Adam Schein’s 9 Bold Predictions (NFL.com)

So I am generally not a huge fan of Schein, but it’s a read. A refreshing read...yes a read that is entangled in the Julio Jones saga, but a positive perspective.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bold-predictions-for-2021-nfl-season-aaron-rodgers-lifts-broncos-julio-jones-fue

the rest in is the link, including a snippet about who he sees Julio balling out for, and a laughable compensation package for A-Rod.

5) The Falcons win 10 games without Julio Jones

I'd never trade Julio myself, but it appears that's where we're headed. Sad for Falcons fans, but on the bright side, I do like the overall outlook in Atlanta with Arthur Smith taking the reins as head coach.

Smith is the right guy to maximize the offensive talent beyond Julio. Think about what he did in Tennessee, turning Ryan Tannehill, Derrick Henry and A.J. Brown into a prolific trio. Having just turned 36, Matt Ryan still has plenty left in the tank. Under Smith, I think we'll get a quarterback closer to the guy we saw in Atlanta under Kyle Shanahan -- you know, when Ryan won MVP? Smith coaches up tight ends beautifully, and now he has an absolute freak at the position in Kyle Pitts. Calvin Ridley has already shown he can excel as a WR1, balling out while Julio was injured last season. And overall, Smith brings the kind of winning attitude -- and ability to finish -- that has been lacking in recent years for the Falcons.

6) The Titans win 11 games with Julio Jones

I keep thinking Tennessee makes the most sense as a landing spot for Julio. The Titans lost Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis in free agency, leaving the passing attack thin on weaponry. It'd be an out-of-conference trade for the Falcons. And Arthur Smith obviously knows the Titans roster, so he can pick a player (a linebacker or offensive lineman?) to get in return. Imagine Julio Jones and A.J. Brown running routes for Ryan Tannehill with the best back in the game, Derrick Henry, mauling cats on the ground. I'm in!

Mike Vrabel is a great coach, and I think his defense added some enticing pieces this offseason. Bud Dupree was a superb signing, and barring unexpected setbacks in his recovery from ACL surgery, he should be able to provide the kind of pass rush Tennessee sorely needs. Meanwhile, Denico Autry's a rock on the defensive front and Janoris Jenkins remains a capable corner at age 32. Draft-wise, Tennessee could end up with a steal in Caleb Farley, the spectacularly gifted cornerback who would've been long gone by pick No. 22 if not for health concerns. And versatile DB Elijah Molden was a real nice snag at the No. 100 overall pick.

Vrabel went 9-7 in his first two years, then took the division with an 11-5 mark in 2020. If Julio joins the party, I see another 11-win campaign in 2021.

45 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I keep thinking Tennessee makes the most sense as a landing spot for Julio. The Titans lost Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis in free agency, leaving the passing attack thin on weaponry. It'd be an out-of-conference trade for the Falcons. And Arthur Smith obviously knows the Titans roster, so he can pick a player (a linebacker or offensive lineman?) to get in return. Imagine Julio Jones and A.J. Brown running routes for Ryan Tannehill with the best back in the game, Derrick Henry, mauling cats on the ground. I'm in!

Mike Vrabel is a great coach, and I think his defense added some enticing pieces this offseason. Bud Dupree was a superb signing, and barring unexpected setbacks in his recovery from ACL surgery, he should be able to provide the kind of pass rush Tennessee sorely needs. Meanwhile, Denico Autry's a rock on the defensive front and Janoris Jenkins remains a capable corner at age 32. Draft-wise, Tennessee could end up with a steal in Caleb Farley, the spectacularly gifted cornerback who would've been long gone by pick No. 22 if not for health concerns. And versatile DB Elijah Molden was a real nice snag at the No. 100 overall pick.

Vrabel went 9-7 in his first two years, then took the division with an 11-5 mark in 2020. If Julio joins the party, I see another 11-win campaign in 2021.

So, he’s saying the Titans give up a pick/player combo for Jones and win one more game? 

Makes sense. 

14 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

So, he’s saying the Titans give up a pick/player combo for Jones and win one more game? 

Makes sense. 

Yes and no...maybe without Julio he feels they win 8-9 games after losing Jonnu and Artie Smith.

1 hour ago, RYNE said:

This team ain’t winning 10 games WITH Julio Jones. 

Sure did not the last 2 years.  Aholeio did not make many TD's either.  You would think he would have more.   I guess TD's are not in his job description.  LOL... i guess I am getting past the anger... the dissatisfaction and disappointment, the sadness and moving to I don't give a sheet.  Just make things hard as we can for the Diva... burn him... make him live up to his contract or fine him for sitting on the bench. Tell him to get his lazy Diva a$$ to practice.  Don't want any more turf toe or sore thumb injuries from pulling his groin.

:flame: Fire him up!  Light a fire under his lazy 15.8 mil dollar a$$.  You don't win warming the bench then get cry about how you want to win.... on national media.

I guess I still have to work through the bitterness and revenge... 😂

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

Any team that want this disgruntled bench warmer who has a sore thumb and turf toe with a cramping hammy while pulling on his groin, should have to pay through the nose.  I say make Aholeio complete his contract.  If he doesn't then fine him.  Claw back that guaranteed money.

You don't get to say you want to win while sitting on a bench.  You don't win without making TD'S. Guy is making 66 mil and complains... 

Blank got new coaches and they are making a decent oline and Aholeio is crying woe is me.  His salary is holding the team back.. what an entitled Dive... make him play the season in a red and black tutu.

Burn him like a marshmallow.

:flame:

I would be interested in knowing how the early announcement of next year cap number affects this trade. We know how much larger Matt contract will be and that we can’t move him then you add Julio cap penalty and we probably eat up most what extra cap there would be

5 hours ago, shc said:

With Julio, I go back to why now?  And it’d be funny if he goes to Tennessee, because if he does, not sure how that’s much different than just staying here from a regime perspective. 

Absolutely correct!

8 hours ago, Realsurfin said:

Any team that want this disgruntled bench warmer who has a sore thumb and turf toe with a cramping hammy while pulling on his groin, should have to pay through the nose.  I say make Aholeio complete his contract.  If he doesn't then fine him.  Claw back that guaranteed money.

You don't get to say you want to win while sitting on a bench.  You don't win without making TD'S. Guy is making 66 mil and complains... 

Blank got new coaches and they are making a decent oline and Aholeio is crying woe is me.  His salary is holding the team back.. what an entitled Dive... make him play the season in a red and black tutu.

Burn him like a marshmallow.

:flame:

SHOW ME ON THE DOLL WHERE HE TOUCHED YOU | Imgur Meme on ME.ME

1 hour ago, Aluminafalcon said:

I would be interested in knowing how the early announcement of next year cap number affects this trade. We know how much larger Matt contract will be and that we can’t move him then you add Julio cap penalty and we probably eat up most what extra cap there would be

I know you’re just using that figure of speech to talk cap, but in general I never get folks saying we ‘can’t move Matt because of his salary’. 

My question is, unless he shows he suddenly can’t put up mid 4000s and 30tds or so, and can’t run the offense effectively, why would anyone want to? Yes, he’ll have a big cap hit next year, but QB cap hits are almost always high, especially when that QB is a future HOFer.

Its almost built into the cap when you think about it. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I know you’re just using that figure of speech to talk cap, but in general I never get folks saying we ‘can’t move Matt because of his salary’. 

My question is, unless he shows he suddenly can’t put up mid 4000s and 30tds or so, and can’t run the offense effectively, why would anyone want to? Yes, he’ll have a big cap hit next year, but QB cap hits are almost always high, especially when that QB is a future HOFer.

We will just restructure it again and make 2023 the year we take a ton of his cap. If the cap ceiling for 2022 is 208m I can't fathom we will have Ryan playing at 48m.

Likely will kick down 10m or so to drop him under 40 and give us some room to play with. 2023 cap will be the year its rumored to sky rocket up so it won't hurt us adding that extra 10 and making Ryan's cap hit the final year of his contract 50m. Not to mention Ridley and Grady's contracts will be up so depending on what we do with them that's even more money and Jake and Deion will be in the last year of their deals as well.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

8 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Exactly, it QBs hit, then the real cap figures start. 

9 hours ago, RYNE said:

This team ain’t winning 10 games WITH Julio Jones. 

And why not? We haven’t really lost any studs (Jones will be first). We upgraded significantly at RB, OL, Secondary and even interior DL. 

To be more specific: 

Mike Davis definitely upgrades the Ito and Gurley experiment. Still got time to add a back if needed. Patterson, while listed at RB is both a WR and STs talent and adds explosiveness

OL just got a lot deeper between FA signings and drafting of Mayfield and Dalman. There should be significant competition at LG and OC to field a more cohesive scheme. Plus, Henny, Lindstrom and McGary all have game experience. 

WR and TE will take a bit of a hit with Jones, but added Pitts (yes, he’s a TE, but he does move around), still got Calvin, an ascending Gage, Sharpe actually is a NFL quality WR w/ experience in Smith’s scheme and Hurst, who did well last year, ought to do well with Smith who has a proven track record w/ making TEs successful. Actually, Pitts should as well.

QB we’re good to go, and this scheme really fits Matt. He hasn’t declined and still did well in a very garbage DK scheme. I see a big improvement, which puts him back in Pro Bowl and possibly All Pro talk.

Overall on offense, the Smith effect should be great as well.

On defense we lost nothing.

Keke, Allen and Kazee were all garbage and slow. Harris and Harmon alone made that group better. Adding Grant was a great move. I see no reason for him to not be a day one starter

Cominsky, JTM and Means, who are all JAGs but good role players, did well when Ulbrich took over. I see zero reason for regression. Marlon is essentially a rookie who has pro experience. He was a second round pick for a reason. He wasn’t a reach by TD. Graham is a good looking prospect w/ a great RAS score and good tape. Grady is still here. I don’t know much about the NTs we brought in...So no comment there.

Fowler is in a scheme that much more resembles what he excelled in at LA. 

We lost nothing at LB. Walker and Foye are ascending talent and Debo is still a stud. Copland and Mingo can play both 43 and 34 OLBs and rush off edge. Are they spectacular? Don’t need to be. They are steady and proven commodities.

At CB adding Moreau was a great move, we have a Terrell in yr 2, who is an ascending talent, added Hall, who i like. Sheffield and Oliver, i think, will be much better in Pees’ scheme. I think Avery Williams is listed as CB/S but if nothing else is explosive and a great STs add.

So why wouldn’t we be better?

I wish that we had a deeper and better rotation at Edge. I’m hoping that gets addressed. Still got time and should gain cap space once the Julio trade goes through.

So where exactly did we regress at? I don’t see any regression. In fact, i see an improved team with much more coherent schemes on both sides of the ball and much better coordinators.

8 hours ago, Realsurfin said:

Sure did not the last 2 years.  Aholeio did not make many TD's either.  You would think he would have more.   I guess TD's are not in his job description.  LOL... i guess I am getting past the anger... the dissatisfaction and disappointment, the sadness and moving to I don't give a sheet.  Just make things hard as we can for the Diva... burn him... make him live up to his contract or fine him for sitting on the bench. Tell him to get his lazy Diva a$$ to practice.  Don't want any more turf toe or sore thumb injuries from pulling his groin.

:flame: Fire him up!  Light a fire under his lazy 15.8 mil dollar a$$.  You don't win warming the bench then get cry about how you want to win.... on national media.

I guess I still have to work through the bitterness and revenge... 😂

I have no problem with it guy was hurt, on a bad team that fired the coach he liked working with.  Of course he's upset and didn't risk further injury in meaningless games, calling him a diva might make us feel good or even be true to an extent but isn't helpful from a team perspective.  Sit down new coaching staff and GM and figure out is it easier to trade him or pull him back into the fold.  Can you afford to hold on till in season to trade him when an injury happens.  

Teams that feel any player owes them anything or that get emotional about the process of team building are destined to fail.  Gotta be as stoic as possible as a FO in the NFL.  Guy burns you, okay whatever how can we prevent that in the future and maximize that players value while they're still here.  Being like a vindictive ex just makes other players go I'm never signing there cause if things get bad it's gonna be like a break up and no one likes a break up.  Keep it professional