In what ways is Arthur Smith's play calling and schemes similar to Kyle Shanahan's?

I've heard a lot of fans with an eye for detail say that Kyle Shanahan and Arthur Smith have a lot of similarities in their offensive play calling and schemes.

In what ways do you see Arthur Smith's play calling being similar to Kyle Shanahan's? What differences do you see in their styles?

I hope that Arthur Smith can use our running backs as well as Kyle Shanahan used Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman in 2016. And I hope that Matt Ryan will play at an MVP level in Arthur Smith's offense. Your thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

They both like to run multiple plays out of a single formation and personnel package.  It allows for seeing what the defense does and then later exploiting the weaknesses they show.   

Exactly. Shannie loved to get a defense expecting a certain play out of a certain formation, then spring somebody wide open by changing it up later in the game.

Lots of presnap motion.  This gives the qb more info on what the defense is doing before snapping the ball, creates confusion on the defense, and creates desirable match ups for the offense.

He creates tendencies on offense and then breaks them later in the game or later in the season.

He'll also run the same play but in different formations, especially in the run game.

He has a good run scheme and works the play action off of it.

And he runs a wco.

Posted (edited)

For the life of me, I do not understand how we had Koetter the last two years which is the complete opposite to this philosophy. It is almost like Koetter runs a backyard offensive scheme, just go out there and beat your friends just for fun. The more I think about the last regime, the more ridiculous it seems we endured that season of the franchise, especially the last two years were awful. 

Edited by falcon22

21 minutes ago, falcon22 said:

For the life of me, I do not understand how we had Koetter the last two years which is the complete opposite to this philosophy. It is almost like Koetter runs a backyard offensive scheme, just go out there and beat your friends just for fun. The more I think about the last regime, the more ridiculous it seems we endure that season, especially the last two years were awful. 

That is Dirk Koetter's philosophy.  I've heard him say it.  "We just have to win our match ups".  That's the way he thinks.  Our guys just have to beat their guy, no scheming people open, no confusion, no easy plays.

1 minute ago, abcranford2 said:

That is Dirk Koetter's philosophy.  I've heard him say it.  "We just have to win our match ups".  That's the way he thinks.  Our guys just have to beat their guy, no scheming people open, no confusion, no easy plays.

Yes, I know. It is just the more I think about it, the more angry I get as to why in the world we went on that direction and allow Quinn to make such horrible decisions. 

I think the story goes that Matt LaFleur was the OC in Tennessee via SF and he brought with him a version of the KS playbook, which then Smith inherited when he became OC. He is now bringing a version of that to ATL. So the concepts should be similar to what Matt ran in 2015-16. If I remember correctly the original KS playbook was kept after he left so he might have access to that, but frankly I don't know if that matters, since it seems like that playbook is all over the NFL now as the Shanny tree expands.

12 minutes ago, falcon22 said:

Yes, I know. It is just the more I think about it, the more angry I get as to why in the world we went on that direction and allow Quinn to make such horrible decisions. 

Hiring DK was the end for Quinn.  Instead of trying to be aggressive and go for someone creative and innovative, he went with the "safe, conservative" pick in DK.. and it (among other things) cost him his job.  

16 minutes ago, falcon22 said:

I love a good conspiracy theory, so take this with a grain of salt.

What if Koetter was brought in to keep our veterans (looking at you JULIO) happy? Because obviously Julio doesn't want to play for a new regime here, so maybe they hired Koetter to placate our veterans, and give Blank his "win now" team.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I've heard a lot of fans with an eye for detail say that Kyle Shanahan and Arthur Smith have a lot of similarities in their offensive play calling and schemes.

In what ways do you see Arthur Smith's play calling being similar to Kyle Shanahan's? What differences do you see in their styles?

I hope that Arthur Smith can use our running backs as well as Kyle Shanahan used Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman in 2016. And I hope that Matt Ryan will play at an MVP level in Arthur Smith's offense. Your thoughts?

As others have said, playaction and motion to create mismatches; WCO. Use of running backs in the passing game is actually one of the ways their most different—AS historically has not used his running backs in the passing game (though that could be that it’s not Henry’s strength).

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Like others have already said, running multiple plays out of the same formation, running the same play out of different formations, play action, pre-snap motion, and making adjustments based on what the defense does in order to catch them off guard.  CREATIVITY!  which is something we haven't seen since 2016! 

He also isn't afraid to go against what is "normally" done in a situation if he thinks it will catch the defense by surprise.  Look at the Titans game against the Texans ... 10 seconds to go, inside the 10 yard line, clock running... everyone and their uncle thinks they're going to spike the ball to stop the clock and instead they throw it for a back corner TD.  And then in overtime, after tying things up, they get down to the 5 yard line... The defense is thinking pass because of the 4th quarter tying touchdown play...  so naturally AS goes WILDCAT formation (?!?!) with Tannahill out wide.  The defense has no idea what the **** is going on so AS sends Henry up the middle for the game winning TD.

It is a lot of the same things we saw with Shanny, scheming people open, making things look like something else so the defense reacts and looks one way while the play is actually designed to go elsewhere.   How many times did we see Shanny scheme Taylor Gabrial WIDE OPEN for big plays?  

37 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I think the story goes that Matt LaFleur was the OC in Tennessee via SF and he brought with him a version of the KS playbook, which then Smith inherited when he became OC. He is now bringing a version of that to ATL. So the concepts should be similar to what Matt ran in 2015-16. If I remember correctly the original KS playbook was kept after he left so he might have access to that, but frankly I don't know if that matters, since it seems like that playbook is all over the NFL now as the Shanny tree expands.

Very true. AS' particular variation of the Shannie scheme is not going to fool people for long. It will succeed or fail in the long run by how well our offense executes it.

1 hour ago, falcon22 said:

For the life of me, I do not understand how we had Koetter the last two years which is the complete opposite to this philosophy. It is almost like Koetter runs a backyard offensive scheme, just go out there and beat your friends just for fun. The more I think about the last regime, the more ridiculous it seems we endured that season of the franchise, especially the last two years were awful. 

1 hour ago, abcranford2 said:

1 hour ago, falcon22 said:

59 minutes ago, Pa_Falcon_Fan said:

Hiring DK was the end for Quinn.  Instead of trying to be aggressive and go for someone creative and innovative, he went with the "safe, conservative" pick in DK.. and it (among other things) cost him his job.  

Absolutely mind boggling. 

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Base a lot of their play calls off of play action. I haven’t studied AS offensive philosophy but the little bit I seen he has a lot of WCO principles

In '16 I believe we led the league in play action. A HUGE part of our success. DK hardly ever used it. 

2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I think AS will use more 2 TE sets.

I think you're right. Actually, we had success with 3 tight end sets, 13 personnel, in 2016. Hit some big plays in obvious running situations. I can think of one obvious running situation that we should have gone 13......

GO FALCONS!!!!

6 hours ago, Jesus said:

Soooo, in way Ryan indirectly responsible for us getting AS as a head coach.