Now that the NFL is moving to 17 game regular season...

Isn't it the right thing to do to close all the record books for per season stats and start over again?  I mean, isn't it just a given that with an extra game, most single season records will fall almost immediately?

A 2,000 yard season will become the marker instead of the milestone for top end performers...single season sacks?  topped by at least three within a few years...etc

Just now, Falconcheff said:

Isn't it the right thing to do to close all the record books for per season stats and start over again?  I mean, isn't it just a given that with an extra game, most single season records will fall almost immediately?

A 2,000 yard season will become the marker instead of the milestone for top end performers...single season sacks?  topped by at least three within a few years...etc

They didn’t do this when they went from 14 games to 16 games in 1978 and they’re not gonna do it in 2021. It just is what it is.

MLB tried this crap back in the 60s when they went from 154 games to 162 and keeping track of two different record books was extremely silly and common sense finally prevailed in the 80s.

It is what it is. 20 or 30 years from now no one is gonna care.

7 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

They definitely need to take Super Bowl 51 off the books.  Let’s do it. 

^^^^I mean, you're prolly both right; I'll just find it distasteful for a little while watching dudes get all macho breaking records during the 17th game....and announcers getting all teary-eyed; breaking records will be commonplace for a few years in a row...

Just now, Falconcheff said:

You do realize that NFL has had seasons that were 10 games, 12 games , & 14 games?

The record for most interceptions in a season was set at 14 in 1952.... during a 12 game season.

That record has stood for 68 years.

49 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

The thing I want more than that BS is an extra bye week.

I think we’ll eventually settle on 18 games with 2 bye weeks. Might do away with preseason altogether. Wish they would get rid of the bye week between the championship games and the Super Bowl. That off week between really sucks. I’ve hated it since the first time they did it in the early 2000s.

55 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Idk why they didn’t just add that. You get your extra week of revenue but nah they just had to add a ******* game.

I want a 2nd bye week too, but the reason why the NFL doesn't push for it should be obvious; less money.

The NFLPA is not approving a longer season. They don't want to reduce the offseason. The NFL added a 17th game by reducing the preseason.

If they wanted to add a 2nd bye week, they'd have to eliminate another preseason game, which means less money

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The record for most interceptions in a season was set at 14 in 1952.... during a 12 game season.

That record has stood for 68 year

Cant imagine Deion Sanders or anyone of that type of athletic ability playing with those players. 

Talk about a slow league then.... not sure if I would have followed

2 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

Keep in mind that a lot of stars and records are kept on a per game average.   That’s because not only have the number of games per season changed more than once, but there are missed games due to injury, shortened seasons, etc.  

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

I want a 2nd bye week too, but the reason why the NFL doesn't push for it should be obvious; less money.

The NFLPA is not approving a longer season. They don't want to reduce the offseason. The NFL added a 17th game by reducing the preseason.

If they wanted to add a 2nd bye week, they'd have to eliminate another preseason game, which means less money

NFL could add 2 more bye weeks, arrange it so all Thursday games came off bye weeks, have 18 games, have an extra 3 weeks of football, generate tons more money, players would be healthier with 3 bye weeks a season. Scheduling would be insane, but that's what quantum computers are for.

28 minutes ago, falconidae said:

NFL could add 2 more bye weeks, arrange it so all Thursday games came off bye weeks, have 18 games, have an extra 3 weeks of football, generate tons more money, players would be healthier with 3 bye weeks a season. Scheduling would be insane, but that's what quantum computers are for.

It would still be fewer games. Less preseason to add a week with none for each team. The owners have no interest in turning a week that makes them money into a week that doesn't

27 minutes ago, falconidae said:

It really is annoying that teams have to play on TNF on a short week. It’s even more insane when a team follows up a TNF game with a MNF game. Really? You’re gonna give them another day of rest and preparation for their next game. There’s just so much wrong with the way the schedule is made. So many things happen that are unfair. How about the Falcons having their bye in week 6 but another team in their division not having a bye until like week 12. Really? Ugh!!

6 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Cant imagine Deion Sanders or anyone of that type of athletic ability playing with those players. 

Talk about a slow league then.... not sure if I would have followed

We’ll back then nutrition and exercise science wasn’t is what it is today.

Today athletes are genetic freaks compared to then.

Back then players had real jobs in the off-season and didn’t train year round.

Deion wouldn’t be the same player if he didn’t train at all in the off-season and had to work a regular 9-5.

I had hoped if there would be 17 games that players would be limited to 16.  Would have kept records and safety the same while adding something new to the game: coaches deciding which game each player sits.  With 53 spots it would only be ~3 per game, 1-2 starters.  Injuries would cover part of it anyway.

13 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You do realize that NFL has had seasons that were 10 games, 12 games , & 14 games?

That record has stood for 68 years.

Wow that's crazy.

Just now, Ryan2White said:

Wow that's crazy.

Norm Van Brocklin set the record for most passing yards in a game in 1951.

Night Train Lane set the record for picks the next year. 

DiMaggio and Ted Williams set the MLB hitting streak record and the last time a player hit .400 for the season respectively in 1941.  

Chamberlain scored 100 in a game in the NBA in 1962. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Realistically, the only positions I can see it impacting record wise is QB, WR, DE/DT. Can't imagine it having an impact anywhere else easily

I would maybe add RB to the list too. At the very least the rushing yards record, because AP definitely would have broken the record with an extra game and Henry probably would have surpassed it as well just in the past decade. 

5 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I would maybe add RB to the list too. At the very least the rushing yards record, because AP definitely would have broken the record with an extra game and Henry probably would have surpassed it as well just in the past decade. 

There's only a very small number of teams that actually use their running back anymore. Henry may be the only one that could have broken a record in the past few years off the top of my head. AP and Chris Johnson did it in a time running backs were actually valued highly