The Featured Julio Thread

Smart coaches keep star players fresh. I Hope As realizes that and doesn’t burn every one like Henry last year. Henry was slow and tired in the playoff game against Ravens. With 17 game season, make sure the guys aren’t burnt out.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

DQ was big part of it. It was his culture. Julio was top WR in the NFL and here we are hating him for taking less % of plays compared to his successor Ridley in similar role. 

Best wr in the nfl between the 20s. I'll give him that. 

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Falcons did very good with out Julio in 2016 coz they spread the ball. I expect AS to be more creative than Sark in 2017 and DK from 2019 to 2020. 
DK play is Ryan to Julio first read, he is not open throw some where. 

Yeah DK wasn't a fan of the run but I think we're oversimplifying things.

If they can't run the ball and the defense can't stop the other team then your options are going to be extremely limited.

I expect AS to have a better game plan but I think we can agree the oline he was working with the Titans was better than what he's walking into with the Falcons. 

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Best wr in the nfl between the 20s. I'll give him that. 

Most doubled WR who opened up for others. That’s what makes Julio man among boys. His ability to create mismatches. 

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah DK wasn't a fan of the run but I think we're oversimplifying things.

If they can't run the ball and the defense can't stop the other team then your options are going to be extremely limited.

I expect AS to have a better game plan but I think we can agree the oline he was working with the Titans was better than what he's walking into with the Falcons. 

Actually Titans OL was worse than Falcons in 2020. They gave less time to RT than Falcons OL gave Ryan. AS had short quick passing game compared to long developing plays in ATL. Add play action and teams not teeing off on pass or run will help. 
With emphasis on Run the defense won’t be sold on pass as much. 

2 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If Arthur Smith can build a respectable run game, it'll open up thing in the passing game with Julio gone.

Yep. And run pass from same formations. Kyle did good with out Julio. Falcons will have spread the ball around and replace Julio with more than Ridley. I would imagine this would be 2 TE led offense.

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Most doubled WR who opened up for others. That’s what makes Julio man among boys. His ability to create mismatches. 

Julio isn't doubled more than any other top wr. This is just another excuse for the guy. If you have some proof to back up that claim id love to see it

4 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

That's because you had 2 WRs with 1000+ yards and Tony Gonzalez with almost a thousand. That's not really a Julio effect. You could easily say that was a Tony G or Roddy effect. We were just a pass happy team that couldn't run the ball for crap. So we lived and died by it. Matt has always been the same guy, with or without Julio. The numbers will just have to adjust to other places. That will be a good thing. Maybe we will finally be balanced again or more balanced.

Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. I didn't say that in 2012 Ryan's numbers went up across the board. They did but that's not what I was saying.

I was saying starting that year Ryan's season averages for his career shot up. His average in yards per season went up by around 1,000 yards. The number of TDs went up. QB rating increased. Yards per pass. etc.

Gonzalez left after 2013. Roddy left 2 years later and he was a shell of his former self. When you take the averages of Ryan's careers and go from 2008- 2011 and then 2012 - 2020 there are significant increases. It could just be Ryan getting better but you can't ignore the insane numbers Julio was putting up during that time. For 7 years he averaged over 100 yards a game.... starting in 2013.

And the "Tony G or Roddy effect" doesn't hold water for the 2009-2011 seasons when the Falcons could run the ball.

8 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Yep. And run pass from same formations. Kyle did good with out Julio. Falcons will have spread the ball around and replace Julio with more than Ridley. I would imagine this would be 2 TE led offense.

Yep, I expect Arthur Smith to go after mismatches on LBs and Safeties.

I think TEs will be used more under AS like how RBs were used quite a bit under Shanny in the passing game.

I am not gonna debate the career of a future first ballot HOF. Who is considered arguably among the best to ever play the position.

I know folks are hurt and I didn’t like that Sharpe interview or idea of trading. Once Julio requested the trade, all bets are off. It’s better to part ways when Julio doesn’t trust the new regime. Get a first round pick and move on. 

10 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I saw fifth-year option wasn’t picked up after the draft, I thought this was the fifth year of his contract, my mistake. 

5th year option has to be picked up prior to the 4th year taking place. That is the way the process works.

Just now, texasfalconfan said:

There is no way the jets are giving up quinnen Williams for julio Jones. I doubt they would give up a 1st for him.  However if they are dumb enough pull the trigger. 

That's a possibility. Especially if Jets owner Woody Johnson is still influencing decisions.

13 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I am not gonna debate the career of a future first ballot HOF. Who is considered arguably among the best to ever play the position.

I know folks are hurt and I didn’t like that Sharpe interview or idea of trading. Once Julio requested the trade, all bets are off. It’s better to part ways when Julio doesn’t trust the new regime. Get a first round pick and move on. 

Check my post history. I made the exact same arguments way before any of this julio drama started. Julio has never been good in the redzone and he takes lots of snaps off. Both are facts. You claim he's doubled? Guess what, so is davante Adams who has played with absolutely nobody across from him his whole career. Julio has played with another future hall of famer, Roddy white, Calvin Ridley. The excuse holds no water. Why do we pretend julio is the only wr in the nfl to be double teamed?

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. I didn't say that in 2012 Ryan's numbers went up across the board. They did but that's not what I was saying.

I was saying starting that year Ryan's season averages for his career shot up. His average in yards per season went up by around 1,000 yards. The number of TDs went up. QB rating increased. Yards per pass. etc.

Gonzalez left after 2013. Roddy left 2 years later and he was a shell of his former self. When you take the averages of Ryan's careers and go from 2008- 2011 and then 2012 - 2020 there are significant increases. It could just be Ryan getting better but you can't ignore the insane numbers Julio was putting up during that time. For 7 years he averaged over 100 yards a game.... starting in 2013.

And the "Tony G or Roddy effect" doesn't hold water for the 2009-2011 seasons when the Falcons could run the ball.

You got to also remember , that same year, Ryan quit having a good run game every year. Ryans numbers weren't down in prior years because he couldn't throw for more, its because he had a dominant run game that scored TDs and eat up a bunch of yards and snaps. He didn't have a decent run game again until 2016.  We all know what happened then. Matt will always spread the ball around to his play makers, no matter who is out there, that's  his job. Whether it's running or throwing it.. he's never tried to be a Brees and pad his stats, just whatever it takes to win. We became pass heavy when Julio got here and that's really been our undoing.  This is probably all a blessing in disguise.

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Check my post history. I made the exact same arguments way before any of this julio drama started. Julio has never been good in the redzone and he takes lots of snaps off. Both are facts. You claim he's doubled? Guess what, so is davante Adams who has played with absolutely nobody across from him his whole career. Julio has played with another future hall of famer, Roddy white, Calvin Ridley. The excuse holds no water.

I totally agree and let’s not forget too many dropped passes.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Jets would likely not even send their own 1st in any discussions. They own Seattles 1st and would be the one they would part with if their was any discussions between the two teams.

True, but it’d be sending a bad message to their fan base. It’s essentially telling the world that they don’t believe they are a contender this year.

• JD dirtybird21 changed the title to The Featured Julio Thread
  • ya_boi_j featured and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j unpinned and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic