The Featured Julio Thread

11 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Tell the NFL to give us the highest 3rd round comp pick for this utter sh*tshow caused by FOX which is an NFL partner. Say his value diminished after this.

Then get at least a 2nd from a team for Julio.

Then essentially you got a 2nd and a 3rd at minimum. 

I'm still waiting to see what the fallout will be after all of this. Gotta at least be some rule changes (if not another form of tampering) or something. Uncle Shay still ain't said nothing about it with his slimy *ss.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I have no problem with him stepping in to insist we get proper value for the pick.  I have a huge problem with him stepping in to save face because he went to the press with "Falcon for life" and renegotiated Julio's contract and then managed to fleece the Patriots for a 2nd for Sanu.

This Falcons for life thing gets way overblown. Pretty much most owners pump their star players. AB got it from Steelers, Packers and Patriots. Sign your star/core players for long time. I don't care about what he said earlier, if AB thinks Julio trade compensation is worse than Sanu, I don't see anything wrong with that take

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Regular 9-5s and professional athletes are two completely different ball games.

Why? Because the industry says so? Its a job. 9-5's work under contracts also. It's work, employment. They are no more important than a d***ed good nurse, policeman, engineer, social worker, teacher, paramedic, etc. They are great at what they do but their pedestal should be no higher than others who excel in their chosen profession.

Just now, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I'm still waiting to see what the fallout will be after all of this. Gotta at least be some rule changes (if not another form of tampering) or something. Uncle Shay still ain't said nothing about it with his slimy *ss.

I'm sure the Network told him to Shut up if he wants to keep his job and let their legal team take it from here. They are likely going to face something.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Williamb said:

Why? Because the industry says so? Its a job. 9-5's work under contracts also. It's work, employment. They are no more important than a d***ed good nurse, policeman, engineer, social worker, teacher, paramedic, etc. They are great at what they do but their pedestal should be no higher than others who excel in their chosen profession.

Pro Athletes generate millions and millions of dollars for these teams, especially ones that are on the Julio level. They bring in a ton of money.

Most people do not have that sort of impact for their employer. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

I don't have enough information to form an opinion on this whole ordeal. If it's as it seems, I'd feel really disappointed with how Julio decided to handle the situation. 

That said, it doesn't seem like a good idea for the falcons to get into the weeds with this. If he doesn't want to be here, try to get as much as possible in return and move on without the circus.

Current falcons (Grady etc) not to mention future free agents are watching. The falcons shouldn't let this situation with Julio paint the entire organization as petty or vindictive.

Just now, falcons007 said:

This Falcons for life thing gets way overblown. Pretty much most owners pump their star players. AB got it from Steelers, Packers and Patriots. Sign your star/core players for long time. I don't care about what he said earlier, if AB thinks Julio trade compensation is worse than Sanu, I don't see anything wrong with that take

Keep in mind, I'm still on the "Florio's full of horse squeeze" train, so I don't think he's right.  I'm just saying, if Arthur Blank wants to meddle because he's embarrassed, he needs to sit down and shut up.

If he wants to insist on proper compensation, which is what you are saying, I have no issue whatsoever with that.  He didn't hire TF and AS to give away our assets.

1 hour ago, ROMERO said:

Good. If im Blank Im not taking less than a 1st for Julio. if not hes not getting traded.

Then what do you do with that roster spot?

Try and force him to play and risk getting absolutely nothing in return except a huge wasted cap hit?

5 minutes ago, BLM said:

Where are you defending players when teams cut a guy 2 years into their 5 year contract?

When a player signs a 5 year deal, they got money up front in the form of a signing bonus to mitigate the risk of an injury or being cut 1/2/3/4 years into that contract.  The player is taking up front money to mitigate their future risks.  Players can and some have taken less up front money with less years on their contract in order to be a Free Agent during their prime years.  If a player wants a bigger signing bonus and more guaranteed money, the team's investment risk is mitigated by the player agreeing to play under contract for more years.

The team takes on the financial risk because they have to pay the guaranteed money regardless of the player's future production.  The reward for the team is that the player is worth more than the team's investment.  The team and the player need to both have risk and reward for a contract to make sense.  The player's risk of being cut is why they get guarantees and money up front.  What mitigates the team's risk of the player not wanting to fulfill their contract after they already took the signing bonus?  

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

And then you cannot find a viable way to sign your draft picks if Grady doesn’t agree to an extension. That ain’t happening.

There are ways to maneuver the cap. Always. It's never, never as doom and gloom as people think.

Think of it this way, the cap is the boogey man that teams use to get rid of popular players without too much pushback from fans...

1 minute ago, pzummo said:

When a player signs a 5 year deal, they got money up front in the form of a signing bonus to mitigate the risk of an injury or being cut 1/2/3/4 years into that contract.  The player is taking up front money to mitigate their future risks.  Players can and some have taken less up front money with less years on their contract in order to be a Free Agent during their prime years.  If a player wants a bigger signing bonus and more guaranteed money, the team's investment risk is mitigated by the player agreeing to play under contract for more years.

The team takes on the financial risk because they have to pay the guaranteed money regardless of the player's future production.  The reward for the team is that the player is worth more than the team's investment.  The team and the player need to both have risk and reward for a contract to make sense.  The player's risk of being cut is why they get guarantees and money up front.  What mitigates the team's risk of the player not wanting to fulfill their contract after they already took the signing bonus?  

Very well said.

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

Pro Athletes generate millions and millions of dollars for these teams, especially ones that are on the Julio level. They bring in a ton of money.

Most people do not have that sort of impact for their employer. 

Teams generate money by the product they put on the field. I have a julio jersey but have never ever watched a falcons game to just watch julio. Pro sports is a luxury that is overly compensated. Any successful business in america has to compete to gain that success...one employee does not make that business successful, but one employee can ruin it.

1 minute ago, pzummo said:

They trade them and get picks in return. 

Sometimes the team is SOL. Calvin Johnson retired early and the Lions requested he pay back 16m. Guess how much he paid back? 1m.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Williamb said:

Teams generate money by the product they put on the field. I have a julio jersey but have never ever watched a falcons game to just watch julio. Pro sports is a luxury that is overly compensated. Any successful business in america has to compete to gain that success...one employee does not make that business successful, but one employee can ruin it.

Maybe not a Falcons fan, But a non Falcons fan watches the Falcons because of who? Julio Jones. He was the star that drew interest from outside fans and markets. The same concept when we had Vick.

One employee does make a huge difference when we are talking about pro sports.

Do you think when Lebron James changed to Miami, Back to Cleveland or to LA that did not change those franchises? Big time athletes are very important for these franchises.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Then what do you do with that roster spot?

Try and force him to play and risk getting absolutely nothing in return except a huge wasted cap hit?

The Falcons have to pay Julio regardless.

So I'd rather pay him and put him on an exclusion list if he doesn't show up than give him away for nothing.

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

Maybe not a Falcons fan, But a non Falcons fan watches the Falcons because of who? Julio Jones. He was the star that drew interest from outside fans and markets. The same concept when we had Vick.

One employee does make a huge difference when we are talking about pro sports.

Do you think when Lebron James changed to Miami, Back to Cleveland or to LA that did not change those franchises? Big time athletes are very important for those franchises.

Funny you would mention lebron who is in the process of talking himself out of a job.

"The New England Patriots are said to be the favorites to land Julio Jones in a trade, and the all-world wide receiver reportedly wants to play in Foxboro. Bill Belichick is being urged to do whatever is necessary to pull off the deal, even if it means trading former Defensive Player of the Year Stephon Gilmore, Brian Mazique of Heavy reports."

54 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

If I'm ATL, I'm working my magic to clear up cap space to sign rookies.

Then give Julio 3 options.

Play... Sit (get fined)....Retire

Plain & simple. I am NOT trading Julio

Yeah, that will make for a wonderful locker room with a new coach and GM trying to make their mark. 

He is gone, and at this point we would be lucky to get that 2nd. Just reality. What good does not trading him do at this point exactly?

2 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

"The New England Patriots are said to be the favorites to land Julio Jones in a trade, and the all-world wide receiver reportedly wants to play in Foxboro. Bill Belichick is being urged to do whatever is necessary to pull off the deal, even if it means trading former Defensive Player of the Year Stephon Gilmore, Brian Mazique of Heavy reports."

If we can afford him that would be a great deal but not sure how we can and still sign our draft picks.

22 minutes ago, Williamb said:

I'm not defending players at all! You sign a contract, you live up to it. Plain and simple. I can't help if their agents(advisors) are slippery snakes who are only there to pad their pockets.

And it’s exactly why players and teams look at it as a business and fans don’t. Business isn’t for everyone 

3 minutes ago, Williamb said:

Funny you would mention lebron who is in the process of talking himself out of a job.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about the Lakers or the NBA😂😂best to stay quiet. And this is coming from a Lakers fan. Bron will leave when he wants to and not a second sooner

56 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

If I'm ATL, I'm working my magic to clear up cap space to sign rookies.

Then give Julio 3 options.

Play... Sit (get fined)....Retire

Plain & simple. I am NOT trading Julio

then you're just bad at business. He's valuable and you need the cap space, so get assets for him. He doesn't want to play here man. You have to let it go.

• JD dirtybird21 changed the title to The Featured Julio Thread
  • ya_boi_j featured and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j unpinned and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic