The Featured Julio Thread

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

And I still think that there is a bigger chance of that happening then with some may think at this point.

I would've agreed a week ago, because I don't think TF would've traded him for anything less than what he deems adequate. But at this point, all the drama can easily bleed into the locker room and that's the last thing you want under a new regime. Band-Aid needs to be ripped off sooner rather than later. Saves us money and media headaches. 

Edited by dirtybirds233

20 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

3 years ago we were just coming of off back to back playoff seasons

Firing a coach after back to back playoff appearances is a great way to never attract another quality HC again.

And again for like the 11 billionth time.

Julio's, Matt's, Mathews or any contract that people want to point to as being an issues....all of that is moot because of Covid.

There are only like 4 or 5 teams In the league that can sign their draft class right now with out making a move or 3  to do it.

Any normal year we would be in atleast average shape in terms of the cap.

This happens more than you would think in the NFL.

There's Tampa Bay with Tony Dungy, Oakland with John Gruden, Marty Schotteinheimer with the Cargers, John Fox in Denver, and even Mike Malarkey with the Titans.

Here's John Foxes record with the Broncos before they fired him: 8-8; 13-3; 13-3; 12-4... one year removed from the Superbowl and one of the best offenses in NFL history.

The Raiders got rid of Gruden after a 12-4 and 10-6 season... the tuck rule and one of the best defenses of all time the 2000 Ravens. That's who they lost to in the playoffs in those seasons.

I disagree because I think Julio's cap hit and Ryan's cap hit would still be issues without Covid but they just wouldn't be as critical as they are now.

2 hours ago, BLM said:

So you advocate holding players hostage now like Washington did with Trent Williams?

How is it considered holding players hostage when the player signed his name on the contract? Maybe these players should start thinking about these things before signing long term with teams. Players like him can easily break the bank anywhere

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

This happens more than you would think in the NFL.

There's Tampa Bay with Tony Dungy, Oakland with John Gruden, Marty Schotteinheimer with the Cargers, John Fox in Denver, and even Mike Malarkey with the Titans.

Here's John Foxes record with the Broncos before they fired him: 8-8; 13-3; 13-3; 12-4

The Raiders got rid of Gruden after a 12-4 and 10-6 season... the tuck rule and one of the best defenses of all time the 2000 Ravens.

I disagree because I think Julio's cap hit and Ryan's cap hit would still be issues without Covid but they just wouldn't be as critical as they are now.

Who did the raiders hire after firing Gruden?

They are perfect example of what I am talking about.

They went what 15-16 years between playoff births? And how many HC's???

Same thing with Tampa, they got their ring with Gruden based on Dungy's team but after that they made the playoffs how many times? How many quality coaches did they attract until they got Arians?

So yeah it happens...sometimes it works out for 1 year but then things usually tank.

Even the Broncos.....they are on their 3 HC since firing Fox.

7 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

How is it considered holding players hostage when the player signed his name on the contract? Maybe these players should start thinking about these things before signing long term with teams. Players like him can easily break the bank anywhere

If we are talking about a 5th round RB and the team is running his wheels off 3 years into his rookie deal, I might side with the RB holding out for a new contract or being disgruntled.  It's not his fault he hasn't gotten paid.  It's because nobody believed in him enough to draft him sooner.  I can respect that perspective and wanting to get paid fair market after he proved himself when everybody else underestimated him. 

After rookie deals, no player is being held hostage, especially not one that took a $25m signing bonus and $66m in guarantees.  He willingly volunteered to be in the position he's in.  Players might be worth more in later years of a deal, but they took guaranteed money that protected them from a career ending injury that would've made them worth a helluva lot less. 

1 minute ago, pzummo said:

If we are talking about a 5th round RB and the team is running his wheels off 3 years into his rookie deal, I might side with the RB holding out for a new contract or being disgruntled.  It's not his fault he hasn't gotten paid.  It's because nobody believed in him enough to draft him sooner.  I can respect that perspective and wanting to get paid fair market after he proved himself when everybody else underestimated him. 

After rookie deals, no player is being held hostage, especially not one that took a $25m signing bonus and $66m in guarantees.  He willingly volunteered to be in the position he's in.  Players might be worth more in later years of a deal, but they took guaranteed money that protected them from a career ending injury that would've made them worth a helluva lot less. 

I got no issue with the player being paid. My issue is talking about holding a player hostage when said playeesigbed the agreement

2 hours ago, BLM said:

Where are you defending players when teams cut a guy 2 years into their 5 year contract?

That's not how professional sports contracts work. Each contract contains 2 elements, one for each side to live up to. 

The GUARANTEED MONEY is the element the Team is obligated to, and no matter what happens (if a player is cut, traded, voided, whatever, except in case of breach if contract), a team will always have to pay the guaranteed money...

Conversly, the years and salary obligations are the elements the PLAYERS are obligated to...

That's how professional sports contracts are structured...the teams understand this (because they are essentially businesses); in general, players and fans do not...

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Who did the raiders hire after firing Gruden?

They are perfect example of what I am talking about.

They went what 15-16 years between playoff births? And how many HC's???

Same thing with Tampa, they got their ring with Gruden based on Dungy's team but after that they made the playoffs how many times? How many quality coaches did they attract until they got Arians?

So yeah it happens...sometimes it works out for 1 year but then things usually tank.

Even the Broncos.....they are on their 3 HC since firing Fox.

I don't recall any coaching candidates boycotting these teams during the hiring process.

The Raiders woes were all Al Davis making horrible decision after horrible decision in his later years. But if you recall the 'hot candidate' that refused to interview with them I'll be happy to hear it.

Tampa made the playoffs twice after the Superbowl and fired Gruden after back to back 9-7 seasons. And when they hired Lovie Smith he was a hot candidate. In 9 years with the Bears he had 3 losing seasons.

Denver.... Denver won the Superbowl. I would say one of those 3 HCs worked out phenomenally well. 

4 hours ago, peoriabird said:

I personally think that they should not even trade Julio.  The draft capital he would get would not be meaningful enough to take the salary hit or agree to pay a percentage of his base salary which is what teams are requesting.  I would force him to either reconcile with the team and ownership or do his L. Bell impersonation and sit out the season which would save the team valuable cap money.  Side note... Julio's reputation has reached Antonio Brown level and it will be very hard for him at this point to rehabilitate it enough to make any more money in this league.  Brown has to now take 1 year 3 mil dollar contracts which may be Julio's fate going forward if he does not report and repair his relationship with the Falcon's organization and its players especially A. Blank and Ryan.

You're kidding right???

"Julio's reputation has reached Antonio Brown level..." Give me a freaking break! Not even close.

3 hours ago, BLM said:

some posters like to hold players hostage like trent williams. 

You're hilarious bro...  you probably had a rough relationship in the past the way you throw out the word hostage so much!

He gets paid $20 million dollars to play a sport.  HOSTAGE my @ ss.... 

3 hours ago, stizz said:

then you're just bad at business. He's valuable and you need the cap space, so get assets for him. He doesn't want to play here man. You have to let it go.

How...   ATL wins in any of the situations above.  You can maneuver cap.  That's always possible.  If Julio plays, we have a better product on the field.  If he retires, then so be it.  I'm not emotionally connected to Julio, which would allow me to easily fine him and not think twice about it.

I think to expand on a comment earlier.  It would be nice if when a player requests a trade, the team granting the trade is not on the hook for the salary/cap money. I am totally for having the protection for players getting cut getting their guaranteed money and teams taking cap hits. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Exactly.

What makes it worse is that Julio even held out for a contract that he may have still not been happy with. That's just terrible and falls on both him and his agent.

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I don't recall any coaching candidates boycotting these teams during the hiring process.

The Raiders woes were all Al Davis making horrible decision after horrible decision in his later years. But if you recall the 'hot candidate' that refused to interview with them I'll be happy to hear it.

Tampa made the playoffs twice after the Superbowl and fired Gruden after back to back 9-7 seasons. And when they hired Lovie Smith he was a hot candidate. In 9 years with the Bears he had 3 losing seasons.

Denver.... Denver won the Superbowl. I would say one of those 3 HCs worked out phenomenally well. 

Also, Al Davis tended to always try to undermine his HCs. Especially offensive minded HCs.

Remember Mike Shanahan was once the Raiders HC before becoming HC of the Broncos? Al Davis fired him because Shanahan's more run dominant style of football conflicted with Al Davis' throwing bombs downfield style offense he's always loved.

It just reared it's ugly head again when Gruden was there the 1st stint.

4 hours ago, Snowen said:

Do you guys ever learn? Especially with Florio involved?? Before the draft, Florio REPEATEDLY said "Arthur Blank wants a new QB, therefor the Falcons will 100% take a new QB. He makes the decisions". Then as soon as Peter King said it was unlikely on the week of the draft, he changed his tune slightly until we obviously saw there was no QB selected.

Point being, Florio makes assumptions that Arthur Blank is the same as Jerry Jones. This is clearly false, and even if it was true I doubt its solely AB's feelings. I bet TF and Smith also don't want to get peanuts for a HOF WR either, and be a laughing stock of the league like the Texans become since unloading DHop. 

This is clearly a non-story made up by "opinions" of a click-baiter in Florio. 

Which is why I said 'IF'. I wasn't taking Flushio's word as gospel.

The falcons have given Julio every thing he has ever asked for. The guaranteed 15 million of his money and a new contract.  They let him practice if and when he felt like it , which was seldom.  He also came out of a game any time he felt like it, which was often.   I think someone in the new regime took a look at Julio's actions and told him those efforts were no longer satisfactory.  That's when the mule lip came out. Frankly , Julio became spoiled because he is an exceptional athlete, but like Aaron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson, he became , "Unhappy" when he was asked to behave the same way as most players.  He signed a contract, but in spite of that ,  he demanded a new one , and the Falcons obliged. He was obligated to come to OTAS AND TC, but he didn't have to do much of that, after all, he was Julio.  He is showing his behind now like a spoiled brat.  IMO , he KNEW he was on the air with Sterling and was just tring to spur the Falcons along.  Hey Julio, eat your dang Broccoli or you get no dessert.....BRAT ! 

• JD dirtybird21 changed the title to The Featured Julio Thread
  • ya_boi_j featured and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j unpinned and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic