Calvin ridley interrogative

7 minutes ago, run_vick_run said:

Do you think calvin will or can be a probowler? How many yards he will give us as 1wr? Will he miss 1 or 2 games due to injury. Im 80% sure de wont make the playoff without julio

He's proven he has the talent to be a WR1, and he's not allergic to touchdowns.  If defenses start doubling him then it's up to Smith to scheme the offense to give defenses much more to worry about, which right now I have confidence that he can do.  He's got Pitts, Hurst, and Mike Davis to get the ball to and I do think they'll all be impact players this season.  So we'll probably see some big games from Ridley followed by others where defenses clamp down on him and try to make us beat them by throwing to a single covered Gage or by running Mike Davis against a light run box. 

Before all this mess i was leaning toward 70/30 that we'd make the playoffs but now I'm down to 50/50.  Of course our playoff chances are hurt by removing Julio from our equation but we still have a ton of talent and hopefully a coach who knows how to use it

If CR18 puts up a similar season, he’ll be a Pro-Bowler. I say yes. 

I think 1100-1300 yards and 10 TDs is reasonable. Maybe even 100+ catches. 

His play style isn’t conducive to getting injured as he usually goes down before contact, goes out of bounds or takes a glancing blow. He doesn’t seek out contact like JJ11. 

I’m in the 50%-60% range. If Pitts is a difference maker early on, I think they have a real shot. It may just look different from what we expect. I really don’t like the depth situation without Julio though. 

5 hours ago, run_vick_run said:

Do you think calvin will or can be a probowler? How many yards he will give us as 1wr? Will he miss 1 or 2 games due to injury. Im 80% sure de wont make the playoff without julio

I don't think y'all realize this, but Ridley is already an All-Pro WR.

He made the All-Pro 2nd Team last season.

All-Pro honors are way better than Pro Bowl honors(pro bowl isn't near the honor it once was.)

6 hours ago, run_vick_run said:

He should have been a Pro Bowler last season, but being the best for one of the worst teams doesn't grab people's attention.

1 hour ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

If CR18 puts up a similar season, he’ll be a Pro-Bowler. I say yes. 

I think 1100-1300 yards and 10 TDs is reasonable. Maybe even 100+ catches. 

His play style isn’t conducive to getting injured as he usually goes down before contact, goes out of bounds or takes a glancing blow. He doesn’t seek out contact like JJ11. 

I’m in the 50%-60% range. If Pitts is a difference maker early on, I think they have a real shot. It may just look different from what we expect. I really don’t like the depth situation without Julio though. 

We'll be fine without Julio, probably even better. We don't need the distraction of anyone who isn't committed to doing what's expected of them. Wouldn't hurt to snag someone's WR2 when we trade him. Whomever that is will need a little more cap space anyway.

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

Teams win without Jones all the time in this league, and with far less at WR1 than Rid many times.

This is a team sport. If one 32 year old, oft banged up WR who can’t score TDs breaks this team, then we have much bigger worries than that. 

^ This

9 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

We'll be fine without Julio, probably even better. We don't need the distraction of anyone who isn't committed to doing what's expected of them. Wouldn't hurt to snag someone's WR2 when we trade him. Whomever that is will need a little more cap space anyway.

^ This

Truth. We need everybody on the same page around here for a change. And I wonder how people would view trading him if they bring in, say, Justin Houston, and he puts up 8-9 sacks for us, while helping our defense overall? 

The  money we get back by moving him, and what that can be used for, shouldn't be overlooked.

Gone will be the curl patters of the Koetter era. As a rookie, Calvin excelled running the WCO concepts of Sark.  I don't think anyone runs a better crossing pattern in the NFL. Remember Bama last year? He can be used a lot like Smith was in that offense. Schemed open all over the middle of the field so that Ryan can hit him in stride and make big plays. That is coming back to Atlanta. 

I can understand Julio's frustration with the last two years. The team was not playing to their best abilities or to their skill set. That's coming back and it's going to be exciting. Too bad he's probably going to miss out.

23 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Truth. We need everybody on the same page around here for a change. And I wonder how people would view trading him if they bring in, say, Justin Houston, and he puts up 8-9 sacks for us, while helping our defense overall? 

The  money we get back by moving him, and what that can be used for, shouldn't be overlooked.

Preach, brother.

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

Dont forget, Gage is good enough to be a big help to Ridley too.

I'm just not that concerned about any huge dropoff seeing as how you know who isnt on the field for half the snaps anyways.  And the main thing is we have a coach who has the brains to get it done.

I’m not that concerned either but more because i believe we will be more of a run the ball style offense now. 

Or at least run well enough to keep the defense honest style, which will free up all the Receivers more. 

23 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Gone will be the curl patters of the Koetter era. As a rookie, Calvin excelled running the WCO concepts of Sark.  I don't think anyone runs a better crossing pattern in the NFL. Remember Bama last year? He can be used a lot like Smith was in that offense. Schemed open all over the middle of the field so that Ryan can hit him in stride and make big plays. That is coming back to Atlanta. 

I can understand Julio's frustration with the last two years. The team was not playing to their best abilities or to their skill set. That's coming back and it's going to be exciting. Too bad he's probably going to miss out.

Not our naturally curly routes?! 🥺

NCH.jpg

28 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I may be in the minority, but I'd almost prefer to roll over the cap to next year when we will have the full litter to pick from in Free Agency and also a more inflated cap.

As it stands now, we'd probably only be able to get our hands on stopgap players that are at the end of their careers.

May even make sense to restructure someone like Grady to frontload some of their deals to gain more future cap space.  Gives us a chance to evaluate the current roster in the new scheme's before committing large chunks of future cap.

2 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

I may be in the minority, but I'd almost prefer to roll over the cap to next year when we will have the full litter to pick from in Free Agency and also a more inflated cap.

As it stands now, we'd probably only be able to get our hands on stopgap players that are at the end of their careers.

May even make sense to restructure someone like Grady to frontload some of their deals to gain more future cap space.  Gives us a chance to evaluate the current roster in the new scheme's before committing large chunks of future cap.

Well, I'd guess anyone they bring in, like an older vet like Houston, would be a short term hire, like we did with Freeney. That paid big dividends for us. I'm hoping the same if they bring in another PR guy. At least I hope  that'd be the case. I mentioned Houston because he has ties here, so that might work to our advantage.

I think (I HOPE) this front office is done with these restructures for a long while. We are better off eliminating a problem once and for all by trading Jones than adding another down the road problem by extending Grady needlessly. Let him earn it with this new regime and then talk about his future.

I get doing it with a QB, especially one who is headed to the HOF one day like Matt. For everybody else, I'm all for tagging them if they won't sign on a reasonable deal, then reloading before trading/letting them go. 

And let's hope the cap makes a big jump in 22, too! That'd help things a ton. I'm like you. I want as much free cap each year as we can scrounge up going forward.

7 hours ago, falconsFTW said:

He's proven he has the talent to be a WR1, and he's not allergic to touchdowns.  If defenses start doubling him then it's up to Smith to scheme the offense to give defenses much more to worry about, which right now I have confidence that he can do.  He's got Pitts, Hurst, and Mike Davis to get the ball to and I do think they'll all be impact players this season.  So we'll probably see some big games from Ridley followed by others where defenses clamp down on him and try to make us beat them by throwing to a single covered Gage or by running Mike Davis against a light run box. 

Before all this mess i was leaning toward 70/30 that we'd make the playoffs but now I'm down to 50/50.  Of course our playoff chances are hurt by removing Julio from our equation but we still have a ton of talent and hopefully a coach who knows how to use it

He seems to be super allergic to TD with out Julio taking double teams. Ridley had 3 TD in 9 games Julio didn’t play meaningful snaps. 6 TD in 7 games With Julio.

More than talent it will depend on AS scheming guys. More than Ridley, Pitts is the wild card. If he can learn the offense and get better every week. This team can do some damage with out Julio. 

Can Ridley be a number 1 great Question.  Well last year he finished 5th in the league in recieving yards and had 9 TDs and he was only the lead guy in half the games.  I think he will do just fine as a Number 1 reciever.

1 hour ago, Thiccolas Cage said:

Ya'll can go ahead and tell Calvin Ridley he finna be sh!! on like JJ if he thinks he is leaving ATL in a few years.

players move on from their original teams all the time.  there’s a way to do it with class and to show some gratitude and appreciation for a team owner that made him one of the highest paid players at his position.  I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation from the fanbase