The Featured Julio Thread

2 hours ago, Williamb said:

And how many were missed because someone couldn't practice repetition and timing?

my bad just now seeing this. That is fair, but I just wonder what if he Trick Montalban/JJ played with Rodgers instead would he have more long distance (bombs) TD's? would he have more TD's period (redzone etc..). We will never know but what we do know is that Rodgers is a first ballot HOF. The eye test tells us that he can throw the ball a very long distance and make it look effortless, with zip (frozen rope) and accuracy. There are maybe 2 other QB's in the league that can do that. So would Trick Montalban/JJ have more TD's with ARod? 

2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

If you don’t move him where does the money come from for the rookie class?

A Grady extension would be a nice and easy way to take care of it. Outside of that, you’d have to start getting creative/making cuts 

1 minute ago, Dirtybird56 said:

A Grady extension would be a nice and easy way to take care of it. Outside of that, you’d have to start getting creative/making cuts 

Or a simple restructure of Grady will be enough to sign rookies. I doubt either parties want extension this year. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Or a simple restructure of Grady will be enough to sign rookies. I doubt either parties want extension this year. 

I thought that left us still needing ~$2m to sign but yeah, I agree neither party is in a hurry to do an extension this season. Either way we can sign the rookies without Julio being traded and without losing many/any players which is obviously good, and helps our negotiating spot. I’m sure TF is letting teams know we don’t have to get rid of Julio to get our rookies under contract 

Just now, Dirtybird56 said:

I thought that left us still needing ~$2m to sign but yeah, I agree neither party is in a hurry to do an extension this season. Either way we can sign the rookies without Julio being traded and without losing many/any players which is obviously good, and helps our negotiating spot. I’m sure TF is letting teams know we don’t have to get rid of Julio to get our rookies under contract 

Falcons need around 6.4 M to sign rookie class. Restructuring Grady gives them 6.2 M and they do have like 400K cap space left.  Including the Gradys restructure, falcons  can free up to 10-11M with max restructuring other players not named Julio. They can’t restructure Fowler because of 12 month rule, but other players can be restructured. 

6 hours ago, thanat0s said:

Mainly, I doubt the team has any interest in taking on a salary at all. This is about cap space, nothing else. We want that space and a draft pick(s). It’s the only way we come out win-win. 

They’d still save $8M according to what I read. They could sign the draft class and upgrade a position of need. 

3 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Really? Julio has like 5 steps on a defender, and you're blaming his timing? If you want to defend Ryan, by all means, the OL is your argument. Not Julio.

Long developing, vertical routes is my argument that require deep throws is the real argument. But, you can't honestly sit here and argue that in the nfl, where a qb throws to a spot on the field rather than waiting for wr to be open, doesn't require repetition and practice to achieve. Both of which the great julio has not participated in for several years. Sorry, but practicing with TO during the offseason didn't help his timing with his qb.

5 hours ago, falconeno said:

my bad just now seeing this. That is fair, but I just wonder what if he Trick Montalban/JJ played with Rodgers instead would he have more long distance (bombs) TD's? would he have more TD's period (redzone etc..). We will never know but what we do know is that Rodgers is a first ballot HOF. The eye test tells us that he can throw the ball a very long distance and make it look effortless, with zip (frozen rope) and accuracy. There are maybe 2 other QB's in the league that can do that. So would Trick Montalban/JJ have more TD's with ARod? 

Point is that rodgers has a worse deep ball percentage than ryan. Rodgers also hasn't had rotating idiots for offensive coordinators and learned new systems x 5. Ryan has not had the arm strength of a lot of people, cam newton could outthrow him. But strength has nothing to do with accuracy. And if you're relying on deep balls to win in the nfl, then you're already losing. Julio has been a great player, but recently, he's relied on his talent as opposed to working on his craft(with his team). I never have liked a player who doesn't practice with his team, it ALWAYS shows up on the field.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Really? Julio has like 5 steps on a defender, and you're blaming his timing? If you want to defend Ryan, by all means, the OL is your argument. Not Julio.

Btw, what does having 5 steps on the defender have to do with timing? Do you think ryan has the physical ability or muscle memory to adjust between guys who run 4.7 and those who run 4.3 without practicing with them during the season? You think that when you're 2.5sec from being decapitated by a 320lb man that you wait for julio to get 5 steps on his guy to throw it? Timing.....can't be created with one party riding the stationary bike on the sidelines.

Edited by Williamb
Correction

1 hour ago, Williamb said:

Long developing, vertical routes is my argument that require deep throws is the real argument. But, you can't honestly sit here and argue that in the nfl, where a qb throws to a spot on the field rather than waiting for wr to be open, doesn't require repetition and practice to achieve. Both of which the great julio has not participated in for several years. Sorry, but practicing with TO during the offseason didn't help his timing with his qb.

1 hour ago, Williamb said:

Btw, what does having 5 steps on the defender have to do with timing? Do you think ryan has the physical ability or muscle memory to adjust between guys who run 4.7 and those who run 4.3 without practicing with them during the season? You think that when you're 2.5sec from being decapitated by a 320lb man that you wait for julio to get 5 steps on his guy to throw it? Timing.....can't be created with one party riding the stationary bike on the sidelines.

Sounds like excuses to me. Julio is money, on and off the field. No sense in trying to destroy his character.

6 hours ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

They’d still save $8M according to what I read. They could sign the draft class and upgrade a position of need. 

Oh, I agree on that. I just think they want one or more FAs with that cash, not somebody else's throw in cap dump. 7-8 mil could buy a couple of good guys on the open market.

2 hours ago, Williamb said:

Ka.

Boom. 

9 hours ago, Mescalito said:

Serious question: What's with the QB's calling Julio?  Does he have any say on where he goes?

Not technically, but you can bet the FO isn't going to send him to - let's just say - the Jets, if he isn't up for it. He may not be able to pick his team, but TF will let him have some input.

As he's said, it's a business, but players aren't commodities. The are people with goals and aspirations and families. That's paraphrasing, but that's his MO. He's not going to screw over the best WR in Falcon history just because it's a good move for the team. 

2 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Sounds like excuses to me. Julio is money, on and off the field. No sense in trying to destroy his character.

Yea, but mainly off the field considering he's only taken 67% of his career offensive snaps while Ryan has been out there 99% of his career snaps being a warrior.

F that...Julio’s crapping on this franchise that has accommodated him every single time he has been disgruntled is destroying the perception of his character. 

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

Not technically, but you can bet the FO isn't going to send him to - let's just say - the Jets, if he isn't up for it. He may not be able to pick his team, but TF will let him have some input.

As he's said, it's a business, but players aren't commodities. The are people with goals and aspirations and families. That's paraphrasing, but that's his MO. He's not going to screw over the best WR in Falcon history just because it's a good move for the team. 

Not intentionally, but I would if it meant the best return. He's been well compensated for his time here. If he never takes another snap, he has it better than 99% of the people on the planet. My sympathy meter on pro athletes not getting rings is less than zero. If we can fleece some team like the Jets for the most compensation, that's where he goes.

Nothing to do with character either. Has to do with TEAM work ethic. Which for the great, future hof jj, has not existed since at least 2018. Not excuses, just you trying to lay fault on everyone other than who it belongs to. It's truly amazing that mr hits ridley, gage, zaccheus, taylor gabriel, everyone in stride. Just not the one who refuses to practice. Now you make more excuses.

4 hours ago, Williamb said:

Point is that rodgers has a worse deep ball percentage than ryan. Rodgers also hasn't had rotating idiots for offensive coordinators and learned new systems x 5. Ryan has not had the arm strength of a lot of people, cam newton could outthrow him. But strength has nothing to do with accuracy. And if you're relying on deep balls to win in the nfl, then you're already losing. Julio has been a great player, but recently, he's relied on his talent as opposed to working on his craft(with his team). I never have liked a player who doesn't practice with his team, it ALWAYS shows up on the field.

It should be noted that Rodgers' deep ball chatter is all about those hail mary's, when all that means is a guy can run around and then heave it into the endzone. It takes zero accuracy, because the QB is just throwing it into a crowd where most of his receivers are. 

The WRs do all the work there, yet as long as the wildly overrated Rodgers has been playing, he's gotten all the glory from them. 

• ya_boi_j unpinned and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic