The Featured Julio Thread

25 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm happy Shannon did it. Everyone was more than likely going to villainize TF and AS for trading him and now that don't get that treatment because a bulk of the heat is on Julio now. Still, I don't agree with it but I'm glad TF and AS don't get to become scape goats in this situation

They're still getting blamed by some people who are saying that Julio only asked to be traded because he found out that the Falcons were taking calls on him. That's been said on this message board by people who think Julio can do absolutely no wrong.

37 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

You don't trade him just to trade him. Get what you want and hold out until you get what you (Terry) feels is fair.

This right here. They are not just going to give him away for peanuts. 

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

They're still getting blamed by some people who are saying that Julio only asked to be traded because he found out that the Falcons were taking calls on him. That's been said on this message board by people who think Julio can do absolutely no wrong.

Let's think about that for a second

27 minutes ago, stizz said:

Thats what I said...I'd be up all night working the phones to get good value instead of just waiting for teams to call.

He's been doing this for weeks/months. It's not like we could not get offers from teams prior to 6/1. Staying up all night is not going to net you different offers than the ones he has already received in the past. It's a wait and see type of game to see who will bite first. Either we drop what we want or someone gives up more.

Julio Jones Isn’t Running On Empty
By Josh Hermsmeyer

Filed under NFL

Atlanta Falcons v San Francisco 49ers
Julio Jones seems to be on his way out of Atlanta. EZRA SHAW / GETTY IMAGES
It’s a bit of an understatement to say the relationship between Julio Jones and the Atlanta Falcons is strained. After Jones told Shannon Sharpe, “I’m out of there … I want to win,” on live TV last week, it’s probably fair to characterize the 10-year partnership as just about doomed. Reports indicate that the superstar receiver has been unhappy with the Falcons since his 2019 contract negotiations, and at least one journalist has said that Jones thinks Matt Ryan has lost his fastball. These aren’t the statements of a player expecting to stick around for another year. 

To be fair, it’s not as if Atlanta is pining for Jones to stay, either. The Falcons have been telegraphing their desire to trade Jones since new GM Terry Fontenot took over in January. Fontenot inherited a salary cap mess from his predecessor, Thomas Dimitroff, and Atlanta remains just $337,851 under the cap after restructuring Ryan’s deal this offseason. Still, by refusing to invest in youth at QB via the draft, Fontenot hasn’t done much to address the situation. By passing on Justin Fields in favor of tight end Kyle Pitts with the fourth pick, the Falcons signaled that they weren’t committing to a full rebuild — and yet by shopping Julio, they also aren’t committing to going all-in for a final “win now” push. Instead they’re somewhere in the mushy middle, firmly ensconced in salary cap ****, and Jones is the odd man out.

So perhaps the best wide receiver in the league looks extremely likely to move on from the only team he has ever known. And the first question any team that trades for Jones will need to answer is: Does he have anything left in the tank?

Since being selected No. 6 overall in 2011, Jones has been phenomenal, catching 848 targets for 12,896 receiving yards and 60 touchdowns. While age is always a concern in a sport as brutal on the body as football, the 32-year-old is one of just 25 wide receivers with at least 12,000 career receiving yards,1 and he got there very quickly. Despite missing large parts of two seasons to injury, Jones has averaged the most receiving yards per season (1,290) of the 25 — more than even the GOAT, Jerry Rice. Julio’s 10 seasons in Atlanta have been a model of sustained efficiency.

If Jones is in decline, it’s not showing up in these numbers. His first two seasons were his worst as a pro, averaging just over 2 yards per route run in 2011 and 2012, according to ESPN’s Stats & Information Group. But even those numbers were well above the league standard for receivers with similar workloads. From 2015 through 2018, Jones averaged more than 3 yards per route run, an elite level of receiving efficiency. And despite his injuries last year, Julio’s average of 2.7 yards per route run was nearly identical to the numbers he posted in his third and fourth years in the league, when he was just entering his prime.

What about speed? One of the traits that has made Jones so effective in the NFL is his raw footspeed. Defenders fear that speed, and because of that fear, intermediate breaking routes are often left open. But the 4.3-second 40-yard dash Jones ran at the NFL combine was a lifetime ago. He’s 10 years older now, and coming off injury. Perhaps we should expect some drop-off in his ability to threaten a defense deep.

One way to check is to look at Julio’s max speed on vertical routes2 by game over the past few years.

The hamstring injury that plagued him in 2020 did sap some of Jones’s long speed, but his best games were quite competitive with his largely healthy 2017 and 2018 campaigns. Last year, Julio was still able to reach top speeds in excess of 20 mph, well above the median NFL receiver on similar route types. Injury risk is real in football, particularly for players over 30, but there’s no clear evidence that Julio has lost a step.

For teams looking to acquire him, apart from the 2022 draft pick(s) a team will need to part with, Jones is actually fairly affordable. Julio’s cap hit in 2021 is $15.3 million, but it’s just $11.5 million in each of the following two years. According to Jason Fitzpatrick of Over the Cap, $17.3 million is guaranteed, and the total cost works out to an average per year of $12.8 million — right around what the New York Jets recently paid Corey Davis in free agency. 

Recent reports seem to suggest that Jones will want a new, restructured contract if a trade does occur. A new deal would negate the cheaper future years in Julio’s current contract, eliminating quite a bit of the appeal in trading for him. But if a sharp team were willing to deal for just one year of Julio, they could accomplish that via an extension with void years tacked onto the end — effectively making it a one-year deal. These “fake” contract years would serve to minimize the salary cap hit in 2021 and push it to 2022, when the cap will increase from $182.5 million to $208.2 million. Since there is no functional limit on the number of void years a team can write into a contract, Julio’s 2021 cap hit could be amortized over as many years as needed. For a team looking to win now, like the Tennessee Titans or Seattle Seahawks, this approach has a lot of potential benefits.

Julio’s time in Atlanta might be over, but he seems to have plenty left to offer an NFL team in need of a speedy, productive wide receiver. As the league’s signing season starts in earnest, the only question is where he’ll land.

Josh Hermsmeyer is a football writer and analyst.  @friscojosh

Do we know if Trick Montalban/JJ knew that he was on air when he talk to Shannon? or did Shannon do him dirty? Do we know it the FO told him to keep it on the LOW until we find a trade partner? Do we know if he is upset with Shannon because of what happened on air? So if Trick/JJ thought it was a personal convo and he thought Shannon would keep it between just the 2 of them until the trade was finalized and then he got blindsided by Shannon putting him on air with no warning, then Shannon is wrong and needs to be called out. 

10 minutes ago, falconeno said:

Do we know if Trick Montalban/JJ knew that he was on air when he talk to Shannon? or did Shannon do him dirty? Do we know it the FO told him to keep it on the LOW until we find a trade partner? Do we know if he is upset with Shannon because of what happened on air? So if Trick/JJ thought it was a personal convo and he thought Shannon would keep it between just the 2 of them until the trade was finalized and then he got blindsided by Shannon putting him on air with no warning, then Shannon is wrong and needs to be called out. 

You’ve got to be a previously banned poster with the way you talk on here. I just haven’t figured out who yet.

2 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Dude, they're both just horrible examples of his inexplicably getting bad hands at bad moments, but that Carolina one has been burned in my head for all eternity. How do you drop that??

Same with the Cowboys game. Russel Gage threw an absolute DIME and Julio alligator armed it. 

When he dropped that ball I knew the season was over 😂

People talking about missing practices causing the deep ball to be off with Julio and Ryan...tracking the football is a thing. Majority of throws aren’t ‘in stride’ at the same speed the entire route. You track the ball, stack the defender, and the greats pull away at the last moment to make it look in stride on TV broadcast. Or you put it on a rope to an open guy and don’t have to conduct physics in your head to drop an artillery round over an invisible mountain. Julio ain’t great at tracking deep balls, and Ryan ain’t great at putting throws on a rope downfield late. Julio was a studious player early in his career and the deep ball was still, majority of the time, been over or under ran, or common missed shots which will happen on deep balls. 

45 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

If you want to be fair, show the good. I can understand why you wouldn't. It would take an entire thread.

The only person here not being fair is you acting like Julio is absolutely perfect on the field. I posted a couple examples showing that Julio has major screw ups too that completely blows apart the whole "Julio is money on and off the field" junk.

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Be petty and return the favor. I get random downvotes all the time. Mostly from like 3-4 different people. 

Funny story. Last week me and JD said the same thing in a thread. He got the thumbs up, I got the arrow down. 

Sorry - couldn’t help myself. 

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

His SB catch that should've won us the game was one of the best I've ever seen.  

All Kyle had to do after THE CATCH is run the ball 3 times (on the 22ish yard line) and Ryan would be considered a HOF candidate today. Maybe not a first ballot but still a candidate. Ryan haters will tell you that he should have told them in the huddle that we running the ball we are not running this pass play. Yeah right! Only Petyon and maybe Brady, Marino, Elway could get away with that. 

6 minutes ago, falconeno said:

All Kyle had to do after THE CATCH is run the ball 3 times (on the 22ish yard line) and Ryan would be considered a HOF candidate today. Maybe not a first ballot but still a candidate. Ryan haters will tell you that he should have told them in the huddle that we running the ball we are not running this pass play. Yeah right! Only Petyon and maybe Brady, Marino, Elway could get away with that. 

Actually, none of those guys could get away with it either. 

JJ made a big mistake making those comments to Shannon.

Even if he didn't know it was live, it implies he just assumed there'd be teams lining up to pay dearly for him.

[Crickets on 6/2]

He got a big head and made a political blunder.  The market has spoken, and it ain't saying very much!

I think it’s hilarious that the Falcons tried to drum up interest saying a team offered a first round pick a week ago…. And oddly enough no team bought it.

It’s going to be very interesting to watch how this thing plays out.

2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The only person here not being fair is you acting like Julio is absolutely perfect on the field. I posted a couple examples showing that Julio has major screw ups too that completely blows apart the whole "Julio is money on and off the field" junk.

I’ve never heard the phrase ‘so and so is money’ to mean they are perfect though. Ryan is money on and off the field but he has lowlights too. 

• ya_boi_j unpinned and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic