 

Yeah. I wanted DQ fired after that Texans game. In the hindsight 2020 and 2018 Defenses were worse. 
Grady did say Pees is teaching them concepts on why they are doing things certain way and assignments.

My gosh we've had some crap for coaches.  If you can't get the players to perform their assignments then Get outta here!

No accountability whatsoever from a bunch of pathetic people pleaser coaches.  If you can't or won't learn your assignment, you are GONE.  If you're physically incapable of doing it then that's in a different category. 

We just might have had the worst staff in the NFL.  There has to be accountability in everything.  Sports, Business, Relationships... The coaches were out smarted & out schemed too.  They've been over their heads & I am thankful that TF & AS are now in charge.  I truly feel the right people are now in place to gradually work towards being a winner again.

25 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

The false hope of final 5 games every season from 2018-2020. Playing well in bunch of meaningless games to save the jobs. If They start 0-5 or 1-4, it doesn’t matter what they do in final 5 games. Falcons can’t afford to start with historical garbage. 

That's my point, final 5 games are closer to the defences capability.  If we got a full seasons worth of that play, the defence would be a top 10 unit.

That's why I'm not as concerned with the defence under new tutelage than others around here.

2 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

That's my point, final 5 games are closer to the defences capability.  If we got a full seasons worth of that play, the defence would be a top 10 unit.

That's why I'm not as concerned with the defence under new tutelage than others around here.

That’s what was said at end of 2018,2019 about next year. I can buy the excuse once but not thrice. They just need to break the trend from past three years.

3 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

As well as become more disciplined.

Tired of seeing broken coverage on plays where you know the opposing team has no choice but to throw the ball.

Absolutely. I think players had no clue what they were doing nor any understanding of roles and assignments. I am glad Pees is teaching them fundamentals to understand the scheme.

2 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

My goodness 007, that should be the fkg baseline of expectations.  We've become programmed to expect & accept incompetence I think.  It's been a really tough ride.  

I agree. I want to see good solid fundamental football. These guys have speed you can’t coach. Teach them concepts, assignments, and roles. Let them play fast and hit hard.

9 minutes ago, Zzzzz said:

... but, but, but Cowboys fans really believe Dan Quinn will field the LOB II for them.🤣

I honestly like Morris and Ulbrich better as DC. You never know anything is possible, and DQ can reinvent himself. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

I agree. I want to see good solid fundamental football. These guys have speed you can’t coach. Teach them concepts, assignments, and roles. Let them play fast and hit hard.

IKR, there were guys in every game who had no idea what their assignments were.  They were literally reacting randomly to what was coming at them.  Pees will not allow that to continue.  Sure there are always times when the O throws something at you that is completely outside of what you could have anticipated, but for the most part we've been fallen way short.

Just now, falcons007 said:

I honestly like Morris and Ulbrich better as DC. You never know anything is possible, and DQ can reinvent himself. 

I think DQ's success in Seattle was more tied to Carroll.

Quinn struggled in Atlanta because he tried to replicate what was done in Seattle instead of evolving into his own. He'll have to evolve his defense to have any chance of getting back on a successful track.