The Featured Julio Thread

57 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

If you are mature and grown you become expendable? Or you talking about voting and fighting in a war?

If you can legally vote and fight in a war in these United States of America you are grown. 

When you reach the age required for voting, military service, drinking, driving a vehicle, carrying a concealed weapon, marriage license, etc., you are legally grown.  Once you are legally grown, it means you qualify for being expendable (military service).  It does not mean you have matured.  What happens in reality and what happens under the law are quite often very different.  If you have spent any time in court proceedings, you have likely been astounded how little that has to do with right and wrong.  But, that is another story altogether.

I know a man aged 77 who is a mischievous child.  He is reasonably intelligent, but builds relationships and manages them like a preteen child.  He is grown, but not mature.

21 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

When you reach the age required for voting, military service, drinking, driving a vehicle, carrying a concealed weapon, marriage license, etc., you are legally grown.  Once you are legally grown, it means you qualify for being expendable (military service).  It does not mean you have matured.  What happens in reality and what happens under the law are quite often very different.  If you have spent any time in court proceedings, you have likely been astounded how little that has to do with right and wrong.  But, that is another story altogether.

I know a man aged 77 who is a mischievous child.  He is reasonably intelligent, but builds relationships and manages them like a preteen child.  He is grown, but not mature.

Oh yeah I agree 100% with all of that sir!

2 hours ago, NorthGaBoy said:

We have leverage.  Julio can still play.  That has value.  As many have said, if someone loses a receiver during ST, Julio's value goes up.  If Grady signs a new deal, Julio's value goes up.  If Julio is smart and has a sit down with Falcons brass and it is announced that the riff is done, Julio's value goes up.  If Julio shows up in FB, his value goes up. 

Julio and the Falcons can increase their leverage.  Will they?

Here are two things to think about if Julio stays.

1. He gets injured. Then the Falcons have to keep and pay him every cent.

2. Julio balls out and becomes a big part of why the Falcons are winning games.

In scenario 2 would you still want to trade him?

Oh and in this scenario he’s not practicing or being held accountable or any of the other things people around here have been ****ting on him for the last few weeks. But on game day he’s brining it like classic Julio.

Would you still want to get rid of him?

3 hours ago, RedandBlack4ever said:
Originally posted on SportsTalkATL  |  By Alex Lord  |  Last updated 6/4/21

Josina Anderson, who is the host of Undefined, reported from a source last night that a team involved in the Julio Jones sweepstakes said, “everyone is giving (the Falcons) time to think about it…” Anderson mentioned that these comments come from a team that prefers to deal a high mid-round pick for Jones, while Terry Fontenot also absorbs a “good share” of the seven-time Pro Bowler’s salary.

It’s becoming clear that the Falcons will have to choose between maximum financial relief and maximum draft capital. Teams aren’t going to want to give up a first-round pick without Atlanta taking on a share of the contract, but they seem to be willing to part ways with a second or third-round pick and take on the entirety of the contract.

I’m not saying I agree with any of this. It’s just my take from the information provided. In reality, Fontenot shouldn’t and likely won’t trade the All-Pro receiver away for a bag of rocks. The entire point of this trade is to provide salary cap relief, and if Fontenot has to eat some of Jones’s salary, what’s the point? This can be a difficult situation for a first-time general manager, but I believe Fontenot won’t blink.

I think Fontenot would rather have a disgruntled Jones on the roster knowing he might sit out rather than take some lowball offer to set the precedent general managers around the league can take advantage of him. He doesn’t seem like that type of individual. A “high mid-rounder” isn’t even close to what Julio Jones is worth, and if that’s what the market is baring, then I don’t think he’ll be traded.

I said before, Falcons aren't getting a 1st for Julio because of his contract. Nobody wants to pay a 32 year old receiver that kind of money. But we might get a 2nd (or maybe a pair of 2nd's) to get out from under Julio's contract. In that case I think you do it. I know it's not the popular thing to do but one can argue that 2 second's are equal to 1 first.

53 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I said before, Falcons aren't getting a 1st for Julio because of his contract. Nobody wants to pay a 32 year old receiver that kind of money. But we might get a 2nd (or maybe a pair of 2nd's) to get out from under Julio's contract. In that case I think you do it. I know it's not the popular thing to do but one can argue that 2 second's are equal to 1 first.

They talking about a 2nd and absorbing some of Julio’s contract. That’s a big no from me. We should keep him at that point. Get a 2nd and Falcons have no financial obligation to Julio

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Here are two things to think about if Julio stays.

1. He gets injured. Then the Falcons have to keep and pay him every cent.

2. Julio balls out and becomes a big part of why the Falcons are winning games.

In scenario 2 would you still want to trade him?

Oh and in this scenario he’s not practicing or being held accountable or any of the other things people around here have been ****ting on him for the last few weeks. But on game day he’s brining it like classic Julio.

Would you still want to get rid of him?

Kerry Meier and others were bringing it in practice. I will take Julio bringing it on game day. No need to dump him with huge dead cap for peanuts. Let Julio decide he wants to play or sit out. He sits out, Falcons get cap relief. 

10 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

They talking about a 2nd and absorbing some of Julio’s contract. That’s a big no from me. We should keep him at that point. Get a 2nd and Falcons have no financial obligation to Julio

That is what I'm saying. If we're only going to get a 2nd for Julio then that means the trading team should take all of Julio's contract.

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Kerry Meier and others were bringing it in practice. I will take Julio bringing it on game day. No need to dump him with huge dead cap for peanuts. Let Julio decide he wants to play or sit out. He sits out, Falcons get cap relief. 

Except Julio wasn't bringing it on game day for the vast majority of the 2020 season and it's hard to believe those little nagging injuries are going to get any better with another year of age under his belt. Julio only played in 9 games in 2020 and in two of the games he did play in he only caught 2 passes cause he was in and out of the lineup the entire game. One of those games was the Cowboys game where Julio had that major dropped TD on a perfect pass from Gage. So basically, that's 9 games from 2020 that Julio didn't contribute.

But you're right, if the Falcons don't get the right offer they're not trading Julio. Julio will either suit up for the Falcons or sit out. Terry Fontenot and Arthur Smith aren't pushovers.

18 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

7 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That is what I'm saying. If we're only going to get a 2nd for Julio then that means the trading team should take all of Julio's contract.

Yeah I think that's what the article is stating too. If we want someone to assume his whole contract, which is the main purpose of trading him, the receiving team isn't going to give up a first.

I think what TF originally said is still relevant: they take calls about everyone and if the compensation is worthwhile, the trade could happen. If not, he's still a Falcon.

12 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Except Julio wasn't bringing it on game day for the vast majority of the 2020 season and it's hard to believe those little nagging injuries are going to get any better with another year of age under his belt. Julio only played in 9 games in 2020 and in two of the games he did play in he only caught 2 passes cause he was in and out of the lineup the entire game. One of those games was the Cowboys game where Julio had that major dropped TD on a perfect pass from Gage. So basically, that's 9 games from 2020 that Julio didn't contribute.

But you're right, if the Falcons don't get the right offer they're not trading Julio. Julio will either suit up for the Falcons or sit out. Terry Fontenot and Arthur Smith aren't pushovers.

Lmao. Julio had one of his best season on per snap route basis in 2020. Every WR drops passes, Julio dropped in the years he put 1700-1800 yards. Some of you guys hating Julio is hilarious at this point. 

Julio played meaningfully snaps in 7 games, obviously he was banged up for those 9 games.

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Lmao. Julio had one of his best season on per snap route basis in 2020. Every WR drops passes, Julio dropped in the years he put 1700-1800 yards. Some of you guys hating Julio is hilarious at this point. 

Julio played meaningfully snaps in 7 games, obviously he was banged up for those 9 games.

I am not hating on Julio by saying that for the vast majority of the season he didn't contribute to the Falcons offense. That is simply pointing out a fact. In the 7 games he played meaningful snaps in he was his normal badass self. But that doesn't make what I said wrong or hating on the guy. I'm sorry that you can't set your personal feelings aside to acknowledge a fact.

Posted (edited)

I don't believe we had a first on the table for Julio. If that's what they wanted they woulda took the one NE supposedly offered and be done already. It will probably be the only one offered. I DO believe the reason why he's still here is because he had Arthur Blank behind him. Dan Quinn and crew wore that "Falcon for life" jazz on their sleeves while AS and crew is basically saying it's their way or the highway. Ain't no more freebies with star players whether the FO like it or not.

Edited by Hard2BaBirdWachr

4 minutes ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

I don't believe we had a first on the table for Julio. If that's what they wanted they woulda took the one NE supposedly offered and be done already. It will probably be the only one offered. I DO believe the reason why he's still here is because he had Arthur Blank behind him. Dan Quinn and crew wore that "Falcon for life" jazz on their sleeves while AS and crew is basically saying it's their way or the highway. Ain't no more freebies with star players whether the FO like it or not.

I don't believe there was a 1st offered either. If so they would have taken it by now unless they're really trying to swindle a high pick plus have the other team take up his salary. If that's the case no team is going to do that unless they are truly desperate. I mean pulling for straws desperate

I found the articles on the Atlanta Falcons page on yardbarker.com can somebody tell me if that is a reliable site. They have alot of articles everyday. Here is the latest if it's a bad site let me know and I won't post anymore. I've been a member since before the first super bowl and still counted as a new member. I always read the forums but never post.

Originally posted on SportsTalkATL  |  By Chase Irle  |  Last updated 6/4/21

At this point, I totally understand if you’re completely lost when it comes to the Julio Jones trade rumors. Some outlets are saying the Falcons will get a first-round pick and unload his entire salary, others say teams are offering a mid-round pick and asking Atlanta to eat a large portion of Jones’ salary. The truth most likely lies somewhere in the middle.

It was reported last week by ESPN’s Dianna Russini that the Falcons have a first-round pick on the table for Jones.

That very well may be true, but it doesn’t look like that first-round pick was for the next draft in 2022. Chris Mortenson reportedly said on 680 The Fan this afternoon that Atlanta was offered a first-round pick but it was for a future draft — I would assume in 2023.

If I had to guess, the Falcons are probably debating between a 2023 first-round selection or a 2022 second-round pick. In either scenario, I would expect Terry Fontenot to rid of most — if not all — of Jones’ salary. Atlanta may seem desperate to trade Julio because of what occurred on FS1’s Undisputed, but they technically don’t have to. Terry Fontenot isn’t going to accept some lowball offer. This is a pivotal moment for a first-year GM, and he has to get it right. Accepting a mid-round pick and eating salary for one of the best receivers in the league is certainly not getting it right.

38 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I am not hating on Julio by saying that for the vast majority of the season he didn't contribute to the Falcons offense. That is simply pointing out a fact. In the 7 games he played meaningful snaps in he was his normal badass self. But that doesn't make what I said wrong or hating on the guy. I'm sorry that you can't set your personal feelings aside to acknowledge a fact.

It’s common sense. A guy who is injured or not playing snaps isn’t gonna do much. There were no signs of decline when Julio was on the field last year.  You know who else was ineffective in those 9 games? Ridley had like 3 TD in those 9 games. Ryan scored 12 TD and 8 Int compared to 15 TD and 3 Interceptions when Julio played those 7 games. 

12 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It’s common sense. A guy who is injured or not playing snaps isn’t gonna do much. There were no signs of decline when Julio was on the field last year. 

Like I said, I'm sorry that your butthurt because I pointed out that Julio didn't contribute to the Falcons offense for the vast majority of the season. Majority means more than half of something. Julio missed half the games in 2020. Therefore what I said is a fact. I never said anything about him declining so I don't know why you mentioned that.

I'm sorry that I believe that Julio should practice and learn the new offense because I believe in practice when there's a new coaching staff in place so that the offense can be as good as their talent level allows. The 2016 Atlanta Falcons would not have been as great and unstoppable as it was had all the players (Julio included) not practiced their ***** off to learn it.

• ya_boi_j unpinned and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic