The Featured Julio Thread

9 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

The way I read that and admittedly this could be projecting, but I'm thinking if it's a first round pick, then it's most likely a 2023 1st rounder instead of a 2022.

That's not to say other compensation wouldn't come with it like a 2022 5th rounder or something of that nature. But for first round I'm think 2 years from now.

Thats how i see it.

8 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Sure, but I would rather trade him to Buffalo for first than Jacksonville for a second, is the point. Even if Jacksonville throws in a little extra the first is just worth more. Like many have said, both those teams are one injury away from a top 15 pick. 

That’s true.  I know we aren’t getting a 1st from JAX or CIN.  At this point I’d be targeting a pick and a player from whomever they are trading with.  

1 minute ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Idk... to sell tickets.  Why would we want to trade him to a team who won’t give us fair compensation?  A late first rounder is not enough to eat that dead cap money IMO.  

There's a benefit to eating it beyond the compensation though.  We get $15.5 million in cap space this season, and basically defer it to next season, when we can better afford the hit.  So we do end up with something a little over $23 million in dead cap spread over two seasons, but the bulk of it hits next season when we can afford it, and we also get the benefit of the cap savings this season, when we can't.

I am basically driving the train that says "keep not trading him as an option on the table," but I acknowledge the benefit of moving on.  He doesn't want to be here, and based on his recent behavior I'm not sure the team really wants him here.  He is emphatically not in our long-term plans. So moving on now to get cap relief to sign the rookie class and get more free agents this season makes a lot of sense.  If we get a late first on top of that?  That's a good deal in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I wouldn’t take Henry for Julio. Henry had more than 800 carries last two years(378 in 2020) and around 1200 carries in last 3 years. That’s too much wear and tear.

Yeah that is a big concern... Especially with his physical running style.

Running backs have a tendency to hit a wall and hit a hard and I can absolutely see him hitting the wall like Turner did.

1 hour ago, hjerry said:

Being Technical, we're not eating any Salary, we're eating the bonuses

Regardless, this is how it looks from the other team's vantage point..

A team trading for Jones on his current salary would take on the $15.3 million in 2021 and $2 million in guaranteed 2022 salary, but that team could release him ahead of 2022 and only be left with that $2 million in dead money — essentially, a $17.3 million one-year deal. If they decided to keep him, that team would owe Jones a salary of $11.5 million in both 2022 and 2023, which would bring the total owed to $38.3 million over three years.

Which averages $12.76 million over 3 years. This from a salary perspective is Robbie Anderson and Corey Davis territory. In my opinion, we should get a 1st for Jones with this scenerio

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Regardless of what goes down I'm frakking glad I got to see this legend play in a Falcon's jersey. I hold him no ill will whatsoever. a man has to do what a man has to do. 

Say it louder for the people in the back!!!!!

23 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

To me this is sad that we're talking about trading JJ. I know ppl are seeing him in a negative light now and it's def impacted my view of him also but he's been a major part of this franchise. If we can get a 1st for an aging WR, then it's a no brainer as far as business is concerned. The fan in me wishes he stays a Falcon til he retires. Oh well. 

Everyone does man. That's why everyone is reacting so negatively, if fans didn't love Julio they wouldn't react this way. At the end of the day the pain comes from the fact that it feels like Julio never really cared about the fans, and is looking at this purely from a business perspective. As a fellow adult, I can do nothing but empathize with Julio, as a fan it feels like a stab in the back. 

1 hour ago, gregoryel said:

Even if we got 2 firsts, 9 times out of 10 the drafted players will never be as good as Julio. Tough pill to swallow if he's dealt.

Don't be a Debbie Downer.. How in the world do you know who we will pick in the future.. and How do you know they would be bust picks??   Good night man,, think positive.. The new coaches has given us the best Draft I've ever seen us have.. What makes you think they can't do that again.. Should be even better as they learn. How  bout being a positive Paul .. Try it, you'll love the positive vibes.. Much better than negative vibes..  This Falcon team is going to be at least twice as good as the team we had this last season.. Hold me to it...

Most of the teams in discussion are playoff teams, so a second round pick from them is only slightly better than a third. I wouldn’t agree to a trade unless it was for a first round pick. We may have to restructure grady to get us under the cap, but I would keep julio for another year if we can’t get a first rounder. Also if we ended up keeping him it would be a real test for matt ryan, because if we dont average 30 points a game with Julio pitts and ridley on the field he should be the one traded next season and completely rebuild this thing

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Imagine a “contender” giving us a 1st and something happens in week one that sends their season up in flames, netting us a top 5 pick for a (by then) 33 year old WR.

this happened in reverse to Falcons in reverse in 1999.   Dan Reeves inexplicably gave up a future 1st rounder to draft the Mississippi State Tight End - Reggie Kelly (I believe that was his name).    Falcons were coming off a SB year so Reeves thought it would be low 1st rounder -  Jamal Anderson got hurt, the season imploded and Ravens ended up getting our pick that was #5 overall.   They drafted Atlanta-area HS RB and Tennessee Volunteer phenom Jamal Lewis - who had a terrific career and was a 2,000yd back and SB winner.

that trade still makes me sick.

Just now, g-dawg said:

this happened in reverse to Falcons in reverse in 1999.   Dan Reeves inexplicably gave up a future 1st rounder to draft the Mississippi State Tight End - Reggie Kelly (I believe that was his name).    Falcons were coming off a SB year so Reeves thought it would be low 1st rounder -  Jamal Anderson got hurt, the season imploded and Ravens ended up getting our pick that was #5 overall.   They drafted Atlanta-area HS RB and Tennessee Volunteer phenom Jamal Lewis - who had a terrific career and was a 2,000yd back and SB winner.

So... trade him to the Titans, Henry gets hurt, their season implodes, WE PICK 5TH OVERALL!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Maybe Julio has lost faith in winning with Ryan. I don't see how that's such a far-fetched conclusion. 

Or, maybe Ryan soured on winning with Julio.

He’s often hurt with at least nagging injuries, doesn’t seem to be all in as a team player in recent years (i.e. always skipping OTAs, contract complaints), and has been just average at best in the redzone through his career. 😂

I’m almost glad a divorce is coming so each player has an opportunity to prove their real worth independent of each other.

Just now, g-dawg said:

this happened in reverse to us one year.   Dan Reeves inexplicably gave up a future 1st rounder to draft the Mississippi State Tight End - Reggie Kelly (I believe that was his name).    Falcons were coming off a SB year so Reeves thought it would be low 1st rounder -  Jamal Anderson got hurt, the season imploded and Ravens ended up getting our pick that was #5 overall.   They drafted Atlanta-area HS RB and Tennessee Volunteer phenom Jamal Lewis - who had a terrific career and was a 2,000yd back and SB winner.

You ain't have to remind everyone of this.🤢

1 hour ago, Rings said:

Imo a second isn’t worth taking the dead money hit.  Call his bluff if that’s the case.  Hate sounded like a broken record but Sanu and Hurst garnered a second round pick, even with the contract (that we eat a lot of), Julio for a first makes sense.  I mean, Orlando Brown is a solid to good tackle and got a first.

Can’t afford him without the new regime either 1) Convincing Grady to extend and/or 2) The regime even wants to extend Grady. 
Personally, i think Grady is out the door after this year. He’s not worth the giant cap hit he’ll be. 

Dead cap is just the price you pay when you do these type of deals. good news is the dead cap is spread over two years, the cap it’self goes up next year and there is no other dead cap other than JJ’s (barring something unforeseen) to deal with next year

• JD dirtybird21 changed the title to The Featured Julio Thread
  • ya_boi_j featured and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j unpinned and pinned this topic
  • ya_boi_j locked, unpinned and unfeatured this topic